[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x stupid high clocks unstable and high temps

May 29, 2019
Ok so I have a Ryzen 7 2700x and i have an all core overclock of 4.3 ghz but sometimes during heavy loads in hardware monitor I can find that it is going up to 4.78 ghz across all 8 cores for like 2 seconds before coming back down to what I have it set to and when this happens too much it gains instability because I have the voltage set to keep 4.3 ghz all core stable not 4.7ghz I would try to give it more voltage or let it auto volt but I currently can barely keep it under 80 c at the voltage I have set so if I allow it to go up on voltage to keep it stable then it would probably very easily overheat. Should I fix this by getting a better cooler or should I just lock the the core clock. I am using a msi x470 gaming m7 ac motherboard the current cooler I am using is probably not even as good as the stock wraith prism cooler it is a Phanteks PH-TC14S. When I say it is 4.78 ghz all core I mean it because it shows 4.78 ghz on all cores #0-#7.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018
Did you turn off TURBO option in BIOS when you OCed ? When you OC your CPU cores and you want them to permanently run at those frequencies, you need to turn TURBO off in BIOS which is normally turned on for every stock CPU you buy.

To me it seems like your CPU is trying to TURBO boost when it thinks 4.3 is not enough in some high demanding app and since your 4.3 is now stock frequency instead of TURBO frequency, it starts TURBO which gets you to the power limit thus 4.7 GHz in your case.

I have OCed CPU for years but it never went above frequencies that I've set so this is only idea I have.

Reactions: Blitzsensenmannhase
May 29, 2019
yes it probably would be the xfr2 because it believes that I can go higher on the clock speed but I have the voltage locked so it cannot remain stable so untill I get a better cooler I will have to turn off the xfr2 (xfr2 is bassically turbo but it does a lot more than a regular turbo boost)

May 29, 2019
and as for the glitch it is not I have used hardware monitor ryzen master command center cpuz even the built in performance tab on task manager. I also find it strange that in the bios I can use the xfr2 along with my all core overclock.

May 29, 2019
it is not staying at 4.8 it goes there for like 2 milliseconds and comes back this is likely due to me not putting some kind of limit on my xfr2 profile and it stays at between 4.3 and 4.4 over all cores around 98% of the time under full load, it may spike at 4.7 during load transition.

May 29, 2019
I also would like to mention that my computer only crashes when the temperatures get to 80c and this post is mostly about should I leave it and get a better cooler or should I lock the frequency and stick with my current cooler which I do not even know if my current cooler Phanteks PH-TC14S is as good as the wraith prism rated 135w (stock). the main issue is I cannot keep it stable at high temperatures.

Last edited: