[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x vs Ryzen 5 3600?

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
Hi, i'm building a new pc, exclusively for video editing, music production, etc. I've heard that for these things it's usually better to go for higher core count, but i get lost in all the information. So, if you guys could help me decide which one to get it would be a relief. Again, it's only for editing and rendering. Thx <3

Solution
Compromise, and get the 3800X? :)

It was generally accepted that the IPC increases associated with the 3000 series very nearly made the 3600's six cores as fast as the 2800X's eight cores in multithreaded apps...; but, you can likely find specific benchmarks comparing them from back when the 3000 series hit the market in the onslaught of reviews /comparisons the first week or so...

It was generally accepted that the IPC increases associated with the 3000 series very nearly made the 3600's six cores as fast as the 2800X's eight cores in multithreaded apps...; but, you can likely find specific benchmarks comparing them from back when the 3000 series hit the market in the onslaught of reviews /comparisons the first week or so...

Solution

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017

Thanks for the response, i found a good deal on the threadripper 1920x so i think im going with that one :)

Thanks for the response, i found a good deal on the threadripper 1920x so i think im going with that one :)
Just be aware...
1920X, threadripper, is based on Zen1 tech...that's 14nm. Not Zen2 nor Zen3 with it's substantial IPC uplift. To get the most of it you have to configure memory right, with 4 sticks minimum, 8 sticks optimum. And use a TR-4 socket motherboard, which tend to be more costly. The memory and motherboard alone could negate benefit of the deal you got on the CPU.

While you're probably not worried about it for video editing the memory can be laggy...that might pose problems for music editing. I'm not sure. It's also (only) 12 core/24 thread. If you can find one a 3900X, also 12core/24 thread, would be a much better all around. And be sure to compare cost of CPU/Motherboard and memory to be fair.

Last edited:

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
Just be aware...
1920X, threadripper, is based on Zen1 tech...that's 14nm. Not Zen2 nor Zen3 with it's substantial IPC uplift. To get the most of it you have to configure memory right, with 4 sticks minimum, 8 sticks optimum. And use a TR-4 socket motherboard, which tend to be more costly. The memory and motherboard alone could negate benefit of the deal you got on the CPU.

While you're probably not worried about it for video editing the memory can be laggy...that might pose problems for music editing. I'm not sure. It's also (only) 12 core/24 thread. If you can find one a 3900X, also 12core/24 thread, would be a much better all around. And be sure to compare cost of CPU/Motherboard and memory to be fair.
Thank you, we managed to find a good deal on the ryzen 5 5600x and ryzen 7 3700x, so i think im going between one of these two.

Latest posts