Question Ryzen 7 2700 fluctuating temperature

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I have got the following problem regarding my R7 2700 CPU.
When the CPU is at idle then the CPU fan speed goes up and down every few seconds. I opened the HWinfo64 and I took a few screen shots. Please have a look at them and tell me if the temperature fluctuations are normal or not. I also added on the screenshots the load of the CPU.
Idle: https://ibb.co/kxk6ZrF
While browsing internet: https://ibb.co/DQYsLHG

It's difficult to tell by the pics how much it's fluctuating but it's normal for CPUs to spike a little - even when sitting at desktop. What is your CPU min/max when at desktop and when under load? You might just need to adjust your fan curve a bit.

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
The minimum temperature (idle) is about 30 C. The maximum, under OCCT is about 50 C.
I changed the power plan to Ryzen Balanced and now the fluctuations seems to dissapear.
https://ibb.co/SBZD7V4

LE: I am using custom cooling for the CPU(Fortis 3).
The rest of the system is:
X570 UD motherboard, 16GB ram, GTX1050Ti, 250GB ssd, 500GB hdd.

Last edited:

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
But I was told to use the Windows balanced power plan, not the Ryzen balanced power plan, because I saw that when using Ryzen balanced power plan, then the speed (MHz) of the CPU does not go as low as it needs to be, it always stay at about ~3GHz. Is there any way to make the Windows balanced power plan to stop the fluctuations ?

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
One more question:
If I run OCCT with AVX2 on all cores, then the maximum temp of the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) is about 50C, but when running OCCT with AVX2 on just 1 single core then the maximum temp of the CPU is about 61.6C. Is this normal ?

As long as your temps are okay - min/max at idle and while gaming or stressing the system, and your system is stable, you don't need to worry about your idle MHz speed.

For your OCCT question, are the cores running at the same speed in both examples or is the single core boosting higher?

I have got the following problem regarding my R7 2700 CPU.
When the CPU is at idle then the CPU fan speed goes up and down every few seconds. I opened the HWinfo64 and I took a few screen shots. Please have a look at them and tell me if the temperature fluctuations are normal or not. I also added on the screenshots the load of the CPU.
Idle: https://ibb.co/kxk6ZrF
While browsing internet: https://ibb.co/DQYsLHG
That's very typical of Ryzen processors that boost very high at low utilization, then quickly return to low unboosted states. The quick boost finishes off light bursty processes quickly. It also results in a temperature spike that looks bad but (alone) adds very little thermally to the processor. Using a utility like RyzenMaster you can see temperature reported in a moving average which more accurately reflects the thermal state of the cores. HWInfo64 also has a Tdie (average) reading now.

If your fans are pulsing up and down with those spikes you should set a flat curve up to a moderately high temp to avoid that. I'm less sure of Ryzen 2000, but flat up to about 60-65C then start ramping from there works on ryzen 3000. The fan speed during flat period shouldn't be high enough to be annoying, I like to find a reassuring soft hum for mine.

Last edited:

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Now I have got another problem :( . Sometimes when I start or restart the computer I am hearing a long beep before the normal post beep. After this, the computer starts normally...
What does this mean ? I read somewhere that my motherboard could be faulty...

Last edited:
Now I have got another problem :( . Sometimes when I start or restart the computer I am hearing a long beep before the normal post beep. After this, the computer starts normally...
What does this mean ? I read somewhere that my motherboard could be faulty...
If your motherboard has a speaker (not every one has one installed) it could be announcing something that failed POST. One long beep could be something to do with memory. That it manages to boot up in the end suggests it's not too serious, maybe it just needs to be correctly configured.

have you set an xmp overclock for it? a slight increase in DRAM voltage might help with it.

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I didn't set xmp overclock... XMP is disabled.

LE: With the previous motherboard and cpu, I it did't make that beep. And I was using same memory sticks and same gpu and same hdd and ssd. Also the psu was the same with the previous configuration.

LE2: I run memory diagnostic tool from Windows and it said that my memory is ok (no memory errors were detected).

Last edited:

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I have found the problem: when the computer restarts, there is a moment when the CPU fan stops rotating. In exactly that moment the bios make the beep. If I turn off the fan stop warning from bios, then the long beep disappears when I restart the computer.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I will return the motherboard, because the pch fan has started to make a crackling annoying noise.
I will buy the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite because it is the best I can buy in my budget in this moment.
I know that the board will suport the R7 2700, but I am wondering if the board will support the R7 3700X, if I will upgrade in the future ?

Last edited: