[SOLVED] ryzen 7 2700 quick questions

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
its said to have base speed of 3.2ghz and max boost of 4.1ghz. What exactly is max boost? does it automatically boost to 4.1ghz when you're gaming or a simple switch on the motherboard to enable it?

Solution
It's an auto-function (that can be disabled in the BIOS).

A 2700 will boost automatically, provided you're within defined thermal/power/temperature parameters.

You may not see 4.1GHz on all cores, depending on the parameters and the workloads being performed. In fact, you almost certainly won't.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's an auto-function (that can be disabled in the BIOS).

A 2700 will boost automatically, provided you're within defined thermal/power/temperature parameters.

You may not see 4.1GHz on all cores, depending on the parameters and the workloads being performed. In fact, you almost certainly won't.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well, yes & no.

Given the parameters baked into the auto-boost functionality (XFR, PBO) are typically the same ones you'd be working with for manual overclocking, you're not likely to gain much.

As an example, my 2700X at stock can do 4.1GHz all-cores, easily. A few cores will do 4.3GHz as needed (the max turbo, out of the box).
To actually sustain 4.3GHz across the board, stable, the voltage required is beyond what I would consider 'safe' for 24/7 use.

In my situation, I'd need excessive voltage for +200MHz. For most workloads, the performance gain is pretty minimal.
For bragging rights & just because you can... Manually tuning is the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS