Jul 31, 2020
So basically I have a 2700x cpu and a rtx 2080 super and for some reason I am getting similar frames to my friend or in some cases he is getting better frames he has 3700x with a 1070ti. I have 16GB ram @ 3200mhz. Most of the time my cpu with stay below 50 percentage usage and I have seen the gpu stay at 50% usage for a solid amount of time any ideas? Do I need to upgrade anything?

Solution
I’m playing at 1080p on a 240hz monitor and my power settings are maxed and the panel is running at 240 and I haven’t set anything that would limit it in Nvidia control panel

How are you connected to the monitor ? If you're using an HDMI cable then you'll be frame rate limited depending on cable spec and monitor support...a 240hz monitor won't run full speed using HDMI cables...it's best to use Display Port if you're not already.

If you're already on a Display Port cable then whatever is holding your gpu usage to 50% is likely software related.

The 2700x is not holding back a 2080 super in any meaningful way...sure a 3600x will give better 1% lows and push the average fps up a few % points but it's certainly not why your GPU...
Really need the full system specs but a crucial information is...

What resolution are you and your friend playing at, what is the refresh rate of your monitors.

You have a stronger GPU and he has a better CPU, but your GPU is not being fully utilized anyway at only 50%. It should be doing 100% which indicates me you are running 1080p with an FPS cap through g-sync or v-sync.

Also the cooling of your cases/GPU's plays a big part, if his case cools better than yours he will get higher and more consistent clocks than if yours is hot and downclocking itself.

There are so many things that influence GPU performance than just hardware parts.

It sounds like your video setup might be the issue...the cpu usage is fine...the gpu should be hammering away at close to 100%.

What resolution are you gaming at ? If you're running a 2080 super at 720p with low or med graphics the card won't need to run at 100%. If you're running 1080p at low settings you may be in the same situation but I'd still expect more than 50% usage on the gpu.

Have you changed Windows Power Plan settings ? Set a power limit or other limited frame rate in the nVidia control panel ? FPS capped at 60 due to HDMI ?

Jul 31, 2020
Really need the full system specs but a crucial information is...

What resolution are you and your friend playing at, what is the refresh rate of your monitors.

You have a stronger GPU and he has a better CPU, but your GPU is not being fully utilized anyway at only 50%. It should be doing 100% which indicates me you are running 1080p with an FPS cap through g-sync or v-sync.

Also the cooling of your cases/GPU's plays a big part, if his case cools better than yours he will get higher and more consistent clocks than if yours is hot and downclocking itself.

There are so many things that influence GPU performance than just hardware parts.
We are both playing at the same settings, I have a 240hz monitor he has a 144hz my cpu is aio cooled his is stock cooler my gpu doesn’t go over 70 and my cpu stays around 55 his cpu cos around 70 and his gpu is around the 70-75 I’m not using any vsync or gsync neither is he

Jul 31, 2020
It sounds like your video setup might be the issue...the cpu usage is fine...the gpu should be hammering away at close to 100%.

What resolution are you gaming at ? If you're running a 2080 super at 720p with low or med graphics the card won't need to run at 100%. If you're running 1080p at low settings you may be in the same situation but I'd still expect more than 50% usage on the gpu.

Have you changed Windows Power Plan settings ? Set a power limit or other limited frame rate in the nVidia control panel ? FPS capped at 60 due to HDMI ?
I’m playing at 1080p on a 240hz monitor and my power settings are maxed and the panel is running at 240 and I haven’t set anything that would limit it in Nvidia control panel

How are you connected to the monitor ? If you're using an HDMI cable then you'll be frame rate limited depending on cable spec and monitor support...a 240hz monitor won't run full speed using HDMI cables...it's best to use Display Port if you're not already.

If you're already on a Display Port cable then whatever is holding your gpu usage to 50% is likely software related.

The 2700x is not holding back a 2080 super in any meaningful way...sure a 3600x will give better 1% lows and push the average fps up a few % points but it's certainly not why your GPU is running at 50%.

Solution