[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x power consumption?

Solution
Cpu package is normally the highest temp recorded by a single core. It's not a consistent temp. So what you are seeing for package is a spike.

On the Gigabyte X570 Master with the 3900X, PBO limits were as follows: PPT 1200W, TDC 540A, and EDC 600A. On the MSI Godlike, the limits were: 1000W, 490A, and 630A.

The motherboard bios power limits are most likely Not set for AMD recommended settings. So by running default settings you are actually allowing the cpu to boost far beyond Amd recommendations of 142w.

However, 68°C is entirely good for a gaming temp, especially with a mediocre cpu cooler like yours.

Wattage = Amps x Volts. If the amperage is high, no worries, the VRM's are built to handle it. The bigger concern would be...

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi Amddefector.

The Ryzen 2700X has a TDP of 105 watts. It can go as high as ~180 watts if you OC the CPU.

It will idle at around 15 watts.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571-12.html

Thanks for the info. Not always but sometimes when gaming I've checked hw monitor to check my temps and the CPU has been over 200w. It's running stock with turbo boost enabled. I guess next time it does that it would be a good idea to check the voltage maybe?

Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PPT for a 105w cpu is 142w, TDC (normal use) is 95A and EDC (spikes) is 140A.That's what governs a Ryzens behavior according to AMD. But thats where motherboards make a difference. PBO will follow those limits as they are firmware, therefore limited.
It's the default setting that's up for grabs and motherboard vendors can and do change those levels and artificially boost the cpu.

Reactions: Nemesia

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I've just played cyberpunk 2077 and my CPU power went up to 257w that was CPU package.
Cores was at 190w CPU temp went to 68c!
I have a cooler master 120l aio cooler.
I've looked in the bios but apart from the turbo boost there's no other oc enabled?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu package is normally the highest temp recorded by a single core. It's not a consistent temp. So what you are seeing for package is a spike.

On the Gigabyte X570 Master with the 3900X, PBO limits were as follows: PPT 1200W, TDC 540A, and EDC 600A. On the MSI Godlike, the limits were: 1000W, 490A, and 630A.

The motherboard bios power limits are most likely Not set for AMD recommended settings. So by running default settings you are actually allowing the cpu to boost far beyond Amd recommendations of 142w.

However, 68°C is entirely good for a gaming temp, especially with a mediocre cpu cooler like yours.

Wattage = Amps x Volts. If the amperage is high, no worries, the VRM's are built to handle it. The bigger concern would be voltage, if that's pushing over 1.4v then that's too high and you'll run the risk of burning out the cpu.

I'd suggest you run Ryzen Master and find out what's what, and use that to set more moderate power limits. It could mean losing a few fps, but that's the price of a healthy cpu.

Solution