[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x / 2700 vs. Ryzen 3 3200G???

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
The reason I'm asking the question is because I have been unable to find a clear answer on GPU "Graphics Processors" vs just ordinary GPU's. There was a time when I recall the answer, "If the motherboard has the jack, the CPU will drive them..." But I'm totally uncertain nowadays.

I'm interested in putting a pc together that will last 10-15 years - with some work on my part. I've settled on a gaming motherboard -ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard. Plenty of connections and the addition of a video card and sound card will be in the future, but not now part of my consideration. I want to maximize potential connections without making the CPU overly culpible for either's performance.

So where I am right now is do I get a CPU - I'm going to buy an AMD - with integrated graphics or go with a basic CPU.

So here's the question: If I get a Ryzen 7 with no graphics will it drive the on-board motherboard graphics?

The other options are a Ryzen 3 3200G and a Ryzen 5 3400G. I think I'd prefer the ryzen 7, but if it doesn't drive the motherboard's on-board connections, I'm going to have to go with a slightly older processor.

I don't think I can go wrong either way, unless the non-"graphics" processors won't allow the jacks on the motherboard to work.

So there's the question: will a non-graphics AMC CPU drive the motherboard's video jacks? Once and for all because the questions on this have so muddied the water that I wasn't able to find an answer.

Thanks ahead of responses.

Solution
Ok, thanks.

I was hoping for the newest CPU, but the performance of the older one with graphics won't be too terrible for my kid.

It's been a decade, almost 15 years, since I put the last PC together and it still works great, but Windows 10 won't update with the newer version and I'm out of the loop on conflicts with what I have since windows 7 when I last did this.

Anyway, the value is still so much greater to do it yourself. I thank you for the quick responses. I figured the CPU had to have the denotation of being "graphics" able.

I'm pretty much sold on the AMD's, but if there's another alternative that I'm missing re the Ryzen line, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks again. DrJ.
If the older CPU you're talking about is...

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Ok, thanks.

I was hoping for the newest CPU, but the performance of the older one with graphics won't be too terrible for my kid.

It's been a decade, almost 15 years, since I put the last PC together and it still works great, but Windows 10 won't update with the newer version and I'm out of the loop on conflicts with what I have since windows 7 when I last did this.

Anyway, the value is still so much greater to do it yourself. I thank you for the quick responses. I figured the CPU had to have the denotation of being "graphics" able.

I'm pretty much sold on the AMD's, but if there's another alternative that I'm missing re the Ryzen line, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks again. DrJ.

Ok, thanks.

Thanks again. DrJ.
If the older CPU you're talking about is a 2700 or 2700X you'll not be sorry as it's very capable, but you'll need a discreet GPU to go with it so don't forget that. A 3400G is actually the newer processor but still really quite good for general computing and most gaming without needing a discrete GPU to go with it.

But as said before, you'll not likely find it as good even in 5 years when the march of technology pretty much always dictates an upgrade. But I'm sure it will muddle through for 10-15 years, pretty much as did your current system, so long as you can live with the necessary compromises it will bring. Whatever they are.

Solution