Question Ryzen 7 1800x running on very low speed under load (3,6ghz -> 0,64ghz)

Dec 12, 2021
Issue: Ryzen 7 1800x speed jumping between 0,64ghz and 3600 ghz.

HW:
PSU:
seasonic ssr-850fx
MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk (MS-7A34) Bios version 7A34v1Q2(Beta version)
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 1080 GTX
CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev. 2.
RAM: corsair cmk16gx4m2a2400c14r (2x 8gb 2400 mhz DDR4)

Software:
Win10 20H2, also tested with linux mint live boot with same issue.
MB: Latest system/chipset drivers in use (7A34v1Q2(Beta version) )
CPU: Latest amd ryzen master software installed.
GPU: Latest Geforce Experience installed (v 3.24.0.123). Driver version 497.09

CPU speed will get lower as load gets higher (playing DayZ and watching discord stream at the same time causes CPU speed getting as low as 0,64ghz or so). When I alt+tab from the dayz game for example, CPU speed will raise back to +2ghz and will drop back down to less than 1ghz sooner or later, depending whats happening in game and how much load CPU gets.

Windows performance mode set as High performance. Still working way below minimum level.
Probably not OS related - Same issue with Windows and live linux (tried with linux mint and CPU speed was approx 1,2ghz (with minimum value 2,2ghz, so way below minimum setting). Also reinstalled windows.
Same issue were on earlier version too (and bios updating didnt help).
Bios default settings didn't resolve the issue. Reseting CMOS didn't resolve the issue.
CPU temperatures around 75C, that's AFAIK in a normal range? CPU speed can be +3ghz with same 75c temp, so not temperature related.
Not memory related for sure (tested with other set of RAMs).
This setup used to work few years ago, since I used to play beat saber with oculus rift VR glasses without issues.
PC been in very light use for year or so.. Mostly netflix only, that can be ran easily even with 600mhz CPU.. I found out this issue since PC suddendly weren't able to run oculus rift games and dayz.. Not sure how long this issue has been active.

If I activate "Game boost" on BIOS (that should give CPU a safe and begginer friendly amount of OC), it'll be unable to boot even to bios. CMOS must be cleared to be able to boot again any further.

Any suggestions what might be causing this?

Ill test with spare PSU in a few days. Ill replace CPU cooling thermal grease just in case too.. IMO it's either CPU, MB or PSU hw issue..? Any other ideas?

0,82ghz
2,87ghz
BIOS

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021
It is of note that many of the BIOS revisions could have notes indicating that they are not meant for CPU beyond a certain build or other important conditions.

What is your case and cooling solution?

CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev. 2.

TBH not sure about which case this is. But CPU temps staying at 75c. No changes in temperature during CPU speed changes..