[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x overheating randomly

Sep 28, 2020
I built my pc last year and its been working almost perfect, but recently it has been overheating and shutting down my pc even though I reduced its max preformance state (currently at 70%), cleaned the heatsink, and replaced the thermal paste. The light next to the cpu will go red than white and green as the pc shuts down than immediately turns back on. Using the cooler master hyper 212 cpu air cooler. Any suggestions?

Solution
I have same mobo, red light is from CPU, yellow(orange) is DRAM, white is GPU and green is boot.
In my build I have problems with CPU and RAM, Ryzen 7 1800x and some cheap ram, of course 2 of 4 sticks didnt work, and CPU is used so I must set the right clock for cpu.Try to auto OC in EZ System Tuning to "ASUS Optimal" save this settings and boot to windows, try some stress tests, remove ram sticks & clean dimms and sticks (dust may create a problem), you may not believe but dust is a very ticklish problem.Do memtest or windows memory diagnostic test.Good luck!

serioussamik17

Distinguished
Just two things to know-What is power supply unit are you using? Also how old is your rig?
Seems like there are issues with voltage or erratic power which is causing the overheat. Also check just once try defaulting the BIOS settings to see if the issue persists.

Sep 28, 2020
The rig is one year old the psu is the thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750w and it’s like 3 months old and im pretty sure the bios settings are default i will double check in the morning thou

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020
which mobo you have, did you overclock the cpu, changing voltages or anything else in BIOS?
did you try cinebench and cpu-z to see max cpu frequency on stress test?

Sep 9, 2020
I have same mobo, red light is from CPU, yellow(orange) is DRAM, white is GPU and green is boot.
In my build I have problems with CPU and RAM, Ryzen 7 1800x and some cheap ram, of course 2 of 4 sticks didnt work, and CPU is used so I must set the right clock for cpu.Try to auto OC in EZ System Tuning to "ASUS Optimal" save this settings and boot to windows, try some stress tests, remove ram sticks & clean dimms and sticks (dust may create a problem), you may not believe but dust is a very ticklish problem.Do memtest or windows memory diagnostic test.Good luck!

Solution
Sep 28, 2020
Ok ill try that

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
hi, just a quick question,but did the overheating and shutting down issues start from the moment your changed your power supply? if some maybe you should check the "8pin" to the motherboard is pressed in fully. if the mother board is only getting power from 4 of the 8 pins ,it could cause issues. and sometimes fail to boot properly. .. also checkout this video link, it might help .. https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1042678