Question Ryzen 7 2700X Build Advice?

ShafeDogg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
So, I'm thinking about building another gaming computer, and this time I was thinking about using a Ryzen 7 2700X with a budget of about $1,000. But please feel free to post any build and/or parts you wish if you think it would be more bang for the buck. I'm currently looking at about these specs:

Case: Unsure (Corsair and NZXT look great, but I was really impressed by this case because it comes with so many fans?)
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X?
GPU: GTX 1660, 1660 Ti, or RTX 2060?
RAM: 16-32GB DDR4 (What speed?)
PSU: At least 80+ Gold
Motherboard: Anything decent with plenty of fan headers?

What RAM speeds should I go for? I read that RAM with a lower CAS latency can actually perform faster than higher clocked RAM in some cases, so I'm not sure what to choose at this point. Also, what would be a good cooler for this CPU, or CPUs with a similar benchmark? As always, any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
With Ryzen 3rd gen coming out in early July I wouldn't get the 2700X. I would get the Ryzen 1600 for $120 online or $80 if your near a Microcenter. The 1600 with a good aftermarket cooler & some overclocking will give you good performance and if it's worth it then make the upgrade.

GPU depends on resolution/refresh rate. I'd get the 1660 for 1080P/60hz, 1660 ti/2060 for 1080P/144hz or 2060 for 1440P/60hz.

Ryzen performs better with faster memory so go with 3200mhz. As for how much to get if your just gaming (streaming?) then 16gb is sufficient but if your into editing videos then go 32gb.

Since the PSU is the heart of the system you want something good and the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be a great choice (would work with any of the GPU's mentioned & overclocking).

If your getting a case with quite a few fans I wouldn't try to find a motherboard with a bunch of fan headers. Instead get a fan hub.

For $1,000 I'd get something like this. The AIO would be mounted on top as exhaust, should allow a 4ghz overclock and be quieter then the stock fan.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.40 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($90.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1000.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-11 16:42 EDT-0400

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
With Ryzen 3rd gen coming out in early July I wouldn't get the 2700X. I would get the Ryzen 1600 for $120 online or $80 if your near a Microcenter. The 1600 with a good aftermarket cooler & some overclocking will give you good performance and if it's worth it then make the upgrade.

What's the point? Then when you do upgrade, you're out that $120 and then you are stuck with a CPU that you won't ever need or use again and an outdated motherboard. I would say if you're going to wait, save your money and get what you really want. There's no point in buying for the future.

WildCard999

Titan
What's the point? Then when you do upgrade, you're out that $120 and then you are stuck with a CPU that you won't ever need or use again and an outdated motherboard. I would say if you're going to wait, save your money and get what you really want. There's no point in buying for the future.
You can sell the 1600 and I wouldn't consider a motherboard that can be utilized until 2020 outdated. Plus the 1600+AIO is still $80 cheaper then the 2700X. Those savings allows for a larger SSD and better GPU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I tend to agree somewhat with Wildcard here. If you can't take a wait and see position, I would likely get something first gen as a placeholder until after release of 2nd gen, and also for widespread availability and perhaps even price drop which we shouldn't expect until probably fourth quarter, of not first of next year.
In the meantime, where it seems first gen is bottomed out on price, + gen is still likely to get cheaper.

If you have an operational system that can tide you over I would probably wait it out.

For latency yeah it depends on the memory and the program. In general though CL16 is good enough at 3200MHz.

CL14 is best but it can be super expensive.

Sure you could buy a 1st gen 1600 placeholder for Ryzen 3000. But only do that if you aren't gaming.

If you are gaming with a mid range GPU, the Ryzen 7 2700X is plenty fast for it. You'd need a RTX 2080 to get any noticable performance benefit out of a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

Go with a RTX 2060 if possible.

Reactions: davew1860
You'd need a RTX 2080 to get any noticable performance benefit out of a Ryzen 3000 CPU.
We all have no idea what we need, because like always there will be low end and high end. It's a bit of a wrong statement.
Although, personally I would wait until after the weekend, to see what they say, then wait for reviews early July, and then on the 7th July they should be released to the public.

If we are really talking about bang for your buck, this is what i'd do:
  1. Wait for 3rd Gen Ryzen to come out because there will be a shift in price to performance. The norm R5 chips will be 8 core 16 thread.
  2. Purchase a used Ryzen second gen on eBay after the release. Due to the shift in performance listed above, will cause an even better price to performance/bang for your buck in the used market.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Hey I got my R5-2600 and B450 motherboard from them and saved like $40 on the whole combo. That price for a 1700X is insane.

Yes, I love having one in town. Even with it an hour away it is totally worth the drive and gas to go.

They recently ran a deal on the i5 8400, with the $30 off the motherboard, with another deal on compatible RAM, and a sale price on case and power supply. I came out the door with everything SANS OS for just at $500 w/ 32GB of RAM. I was super stoked.

WildCard999

Titan
Yes, I love having one in town. Even with it an hour away it is totally worth the drive and gas to go.

They recently ran a deal on the i5 8400, with the $30 off the motherboard, with another deal on compatible RAM, and a sale price on case and power supply. I came out the door with everything SANS OS for just at $500 w/ 32GB of RAM. I was super stoked.
The closest one to me is a hour and half away but is still worth it. Considering my local store carries the Inwin Chopin I've considered grabbing the 2400G (also due to the game bundle) and making a decent little gaming system. Should be able to get the entire system for under $500.

ShafeDogg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
Wow, Micro Center must truly be awesome. I get at least one recommendation for it every time I ask about a new build. But I don't have any (very) close to me. I might have to go to one anyway just for their awesome deals!

Reactions: punkncat

ShafeDogg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
I'm currently thinking of using a 1700X for the CPU because the price is so good. But I think I'd like to overclock it with a really good fan cooler. I've never been a big fan of liquid cooling, unless you guys think it's absolutely necessary. I also read that it can be difficult to get RAM to run at 3200MHz with Ryzen, so I'm not sure what RAM or motherboard to use yet. So nothing is set in stone yet, because I know there are a lot of pros here that know a lot more than me. Could you guys help me with some builds and overclocking advice? I'd really appreciate it!

ShafeDogg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
If you game at 3440x1440p ultrawide or 4k, the 1700 would be perfect because speed is no longer a necessity because of the graphics card being the limiting factor at such high resolutions.

1080P 144Hz is what I had in mind honestly. I'm trying to keep the price of at least the computer itself at or below $1,000. :)

ShafeDogg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
I've decided to go with a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard, but right now I'm stuck on what RAM to get. I would ideally like to run 32GB of RAM (4 x 8GB), but I have read that Ryzen only supports up to 2 sticks (at least without impacting performance). I've looked at the QVL for the motherboard I went with (http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-ultra-gaming_pinnacle.pdf), but one of the kits listed seems to be a 64GB kit that they say only has 2-socket support, when the kit is four sticks of 16GB. Could anyone help me with choosing (ideally 32GB of) RAM that I can at least be mostly sure will work with my motherboard and the 2700X when I get it? Thank you so much for the assistance!

Last edited: