[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700X giving poor VR performance and I'm at my wits end.

Sep 25, 2021
Hello and thanks for taking a look at this post. I feel like I've tried nearly everything recommended to improve performance, but maybe someone can spot my mistake.
Here's a quick data dump to show my hardware and the steps I've attempted to correct my stuttering in VR with the Valve Index:

• MOBO: ASUS Strix 450-F Gaming with updated BIOS to latest version (4602)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3700MHz with updated chipset to latest version (3.09.01.140) (was OCd to 4000MHz, but BIOS update wiped it and I left it to see if the OC was the culprit)
  • GPU: 2080TI Black with updated drivers to latest (472.12)
  • RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (highest it will clock in BIOS is 2666MHz with or without DOCP enabled)

• CPU Idle: 10% at 3.5GHz
  • RAM Idle: 14% at 4.5GB
  • GPU Idle: 4% at 55C

• All drivers are up to date in Device Manager
  • Windows is completely up to date (10.0.19043 Build 19043)
  • There are no LED control programs running and I've disabled the LEDs on my MOBO via BIOS
  • There are no screen dimming programs running (like flux, etc)
  • EliteDangerous.exe, Hlvr.exe, VrServer.exe, and VrCompositor.exe all set to high priority in task manager
  • Valve Index is plugged directly into GPU Display Port socket and USB 3.1

Now for my issue in depth. I'm seeing massive CPU Frametime drops in FPSvr while playing Elite Dangerous when multiple ships are within my view. Anywhere from 13 to 22ms and it stays that way until I am out of combat. These are not misreported frames as I'm seeing heavy stuttering in-game. I am never seeing a flat line reporting a several second long frame dropping time-period, the graph is always bumping up and down at very sharp angles until I am out of combat at which point it flattens to an acceptable level of 6ms or so. If I fly around an asteroid belt with no other ships I am getting 6ms frametimes even when testing settings on high for in-game settings. However, I am currently only trying to run the game on the lowest possible in-game settings (VR Low) at 90Hz. I tried at 80Hz as well with no improvement.
Similarly, in Half Life Alyx, I am seeing the same type of stuttering. I am actively monitoring FPSvr in game and seeing the same poor CPU performance. In neither of these games am I seeing any type of GPU frametime drops. Once in a blue moon I'll see a fully dropped frame (shown purple in FPSvr), but it's just a blip and I never notice while playing. I am attempting Half Life Alyx at 80Hz with similar results. No matter what settings I change in Half Life Alyx, the performance is pretty much always the same with the CPU giving me issues. At the end of my sessions in both games, my overall average FPS is clocking in at roughly 5 to 8fps lower than the target rate of 80Hz.
Is it possible that the Ryzen 7 2700x just isn't cut out for the job? I've seen tons of other posts with people using a Ryzen 7 2700x or below with a 2000 series GPU saying they are easily getting 90Hz at high. Most seem to be getting 120Hz at high with a few in-game setting tweaks. I just don't see how my fairly beefy PC can't handle low settings at 80Hz for these games. In the below reports, the average and max temperatures are shown which show that thermal throttling is not an issue. Any help is much appreciated!

Images showing more of my settings below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/eGpeSp6

Solution
How do same games play in 2D? Maybe try disable smt/hyperthreading.

Turns out it was my main monitor (Acer X34 3440x1440p) causing issues. I don't know if it was g-sync throwing things off, pure processing power for the game mirroring, bandwidth for the card, mobo bandwidth, or what... but unplugging my main monitor and one of my side monitors so that only a single side monitor and the Valve Index headset were plugged into my GPU at once has practically totally remedied all CPU spiking and stuttering in game. I have not yet played with upping the headset from 80Hz, but I'm very happy with the difference that I'm seeing in my baseline testing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried running 2x 8gb at 3000 to see if increased ram speed improves performance? 32gb is nice to have but not if there's a tradeoff since Ryzen's memory controller performance relies on ram speed. See what happens.

Sep 25, 2021
Have you tried running 2x 8gb at 3000 to see if increased ram speed improves performance? 32gb is nice to have but not if there's a tradeoff since Ryzen's memory controller performance relies on ram speed. See what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried and even in a dual channel (A1/B1 config) I can't get my PC to post with anything above 2666MHz using either DCOP or a manual OC. This leads me to believe my RAM is not completely compatible with my CPU. Is this a clear cut case of RAM being the issue, or could the MOBO be a culprit here as well?

Sep 25, 2021
Use a2 b2 slots, these are the primary slots. It's a common issue with xmp not engaging using secondary slots.

That did the trick. DCOP took the RAM and took it right to 3000MHz with no problems. Unfortuntely this has not fixed any of the CPU frametime issues I've been seeing in VR. It seems something is throttling the CPU and I just can't figure it out. Unless this is just the best performance I can expect with a 2700X.

Sep 25, 2021

Half Life Alyx is a VR exclusive so I can't test that, but Elite Dangerous plays on Ultra @ 3440x1440 @ 100fps so there are absolutely no issues in 2D. I saw the options in the BIOS for SMT/HT, but didn't touch any of them. I'll look more into what they do and give it a shot.

Sep 25, 2021

Turns out it was my main monitor (Acer X34 3440x1440p) causing issues. I don't know if it was g-sync throwing things off, pure processing power for the game mirroring, bandwidth for the card, mobo bandwidth, or what... but unplugging my main monitor and one of my side monitors so that only a single side monitor and the Valve Index headset were plugged into my GPU at once has practically totally remedied all CPU spiking and stuttering in game. I have not yet played with upping the headset from 80Hz, but I'm very happy with the difference that I'm seeing in my baseline testing.

Solution