RYZEN 7 1700 vs i7 7700k for gaming and streaming?

HOonix

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
I just ordered my RYZEN 7 1700 and I wanted to know which one is better for gaming and streaming. I game at 1080p with a GTX 1060 6GB.

Solution
i7 is a bit faster than the r7, most benchmarks shows that is 10 to 20 frames per second faster

things have improved form most games, especially with bios updates things have been around almost equal last two weeks

things can improve more, so keep a eye on updates on your mainboard bios on the manufacturer website and also update for your games

ryzen seem to like to be used at 1440p more than 1080p

your gpu allows it, you will discover later what settings will benefit you more

atm those two are the best option on high end, but the r7 is cheaper and comes with a nice cooler, so i wouldn't buy the i7, it seems that most people are reporting the same, r7 runs games smoother, more stable at higher minimum framerates, i7 is not as...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i7 is a bit faster than the r7, most benchmarks shows that is 10 to 20 frames per second faster

things have improved form most games, especially with bios updates things have been around almost equal last two weeks

things can improve more, so keep a eye on updates on your mainboard bios on the manufacturer website and also update for your games

ryzen seem to like to be used at 1440p more than 1080p

your gpu allows it, you will discover later what settings will benefit you more

atm those two are the best option on high end, but the r7 is cheaper and comes with a nice cooler, so i wouldn't buy the i7, it seems that most people are reporting the same, r7 runs games smoother, more stable at higher minimum framerates, i7 is not as stable there sometimes, but runs them faster

i do prefer stability, and also, my monitor can't run over 60hz, so i don't care about high frames per second, nothing over 60fps will help most people, only those with 144hz monitors

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The GTX1060 should be too slow for the CPU to matter most of the time.

For pure gaming-only use in current games, the i5/i7 would have been better. If you multi-task while gaming or for future-proofing, Ryzen may be better as more games get fixed for better threading and more titles begin to make more extensive use of multi-threading.

If I had to build a new PC around a $200+ CPU, I would personally go with the R5-1600.

Most games will leave half (or more) of the Ryzen's CPU cores idle and unused. The i7's cores are faster, and so will run any game that doesn't use more than 8 threads, faster.

However, because the 1700 will have tons of unused resources sitting around, doing things in the background (such as streaming) will have a smaller impact on gaming performance.

HOonix

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

I game most of the time so yeah I guess the i7 7700k is a better choice.
P.S. What about future proofing?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
amd is futureproof, because the am4 platform is new and will be supported by amd for at least 5 years

intel likes to change platforms each 1 year, so the 7700k will be a cpu for a socket that will be abandoned soon

as ost of us, this shouldn't be something to worry about, when most of us change cpu, we change mainboard, ram, ddr5 will be here next year

ddr4 seems to be a short lived ram technology, am4 amd with ddr5 seems to be already in testing stages

intel always waits alot to adopt ram, they did it in the past, they will do it in the future

Intel has lately been changing sockets every 2 years. It looks like socket 1151 will be getting another generation though, so there will be upgrade options.

Ryzen's extra cores will likely cause it to age (relatively) better, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily ever be a better pure gaming CPU than the 7700K.

I don't think either is a wrong choice.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
wow, from 1 year to two!

world will change thanks to that!

the rumor is that lga 1151 will die this year, time will tell

am4 supposedly will be used untill 2021, possibly more, ddr5 will tell us more on this

intel will adopt ddr5 sooner if they keep changing sockets and chipsets like changing pants, that is a advantage there

personally i would go with amd am4 socket and ryzen

you game alot but it is not the only thing you do, same for intel cpus, other thigns matter and amd atm lets you do them at the same time, it looses in games but not for much, not like in the past, where the difference was really big, and even there, you could play anythign on amd, just at lower fps, it is not like you can't play games on amd, you can, and in the future as fast or faster than intel currently offers

let see their 8th gen and what has to offer

InvalidError

Titan

Which one ends up being the most future-proof will depend heavily on whether game developers will adopt massively parallel game engine design. At the moment, the number of games that show significant scaling with more cores and threads may still be countable on one hand. With the number of developers declaring their support for Ryzen in current and future games, this could change in the not-too-distant future.

In principle, Ryzen should be the more future-proof option since most games currently leave most of its potential untapped.

