Question Ryzen 7 2700x idle temperatures

BakumatsuX

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Hello everyone. I just built a pc with a amd cpu for the first time in many years. I used the cooler that came with the ryzen 2700x (wraith prism) and I have some questions about the temperatures while idling in windows, since I came from pentium cpus. While in idle, it oscilates between 33 ºC and 47 ºC, one time reaching 56 ºC. No overclock is enabled and my room temperature is about 22 ºC. So my question is: is this normal temps for this cpu with this cooler? Should I be worried? Thanks for your help.

In real Idle, with an aircooler, you can expect about 10ºC above the ambient temperature (or something more).

What program do you use to control the temperature? Compare with CoreTemp.

Use TaskManager to make sure that it is indeed in Idle. There may be programs in the background that raise the temperature. The temperature of the cpu reacts immediately if the load increases. Point increase to 55ºC may be due to load of a program.

The temperature in Idle is unimportant. The crucial thing is the temperature at full load.

What are your temps under load? My 2700X is being cooled with a push/pull config using Noctua NH-U9S in a small NCASE M1. Idle temps according to Ryzen Master and HWINFO64 around usually mid 30c range, but again can vary greatly for a second just from opening a window. This is normal behavior. Gaming temps around 65ish to 70C in BV5, but this depends on room temp, ect. The included cooler you are using has good reviews and should have no problem keeping temps in check. It's probably one of the best stock coolers ever included with a boxed processor.

BakumatsuX

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I checked the temperature with coretemp, hwmonitor and the ryzen software and they all show the same values. But what you say checks out. Everytime I opened a window or a program, it rises a bit (to a max of 57 ºC), while doing nothing oscilates between 34-47 ºC. I did some tests with cinebench and I got a max of 75 ºC, so I think everything is normal.

Yep, that's right in the "normal" range with what I'm seeing as well. I'm very happy with the 2700X and modern AMD AM4 platform. Owning both Intel and AMD setups, I can vouch for both being great options in 2019. You aren't stuck with one vendor these days if you want great performance.

BakumatsuX

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Just an update: while gaming (mass effect 2, doom, injustice 2), the temps go from 58-68 °C. The thing is I've been monitoring the temperature using msi afterburner and all seems fine (never saw the cpu temp go over 58 while playing doom or 64 with Injustice) but after closing the game, I check the graph and it shows a maximum of 67. So why is that? Is it during the load?