jcpjunior

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hey guys. I am about to upgrade my pc. I just got some parts:

Oculus Rift
Alienware AW3418DW
Zotac GTX 1080 TI 11GB AMP! Extreme Core Edition

Now i need to choose my CPU.

I live in Brazil and the price of somethings is kind of crazy here.... my only good options would be:

Ryzen 7 1700 and i5 8600k

If i buy the ryzen 7 1700+motherboard(b350) -> PRICE $376.

If i buy the i5 8600k+motherboard(z370) + cooler -> PRICE 658

That is a $282 difference...

I know that the i5 8600k is better for gaming, but is really worth the price difference?

I do have the money, but if the difference is like minimal there is no point of spending almost 300 dollars...

The pc is going to be use only for GAMING.

Solution
Pushing 120 FPS does require a fair bit of CPU horsepower, and Intel CPUs are still a little better for high FPS gaming last I checked. But I think it unlikely that the performance difference is enough to warrant the large price difference.

Also, it might be worth waiting to see how the upcoming security patches for AMD/Intel shake out in terms of performance hits. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/meltdown-spectre-exploits-intel-amd-arm-nvidia,36219.html

Mark RM

Admirable
I agree, get the 1600X, a nice cooler, solid motherboard and OC it, spend the savings on a great GPU/Monitor combo - you'll feel it way more on the graphics end than the CPU end.

No it's not $282 dollars better in my opinion when that's the price of a great monitor or upgraded video card.

The other factor is simple, AMD has dedicated CPU's to the AM4 form factor till 2020, so that means upgrades will be easy. Intel never says a word about platform life and changes chipset support as often as my wife changes shoes.

firstjameswilson

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
You should just use a better CPU the one thats better. What ever you like should be the one you buy. Dont get people to tell you what you want. iF you think AMD sounds cooler than go with AMD, personally I think intel has a better name so I usually go with them. With computer parts its better to go with your gut feeling rather then sound logic.

jcpjunior

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

1440p 120hz.
The price of the 1600 is like 20 dollars cheaper

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Pushing 120 FPS does require a fair bit of CPU horsepower, and Intel CPUs are still a little better for high FPS gaming last I checked. But I think it unlikely that the performance difference is enough to warrant the large price difference.

Also, it might be worth waiting to see how the upcoming security patches for AMD/Intel shake out in terms of performance hits. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/meltdown-spectre-exploits-intel-amd-arm-nvidia,36219.html

Solution