Ryzen 7 2700 not boosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I am using ryzen 7 2700 (non x) which has a base clock of 3.2 ghz
Whenever i play games the cpu wont get past 3.3 ghz on all cores.
I even tried to benchmark but still dosent go beyong 3.2 and 3.3 ghz.
Also i have checked msi afterburner while benchmarking that it dosent go beyond 3.3 ghz , not even a single core.
I am using Aorus b450 elite motherboard .

Solution

That's exactly how it's meant to boost. It doesn't sustain those high clocks for long periods. It's 'only' when it's needed. The algorithms for the CPU determine the speed, voltage and temps, and set the clockspeed accordingly. It's done on the fly. It's not something that generally can be controlled. That's the point of OC'ing though. You can set an all core OC to whatever speed is stable...
I don't necessarily agree with Supahos. It's meant to boost a whole lot more than that. It should boost to 4.1ghz on a single core, and prob about 3.6 on four cores. Admittedly it does have a low base clock, and the new XFR2/PB2 algorithms mean it dynamically adjusts, so it's hard to say exactly what speed a given number of cores may hit, because it's dependent on a couple of factors. Only that on a single core, with the 'stock cooler' you should be able to hit 4.1.

Have you set the windows power profile to 'high performance'?

Run an instance of HWMon/Info, and run a game. Alt-tab out of the game, and take a screenshot of HWMon, showing CPU usage/temps/voltage. Then post a screenie here.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Now some of the cores boost to 3.9 ghz for a second and sometimes 1 core on 4 ghz for a second or two but nothing is constant..
Intel cpu's can hold their clock speed for a much longer time..The max clock i got was 3.3 Ghz on all threads.
But i expected something like 3.7 or 3.8 ghz on all cores , tho i can get that by manual overclocking.

That's exactly how it's meant to boost. It doesn't sustain those high clocks for long periods. It's 'only' when it's needed. The algorithms for the CPU determine the speed, voltage and temps, and set the clockspeed accordingly. It's done on the fly. It's not something that generally can be controlled. That's the point of OC'ing though. You can set an all core OC to whatever speed is stable (temps under 80c, as low voltage as possible, and as fast a speed as you can get)

XFR/PB is actually really efficient, the way it works. You're right Intel chips can maintain boost frequencies on a more sustained basis, but actually work very similarly.

If you had a beefier cooler, you could keep the temps down. Then you might find that XFR/PB pushes the CPU to 4.1 on some cores.

I've my 1600x OC'ed to 3.9, and even though it's OC'ed, it still boosts on all cores to 4ghz. I've a decent cooler though.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS