Question Ryzen 7 2700 with Asus ROG strix x370-f gaming

Jan 15, 2019
I see a cpu motherboard combo posted on newegg this morning which is the ryzen 7 2700 with the asus rog strix x370-f gaming. I was looking to upgrade my current build and this is the perfect opportunity. The only thing i'm concerned about is if the cpu and mobo would work with eachother out of the box. My current pc has an fx-8350 so i dont have access to a cpu that i could use to update the mobo bios. So i guess i have two questions.
1) Can i update the bios without a cpu in the socket by chance?
And
2) Would they simply work together out of the box without a bois update if Asus updated them before shipping the mobo?

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
you can't boot the system without a cpu and there is a chance asus has already i installed the latest bios but just do a quick installation and you'll be fine even if you don't update the bios.

Jan 15, 2019
Let me clarify. If the mobo bios, when sent by newegg/Asus is not updated to the version that supports the ryzen 7 2700, would i still be able to update the bios with the the ryzen 7 2700 installed in the system, despite it not being supported?

Let me clarify. If the mobo bios, when sent by newegg/Asus is not updated to the version that supports the ryzen 7 2700, would i still be able to update the bios with the the ryzen 7 2700 installed in the system, despite it not being supported?
The most common response (from the motherboard) is a black screen...nothing. That's based on what people have been saying, from multiple experiences.

BUT...if you want to go through with it and you find Newegg DID screw you. You do have a way to fix it...AMD has a loaner processor program.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

That page explains it.