[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x on MSI B450 Tomahawk high voltage at idling problem

thefreshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2016
Just wanted to ask if these voltage spikes are normal for Ryzen 7 2700x at idling? I havent touched it in BIOS, it wasnt manually OC-d, It does have PBO on auto. Also the cores clock speed goes to 4.3 sometimes at idling, but when gaming at like 20% load voltage stays stable at 1.35 and core clocks are at 4.05.

Should i turn PBO off and manually lock core clock to 4.1 at 1.35V as I have a stock cooler or just leave it to do its thing as thats what i read on other forums.

Heres the screen of HWINFO64 when idling
http://prntscr.com/lvf1js

and heres when playing a game
https://prnt.sc/lvey6r

Solution

The bad thing about Tomahawk (and all MSI boards) is the VRM controller lacks a voltage offset adjustment which allows a...

The bad thing about Tomahawk (and all MSI boards) is the VRM controller lacks a voltage offset adjustment which allows a negative offset, thereby lowering the core voltage. That makes it less useful for PBO overclocking of X chips. I feel getting the lower VCore is important to keep the chip cooler which will enable it to boost longer.

But have you tried altering some of the PBO parameters to improve the core boosting performance under load?

You might try using a very high LLC; higher LLC's on my Mortar tend to actually result in a lower VCore that doesn't go up so high under load.

EDIT adding: I just saw this...later BIOS's for Tomahawk have added offset voltage so rather than trying to do this just get the later BIOS and use PBO the way it was meant to be used...with offsets that lower VCore to lower temperature.

Last edited:
Solution

thefreshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2016

The reason why it stays this high is cause of the power plan. I was using high performance and it kept core clock and voltage high, but when i switch to balanced, it goes to 2.0 ghz and 0.8 V. Now i see theres a ryzen balanced power plan and idk if i should use that instead

I definitely would try as it certainly can't hurt.