Question Ryzen 7 1800x 100% CPU Usage + Low FPS in GTA V/Online?

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
So something similar to this has likely been posted multiple times however I have yet to find a fix that works and the only things Google brings up are people using ancient quad cores and such.

So for some reason as soon as GTA 5 opens my CPU gets pegged at 100% CPU usage according to Task Manager, MSI Afterburner, and CPU-Z. On top of this performance is abysmal hovering around 60-70 FPS while driving around in the city in Single Player (FPS massively increases outside of the city). I found a post that said to disable SMT and it seems to have brought up SP performance a bit with the dips becoming less frequent but Online FPS due to the snow has massively dropped to around 53 FPS while driving around at certain points. No game stuttering whatsoever.

I am currently running 3600MHz CL16 @ 3000MHz CL16 in Dual Channel (checked with CPU-Z as well as followed mobo instructions), 3.9GHz OC (Stable), 73C under Prime95 Small FFT load while warmer than usual in my room(Checked with Core Temp and HWMonitor), and RX 580 8GB at max of 80C (in BFV) w/ GPU usage hovering around 60-90% and I have tried reinstalling GTA V, installing to my SSD, reinstalling drivers, disabling SMT, setting game to high, lowering all graphical/advanced options to the absolute lowest including resolution and DX10 (5-10 FPS difference at best, no FPS/Usage difference from DX10 or resolution change), and have checked that every other game I play runs perfectly fine. The only thing I haven't done since upgrading from an Intel CPU is figuring out how to edit the Registry and remove these 'ghost' files I heard someone talk about or reinstalling Windows 10 (waiting for a different CPU as this is currently on loan from a friend for the time being).

My specs are:
Ryzen 7 1800x
EVGA CLC 240
2x8GB 3600MHz CL16 (@3000MHz Cl16)
RX 580 8GB Red Devil
1920x1080 144Hz

Any ideas? My friend also says his FPS is quite low in the city with a 3700x and it was pretty low with this CPU as well with an RTX 2080.
Should an 1800x see dips as low as 53 FPS in GTA V while being pegged at 100% usage no matter what?

If having 100% CPU usage issues with an 8c/16T processor, I'd say one is likely suffering from a case of an older OS install from an earlier dissimilar Intel chipset, botched/lack of current chipset/CPU and/or GPU drivers, ...or all of the preceding...

Fresh format/reinstall, start over....OS, chipset drivers, GPU drivers, OS patches, games, game patches...

Reactions: boju

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
If having 100% CPU usage issues with an 8c/16T processor, I'd say one is likely suffering from a case of an older OS install from an earlier dissimilar Intel chipset, botched/lack of current chipset/CPU and/or GPU drivers, ...or all of the preceding...

Fresh format/reinstall, start over....OS, chipset drivers, GPU drivers, OS patches, games, game patches...
I did download the latest chipset drivers and stuff. Also bit odd to say it that way since I upgraded from an 8C/16T CPU to a 8C/16T CPU lol. The weird part though is how every other game I play runs flawlessly for some reason with GTA 5 being the only exception...

TRENDING THREADS