[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x random BSoDs

Aug 7, 2019
Hello! Some time ago I bought new system for gaming. My specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 8.0GB x2 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz (included in QVL)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
GPU: NVidia GeForce 1080 Ti
System: Windows 10
PSU: 650W
Monitor: 2560x1440, 144hz

The only overclocking I did is set default XMP profile for this RAM (and I need it, without it performance is terrible), nothing more.
The problem is I have frequent random BSoDs while gaming (destiny, overwatch). List of errors I remember:
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
All related to ntoskrnl.exe

I tried following solutions:

1. sfc, dism scan showed nothing special
  2. chkdsk shows no disk failure
  3. run couple of tests for RAM - no failure
  4. updated Windows, bios, chipset, GPU, other drivers several times
  5. disabled fast boot option
  6. tried to increase RAM voltage to 1.4

I know there are so many threads about similar problems, but I couldn't find the answer that would work for me.
I am not sure, but PSU could be weak for this setup.
Please help!

Solution
I recently purchased a 2700x with the sale prices going, paired with a X370 Taichi.
I have had all manner of issue when trying to use an XMP profile, or trying to use performance boost. Issues range from crash on game start, complete lock up, check CPU code on boot, strange latency issues, etc. I have found no other option than to turn those items off and stay with a stable, stock load.
Does that motherboard have any "precision overdrive" settings or any sort of "auto OC" configuration?

The only thing I can think of is:
1.- RAM XMP profile is not being set correctly.
2.- CPU is OC'ing itself to un-safe levels.

Was this happening with the RAM working slower?

Cheers!

Aug 7, 2019
Does that motherboard have any "precision overdrive" settings or any sort of "auto OC" configuration?

The only thing I can think of is:
1.- RAM XMP profile is not being set correctly.
2.- CPU is OC'ing itself to un-safe levels.

Was this happening with the RAM working slower?

Cheers!
I noticed that Ryzen Master software was overclocking my CPU and after uninstalling it my CPU run ar default 3700mhz and temperature became lower, but it didn't solve the main problem.
I alro tried to lower RAM frequencies to different values manually and it seemed to be stable, but performance was bad and I had constant fps stutter in destiny.

If you turn off XMP, do you games still crash?
What make/model is your power supply?

Note: generally speaking, changing RAM timings doesn't make a hugely noticeable difference unless:
  1. You are running memory benchmarks
  2. You are using the CPU's integrated graphics chip

Unfortunately, for Ryzen, it can make noticeable differences when you're running games that like to thread bounce a lot.

I am willing to say it's the RAM timings that are giving you headaches, my fellow earthling. Try to tweak on top of the XMP profile and run memtest until you get them 100% stable.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, for Ryzen, it can make noticeable differences when you're running games that like to thread bounce a lot.

I am willing to say it's the RAM timings that are giving you headaches, my fellow earthling. Try to tweak on top of the XMP profile and run memtest until you get them 100% stable.

Cheers!
As far as RAM speed, it depends how far you are going. If you are going from a 2400 Kit to a 3600 Kit, it can make a noticable difference. If you are just tightening up the timings of your 3200 Kit (which is what XMP does), the different shouldn't be noticable (especially when gaming with high image quality).

Look at the Far Cry benchmarks on the page below for more details:
https://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-m...ryzen-7-2700x-on-the-amd-x470-platform_205154

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I recently purchased a 2700x with the sale prices going, paired with a X370 Taichi.
I have had all manner of issue when trying to use an XMP profile, or trying to use performance boost. Issues range from crash on game start, complete lock up, check CPU code on boot, strange latency issues, etc. I have found no other option than to turn those items off and stay with a stable, stock load.

Solution