[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x with minimal power

Mar 22, 2019
Hi all!

I am currently in the middle of a new pc build, and I budgeted it to order in two parts. Unfortunately, I was not able to fit the power supply in the first part, but I do have an old PSU that I can use to test for posting.

I am building a Ryzen 7 2700x on B450 variant of a motherboard, which has a 2x4 socket for CPU power.

My PSU only has a single 2x2 plug-in, and I was wondering if I could post with, what I presume to be, half of the expected power? (It wouldn't be under much load during posting, right?)

Solution
Hi all!

I am currently in the middle of a new pc build, and I budgeted it to order in two parts. Unfortunately, I was not able to fit the power supply in the first part, but I do have an old PSU that I can use to test for posting.

I am building a Ryzen 7 2700x on B450 variant of a motherboard, which has a 2x4 socket for CPU power.

My PSU only has a single 2x2 plug-in, and I was wondering if I could post with, what I presume to be, half of the expected power? (It wouldn't be under much load during posting, right?)
As TechyInAZ said - note that it's not always written in the manual, the only sure-fire way is to try. Now, a single 4 pins power connector should be able to provide power to the CPU by itself, provided you're not...
Hi all!

As TechyInAZ said - note that it's not always written in the manual, the only sure-fire way is to try. Now, a single 4 pins power connector should be able to provide power to the CPU by itself, provided you're not trying to overclock it - contrary to Intel, AMD's TDP is the global power envelope for the CPU; as long as you don't enable Precision Boost Overdrive or any other overclocking feature, your PSU should be able to handle the load on a single 4-pin connector.
If the motherboard doesn't boot on the first try though, don't insist.

Solution