[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700 is locked at 3.4GHz

starstarstar

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
Hi, just built my first ryzen build and noticed that it advertises a 4.1GHz speed, and when i open task manager or AIDA 64 it tells me that the base speed is 3.4GHz and no matter what i do, like run a game, or the stress test, it is locked at 3.4 despite it being the base speed. I have the Asus ROG b450 f Gaming motherboard.

Hi starstarster :)

Ryzen 7 2700 has a base clock of 3.2GHz and a boost clock of up to 4.1GHz.
Cores are unlocked so some samples (Silicon Lottery) will Overclock well beyond base clock with proper water cooling solution. Don't forget there is noticeable difference from the 2700X variant. At default settings in Bios you should notice a boost in frequency when running AIDA64 stress test. You can also use HWInfo64 to check your boost clock when cores are 100% under load.

Last edited:
Aida64 is quite stressful so it seems to me you have a system instability. Instability can be insufficient power delivery or memory settings
Check in CPUz your Core voltage and adjust to 1.375V in Bios to try and obtain stability.
Have you done any Bios Overclocking before?
List your PSU wattage and certification?

starstarstar

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
Aida64 is quite stressful so it seems to me you have a system instability. Instability can be insufficient power delivery or memory settings
Check in CPUz your Core voltage and adjust to 1.375V in Bios to try and obtain stability.
Have you done any Bios Overclocking before?
List your PSU wattage and certification?
I’ve never done bios overclocking
I have a 80+ bronze 450 W power supply, but it only uses 300W
Will have to see what voltage Will do tomorrow.

I’ve never done bios overclocking
I have a 80+ bronze 450 W power supply, but it only uses 300W
Will have to see what voltage Will do tomorrow.

Although I don't know the rest of your system specs, A 450W bronze rated PSU seems inadequate when subject to AIDA64 stress test. Ryzen 7 2700 has a lower TDP draw than 2700X however it is the same CPU and never the less requires an efficient voltage regulation/delivery when under load so your PSU may be letting you down. Rail voltages can be analyzed accurately with HWInfo64. If the PSU is suspect then swap it out with a known working gold certified unit at 650-750W.
Your PSU is the lifeblood of your system and not to be underestimated. Read my PSU fact sheet.

starstarstar

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
Although I don't know the rest of your system specs, A 450W bronze rated PSU seems inadequate when subject to AIDA64 stress test. Ryzen 7 2700 has a lower TDP draw than 2700X however it is the same CPU and never the less requires an efficient voltage regulation/delivery when under load so your PSU may be letting you down. Rail voltages can be analyzed accurately with HWInfo64. If the PSU is suspect then swap it out with a known working gold certified unit at 650-750W.
Your PSU is the lifeblood of your system and not to be underestimated. Read my PSU fact sheet.
Here is a couple screenshots, if it is the PSU what are some good reccomendations? I have a budget of around $60.

I have not yet done a clean install. Plan to tonight or this weekend.

UPDATE: my external hdd keeps powering down and up every few minutes. No clue why.

Last edited:
A clean install of the OS is a good idea and can fix a lot of issues however if you do and it does not provide you a fix then if you can increase your budget slightly, the Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-650FM 650W 80 + Gold is an excellent PSU for your setup. It is Semi modular and would provide good efficiency for Overclocking and for future expansion. Available at Newegg.
You can check your disk using CHKDSK from the command prompt. Do this prior to clean installation of the OS.

BTW: I can not see any issues with power delivery from your IMGUR shots. HWInfo64 does however indicate you do have a low core voltage at 1.119V max. This can be adjusted in Bios. As said before I would increase this to 1.3750V to try.

Last edited:

starstarstar

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
A clean install of the OS is a good idea and can fix a lot of issues however if you do and it does not provide you a fix then if you can increase your budget slightly, the Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-650FM 650W 80 + Gold is an excellent PSU for your setup. It is Semi modular and would provide good efficiency for Overclocking and for future expansion. Available at Newegg.
You can check your disk using CHKDSK from the command prompt. Do this prior to clean installation of the OS.

BTW: I can not see any issues with power delivery from your IMGUR shots. HWInfo64 does however indicate you do have a low core voltage at 1.119V max. This can be adjusted in Bios. As said before I would increase this to 1.3750V to try.
I raised the voltage to 1.375, but afterwards, i noticed that my cpu was now limited to 3.2GHz. I have a couple screenshots of ryzen master, and i also noticed that no matter what i was doing, the EDC in Ryzen Master was always at 100%. I plan to do a clean install soon.

Although I don't have your particular Bios. You set Core voltage to manual and there should be the ability to Override and manually set CPU Core Voltage.
If not then you may still be on a Beta Bios and an update to latest version should fix that. As ROG b450 f Gaming MB was not meant for Overclocking, some voltage control was not included in early Bios.

I don't advocate changing settings using Ryzen master (just for monitoring) or any third party app (as it can corrupt Bios) Best is to change settings only in Bios.

Windows has a Power Plan that will effect EDC. You can have energy saver, performance or balanced. so try changing these variables and see how you go. Your power plan can be opened in Control Panel>power options.

FYI: EDC Limit - (Electrical Design Current) is maximum peak current the VRMs on the MB can supply to CPU, (based on VRM components)
Bios also has the ability to disable Core performance boost and set your CPU to a fixed frequency.

Last edited:
Reactions: starstarstar

MrJupiter

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
turn off cool-n-quiet in your motherboard bios. My ryzen 5 2600 had same problem it was locked at 2.8ghz when i turned off cool-n-quiet it went up to 3.4ghz

starstarstar

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
NeverMind! i was fiddling around in BIOS for a while and happened to set my LLC to Regular instead of auto and now i have 1.35V on all cores. HOWEVER, i still am at 3.4GHz. This just gets more and more confusing.

Latest posts