I wouldn't worry about the platform's future-proofing since most people who put relatively high-end CPUs on their new motherboard rarely put another CPU in the same motherboard during its useful life anyway. Since AMD's chipsets also have somewhat sub-par connectivity, many people will be itching for new motherboards with refreshed IOs in time for Ryzen 2/refresh/whatever.

HOonix

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from HOonix : "RYZEN 7 1700 VS i7 7700K for gaming"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from HOonix : "Best CPU for gaming"

Thanks for the answer.
I'm getting the Cryorig H7 (I already have a HYPER 212X) and a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVME SSD.
I have a GTX 1060 6GB

Finesse_ck

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

No offense but people that are going to be simply gaming should really consider something like a i5 7600k since it's of a better value, It's really foolish in my opinion to buy a 7700k to strictly play games.

I own the Ryzen 1700, side by side a buddies oc'd 7700k, Sure in most titles he has a higher FPS within 5-7% of mine However since I got a stable 4ghz overclock (multiplier is 40.25 i believe) and since the AGESA Microcode update and using a better ram kit really closed the gap the 7700k had over it, Infinity fabric loves high frequency ram kits currently clocked at 2900mhz it's really like a 2-4% difference now. The Ryzen 1700 plays games noticibly smoother. If content creation is something you'd want to do, streaming & gaming on the same platform the 1700 without a doubt is the better option, and it's a solid future proof option considering AM4+ will be supported another 5 years or so, Intel's more than likely going to be moving onto a new socket soon.

Now since your primarily just gaming, seems that your going to be simply gaming on the pc, in which case I'd say a 7600k is of better value than a 7700k since your not gonna really need the extra threads. Since you seem to have an interest in having a stream capable pc, along with how underwhelming Intel's Quadcore chips appear since ryzen, I'd Highly Reccomend the Ryzen 1600 Which includes a decent wraith cooler that'll handle a modest overclock just fine (my wraith spire handled 3.9-4ghz easily) but the 1600 is a 6c/12t chip, so you'll definately be able to stream on it, and it's of better value than the current i5's I think you should really consider the 1600, it seems to be perfect for someone who may consider streaming but primarily games on the pc, and the cpu is only 220$ it's a really good deal.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Actually you're wrong on the i7 vs i5 part. I understand where your coming form but there are plenty of situations where an i7 > i5 in Gaming. If the user is not overclocking, i would almost always be inclined to recommend a i7 7700 (locked) over a 7600K since they are priced not far apart and the extra threads can carry in some games more than you would expect. Some games can show over 10+ FPS gains in both Minimum and Average FPS. See here >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XylVCItVhS4. (The Witcher 3 showed almost a constant 20-30 FPS gain from i5 to i7 even with an i5 @ 4.8 GHz in the mix. Pretty impressive stuff).

Although i agree on the Ryzen part, against the i5's of this generation the R5 1500's and 1600's are really fantastic value all round for Gaming, Workstation and Streaming. Curious to see how Intel will react in the coming months-year.

HOkay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
1700 or even a 1600/1600x if streaming is a big deal for you, otherwise a 7700k will give you slightly higher frame rates when your GPU is not bottlenecked (a 1060 will be your limiting factor in most games anyway).
If you've ordered a 1700 I'd stick with that. Get a decent cooler, overclock it to 3.8+ & enjoy your games!

Finesse_ck

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

Plenty of situations, what situations? I understand the 7700k is obviously better than an i5 lol but if your just gaming it's kind of foolish to throw more money at a 7700k, I mean unless your always playing battlefield or a gaming that could take advantage of the extra threads, I am speaking roughly on price to performance, in that case I personally don't find it worth it, the i5 4690k was one of the best cpu's I've ever used. Granted I was strictly gaming with it, I really don't think hyperthreading is worth paying all that extra for, where the performance impact is negligible A 10-15 fps drop or boost doesn't justify a $100 upgrade at least to me so how exactly is that wrong, mate? It's funny when people love to say you don't need all those cores for gaming blah blah blah, but yet they justify paying 100$ more or so for hyperthreading? cmon.

HOkay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Try streaming Ghost Recon Wildlands, that maxes all 8 threads on my 6700k@4.8GHz so I suspect it'd be dropping frames like mad if I tried CPU-heavy streaming on top of that. Point is the 1700 has more headroom for such things so is probably a smarter buy.

TRENDING THREADS