Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I'm building a new PC, and the CPU I'm choosing is, well, I think it's kinda obvious. What I do want to know though is what is the best/maximum speed for my RAM with this CPU? I'm going with DDR4 16GB, but I don't know how many mhz. Based on the NewEgg page for the CPU, it says it supports DDR4 2933, but I'm not sure what it means by that. Is that the max speed it can work with? Is that the recommended speed?

Basically, should I just stick with 2933 or would I be able to go up to something like 3466?

2933 is the official speed, but with XMP on your motherboard it can go higher, normally topping out about 3200.
Now it is not just about Ram Speed, it's also about CasLatency, so the lower that is, the better.
Generall CL14 @3000 is as good or better than CL16 @3200.
But if you can get CL14@3200 that's even better. - but expensive!

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-ram-speed-x470-pinnacle-ridge,review-34826-5.html - Dont use this link, JPG's broken as always UK server is crap/broken

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed-x470-pinnacle-ridge,6064-5.html - Use this one

You can see which ram suits your needs

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would strongly adivse you to check the memory compatibility list (QVL) for the exact MB you are going to buy.
That will insure that you get a RAM kit that was tested on your exact model MB and will run at it's rated speeds without issue.

And as stated above 3000 or 3200 MHz RAM with lowest possible timings are best for use with a Ryzen CPU.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I'm building a new PC, and the CPU I'm choosing is, well, I think it's kinda obvious. What I do want to know though is what is the best/maximum speed for my RAM with this CPU? I'm going with DDR4 16GB, but I don't know how many mhz. Based on the NewEgg page for the CPU, it says it supports DDR4 2933, but I'm not sure what it means by that. Is that the max speed it can work with? Is that the recommended speed?

Basically, should I just stick with 2933 or would I be able to go up to something like 3466?
Overclocking results are not constant, buying any 3000mhz or even 3200mhz RAM won't guarantee you will see a overclock like that. Bios updates over time have helped compatibility but have also hurt the overclocking of some modules while helping others. Ram prices increase heavily the lower the CL is so your purchase is going to depend on your budget. What is your motherboard and the best bet on buying RAM is looking at proven results from benchmarks.

As @delaro said, any memory speed beyond what the 2700X is rated for is an effective overclock on the memory controller. (But remember that the memory isn't overclocked to that speed, as it is rated for whatever the specs show.)

So if you have instability, good idea is to increase your IMC voltage.

But, fortunately it is pretty rare these days for a popular 3000-3200mhz kit to actually not work with Ryzen if you are on the latest official BIOS updates.

My recommendation would be either 3000mhz CL14 or 3200mhz CL16 (CL14 is also good if you can afford it). 3200mhz CL16 can outperform 3200mhz CL14 but it doesn't all the time, so they are basically equal. Buy whichever you think is best or fits your budget.

You can get 3466mhz RAM, but anything after 3200mhz for Ryzen really drops off in performance gain, and 3466mhz is really hard to run on most Ryzen chips.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019

I just had the same problem, ended up with HyperX fury predator 3200mhz, but when i upgraded to my large cpu fan, predators didnt fit, so i returned them and picked up HyperX Fury 3200mhz c18, they were cheaper and perform at 3200mhz. They are much better imho, performance is pretty much identical in real world, they look better, are smaller, are able to run at lower voltage, and are cheaper. Also have offical compatibility with ryzen.

Also currently im running that hyperx fury at 1,35V, 3200mhz and c14. Will do some memory stability testing later today.

In my experience, going over 3200MHz RAM on 2700x and 400 series chipset MBs, is border line of diminishing performance gains for whole system performance. Overclocking RAM over it's XMP is also very uncertain, Samsung b-die still reigns supreme.
Compatible, 3200MHz CL14 seems like an ideal match penny wise.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
In my experience, going over 3200MHz RAM on 2700x and 400 series chipset MBs, is border line of diminishing performance gains for whole system performance. Overclocking RAM over it's XMP is also very uncertain, Samsung b-die still reigns supreme.
Compatible, 3200MHz CL14 seems like an ideal match penny wise.

Even if i wanted, my mobo wont let me go above 3200mhz, which is funny because for some reason xmp profile 1 tries to go to 3466 and crashes. I thought its supposed to know what is mobo limit (yes i have latest bios). Anyway, timing wise i wonder how fat can i push it. I ran prime95 at C13 for 40 minutes and it was fine, ill test it overnight with memtest again.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Look here to find RAM that has been tested on your MB:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO#support-mem-14
Click on the Pinnacle Ridge (Memory Rx-2x00) Tab
C14 made with Samsung chips will be the most overclockable BUT are very expensive.
C15 or C16 Hynix chipped RAM will work well but are Not as overclockable as the Samsung B Die chips.
Either way I would get a 3000 MHz or 3200 Mhz kit.

Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Look here to find RAM that has been tested on your MB:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO#support-mem-14
Click on the Pinnacle Ridge (Memory Rx-2x00) Tab
C14 made with Samsung chips will be the most overclockable BUT are very expensive.
C15 or C16 Hynix chipped RAM will work well but are Not as overclockable as the Samsung B Die chips.
Either way I would get a 3000 MHz or 3200 Mhz kit.

According to that site it appears that the two models I'm looking at haven't been tested with this MOBO? The ones I'm considering are F4-3000C14D-16GVK and F4-3200C15D-16GVK (G.Skill Ripjaws V)

Does that mean they won't be compatible/overclockable?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If they are Not on that list or shown as compatible on the G.Skill site they will most likely work but probably only at 2133 Mhz or possibly slightly faster.

Have you looked at these that are on the list:
https://www.gskill.com/en/search?keyword=F4-3200C14D-16GVR

PS any listed here on the G.Skill site should also work at the rated speed or even higher:
https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=3396&model=3442

This 2933 Samsung based kit would probably be a decent choice as well:
[Flare X (for AMD)] F4-2933C14D-16GFX

Last edited:
Reactions: gskill support