Question Ryzen 7 2700

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
my pc is doing weird things, when i run game for few minutes, then it shuts down, i tested if it is gpu or cpu, and it is possibly the cpu, because unigine heaven runs perfectly, but the Cinebench r20 shuts down the pc right after the start, can it be problem with the cpu or psu or MB? Also the temps are right, i am using riva tuner/msi afterburner. Please help me

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.

As with any random shutdowns, once firmware/software is eliminated, it tends to go in this order - (but your spec and any configs you have is useful):
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU.

That and you'll want to eliminate excess temperatures being the cause.

Last edited:

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.

As with any random shutdowns, once firmware/software is eliminated, it tends to go in this order - (but your spec and any configs you have is useful):
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU.

That and you'll want to eliminate excess temperatures being the cause.
CPU: R7 2700
RAM 16 GB 2133 DDR4
RX 580 8GB OC
PSU FSP HYPER 600 i believe 80plus
MB MSI B450M PRO-VDH or like so.
And one detail, i run the CBr20 on 4ghz with shutdowns but with stock speed the whole test completed with no problems

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I suspect that you might be having an issue with your VRM keeping voltage stable.
I don't know that B chipsets have it, but if so increase your load line calibration up (towards/to) 1 and see if it will get stable.

In my own case I have a 2700x on an X370 Taichi. I cannot enable PBO and XMP at the same time regardless of what I have tried and remain stable in the windows enviro. Games like a champ. If I turn off PBO and manually set the timings just like XMP it runs full stable all week long. I am seeing less than 50mhz difference on or off and a mild temp difference for the reduced voltage.
Far from an OC expert, but you just might not have gotten the silicone lottery on your chip.

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I suspect that you might be having an issue with your VRM keeping voltage stable.
I don't know that B chipsets have it, but if so increase your load line calibration up (towards/to) 1 and see if it will get stable.

In my own case I have a 2700x on an X370 Taichi. I cannot enable PBO and XMP at the same time regardless of what I have tried and remain stable in the windows enviro. Games like a champ. If I turn off PBO and manually set the timings just like XMP it runs full stable all week long. I am seeing less than 50mhz difference on or off and a mild temp difference for the reduced voltage.
Far from an OC expert, but you just might not have gotten the silicone lottery on your chip.
[/QUOTE

i will try

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

any higher than 3.7GHz on 1.2V does the same thing

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I wouldn't manually overclock that CPU, especially because you appear to have limited experience. If you need an overclock then set the automatic overclock in the motherboard. Don't set any manual clocks or voltages, that's almost certainly your issue. This isn't like an old processor, they clock themselves up to their maximum ability based on a variety of factors.

And I would highly recommend you get some good faster dual-channel ram, like 2933, which I believe is the standard for the 2700. You will actually get a significant performance increase from that.

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I wouldn't manually overclock that CPU, especially because you appear to have limited experience. If you need an overclock then set the automatic overclock in the motherboard. Don't set any manual clocks or voltages, that's almost certainly your issue. This isn't like an old processor, they clock themselves up to their maximum ability based on a variety of factors.

And I would highly recommend you get some good faster dual-channel ram, like 2933, which I believe is the standard for the 2700. You will actually get a significant performance increase from that.
ok, that will do it, i think boost clock is max at 4.2GHz, and RAMs i can find too, thanks for help

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

is it safe to run 3.7GHz 1.2V on B450M?

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
you havent seen the voltage on auto, you can do stable 4GHz on under 1.3V, but my MB does 1.408V

My normal auto voltage ranges from .8V to 1.5V on a 2700x. During sustained loads, it spins up all cores to 4-4.2 ghz and the voltage settles around 1.3V.

This is all intended by AMD, by design, and safe for these chips. By setting it manually at 1.2V you're wasting electricity during idle and limiting the chip's top performance.

This is the fact of the Ryzen chips, take it or leave it.

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
My normal auto voltage ranges from .8V to 1.5V on a 2700x. During sustained loads, it spins up all cores to 4-4.2 ghz and the voltage settles around 1.3V.

This is all intended by AMD, by design, and safe for these chips. By setting it manually at 1.2V you're wasting electricity during idle and limiting the chip's top performance.

This is the fact of the Ryzen chips, take it or leave it.
ok, thanks, didnt know that, will set the voltage to auto