[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700X temps

Nascarfan1491

Prominent
Aug 23, 2019
So I believe my CPU temps are too high. Right now I have 6 google chrome tabs open, discord, and Spotify and my temps are sometimes spiking up to 70. My min is 37 and the high is 70. In-game it has gotten up to 91 one time but normally does get above 88. I'm using the stock wraith prism. When I was putting on the cooler I did not turn the lever cause It felt like it was going to brake and I did not know what side it was supposed to be on. So my question is are those normal temps? and if not what can I do?

Solution
Ok, so I just looked up people's pics of the cooler and there lever is to the left and mine is to the right so I guess that means it isn't tight like it's supposed to be. Do I need to completely take it off again or just turn the lever?

I am actually surprised that the cooler is staying in place and the computer is booting at all if you didn't "snap the lever" (so to speak). It is what presses the cooler against the CPU and allows for efficient heat transfer.

Assuming that all you did was set it there, try to clip it, couldn't, stopped...I would be willing to bet the paste is fine. Snap the lever into place and see if your temps don't correct a great deal.

winks42

Respectable
what are you using to get those temps? The cooler might not be fully seated correctly on the CPU if the lever is not compressed, If you have any thermal paste laying around I suggest taking the cooler off, cleaning the paste, and resit the cooler. Your temps on load Should not go above 80 so 91 is way too high.

Reactions: Nascarfan1491

Nascarfan1491

Prominent
Aug 23, 2019
what are you using to get those temps? The cooler might not be fully seated correctly on the CPU if the lever is not compressed, If you have any thermal paste laying around I suggest taking the cooler off, cleaning the paste, and resit the cooler. Your temps on load Should not go above 80 so 91 is way too high.
I am using MSI Afterburner. I used the paste that was preapplied to the cooler.

Nascarfan1491

Prominent
Aug 23, 2019
Ok, so I just looked up people's pics of the cooler and there lever is to the left and mine is to the right so I guess that means it isn't tight like it's supposed to be. Do I need to completely take it off again or just turn the lever?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I am actually surprised that the cooler is staying in place and the computer is booting at all if you didn't "snap the lever" (so to speak). It is what presses the cooler against the CPU and allows for efficient heat transfer.

Assuming that all you did was set it there, try to clip it, couldn't, stopped...I would be willing to bet the paste is fine. Snap the lever into place and see if your temps don't correct a great deal.

Reactions: Nascarfan1491
Solution

Nascarfan1491

Prominent
Aug 23, 2019

So when I do it (which I will in about an hour) if it is hard to turn and I still do it does it have a risk of breaking anything?

Nascarfan1491

Prominent
Aug 23, 2019
I would go look up a quick how to video on securing the cooler. The latch should have some resistance to it but not be really hard to clip. Make sure you have the tabs in the right place, etc.
Ok, so apparently all that hard force is normal I watched a video I turned the bracket now I am going to turn some tests and see if its better