[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700 core clocks won't move beyond base clock speeds ?

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Hey, I have a Ryzen 7 2700 processor and I have, what I think, is an issue. I feel like I should be getting more frames in my games and I might have finally found a reason to it.
So the Base Clock: 3.2GHz and the Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.1GHz
The clocks of all my cores in idle state is at around 3475 MHz and I found that out by using Ryzen Master and OCCT.
I tried using OCCT to stress test my CPU for 3 minutes and the clock speeds went down to 3.4GHz, the temperature went up from 40C (idle) to 65C, the power consumption went up from 25W to 60W and the fan sped up from 2000rpm to 2500rpm and that's all I could notice.
I tried changing the power plan from Balanced to High to AMD Balanced but nothing seemed to make it go higher. In game clocks are same as in idle, stress test clocks are same as in idle. Something ain't right here, maybe :)
If my CPU has a Boost Clock I wanna use it for more performance in game.
Any helps?))

RTX 2060
HyperX 2x8 2666
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
Ryzen 7 2700
Kingston 480GB SSD

Solution
Thank you for your reply.
I have the Wraith Spire cooler I think.

I understand what your are saying but my temps are not going crazy. I mean the frequency doesn't change according to the temps. When it's idle (40C) the frequency was the same when it was undergoing a stress test (65C) so I don't know... Oh but you did say that it locks the frequency so it won't get hot in the first place... hmmm

If we check official specs for CPU chip it says Default TDP 65W, so during workloads (rendering,stress test, gaming, etc) it has to stay withing that limit since it's rated for it. It drops down its boost clock and that way complies with it. Unless you manually set bios (or ryzen master) values which override (overclock) chips default...
Nov 26, 2020
Hi,

Lets begin with basic - cooling is aftermarket tower? or stock one?
If stock it may be limited by temps + since its 2700 it tdp locks it lower freq to maintain it.
But there is a simple solution since you have good motherboard for some easy overclock.
Check out this video guide on your bios, be safe and know your limits
Motherboard bios guide

Reactions: Gdolike

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Hi,

Lets begin with basic - cooling is aftermarket tower? or stock one?
If stock it may be limited by temps + since its 2700 it tdp locks it lower freq to maintain it.
But there is a simple solution since you have good motherboard for some easy overclock.
Check out this video guide on your bios, be safe and know your limits
Motherboard bios guide
I understand what your are saying but my temps are not going crazy. I mean the frequency doesn't change according to the temps. When it's idle (40C) the frequency was the same when it was undergoing a stress test (65C) so I don't know... Oh but you did say that it locks the frequency so it won't get hot in the first place... hmmm

Nov 26, 2020

If we check official specs for CPU chip it says Default TDP 65W, so during workloads (rendering,stress test, gaming, etc) it has to stay withing that limit since it's rated for it. It drops down its boost clock and that way complies with it. Unless you manually set bios (or ryzen master) values which override (overclock) chips default values. Since you have stock cooler I wouldn't suggest overclocking since it will get noisier, but I have done some tests on my 2700x while it had stock cooler, and it's doable you can overclock even on stock cooler :) + you have so many places where are step by step guides how to do it.

here some material to read about it
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3290-exponential-ryzen-voltage-frequency-curve

Reactions: Gdolike
Solution

Gdolike

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
If we check official specs for CPU chip it says Default TDP 65W, so during workloads (rendering,stress test, gaming, etc) it has to stay withing that limit since it's rated for it. It drops down its boost clock and that way complies with it. Unless you manually set bios (or ryzen master) values which override (overclock) chips default values. Since you have stock cooler I wouldn't suggest overclocking since it will get noisier, but I have done some tests on my 2700x while it had stock cooler, and it's doable you can overclock even on stock cooler :) + you have so many places where are step by step guides how to do it.

here some material to read about it
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3290-exponential-ryzen-voltage-frequency-curve
I understand everything, thank you very much. I now know the reason why it won't boost any further.
I don't know if it's true but I heard that overclocking voids you warranty right? But I guess if I want dat extra power I guess I gotta do it, but carefully.
Anyways thanks, I'll be thinking onward with my cpu "issue".