[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x acting wierd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2021
So basically for the last month either my CPU or Motherboard (MSI B450 A PRO MAX) have been acting wierd and i have not been able to identify my issue.
From time to time my RYZEN 7 3700x will literally lock its self at a certain clock speed and will not go any higher.
Usually it would sit around 2.1 - 2.5 GHz at 1.4 volts which isnt healthy im pretty sure (in the link to my screenshot on imgur it shows 0.5 GHz tho as i didnt want to launch a game because then it would just do the same 2.1 - 2.5 GHz at 1.4 volts thing which isnt something i want to see)
and honestly i dont understand why it would do this
are my motherboard VRMs bad or is it the CPU
ive had this pc for nearly a year and the problem showed up recently
i suspect it might be the motherboards fault but im not sure
has this ever happened to anyone?
The only thing that fixes this temporarily is a system restart but then it does the same thing later on.

Screenshot of my issue

And before you comment "just restart your pc if this happens" no that isnt something i would want to do more and more as the problem gets worse over time
im also very concered about what is happening to my computer so i would rather eliminate the faulty component as soon as possible

Solution
So basically for the last month either my CPU or Motherboard (MSI B450 A PRO MAX) have been acting wierd and i have not been able to identify my issue.
From time to time my RYZEN 7 3700x will literally lock its self at a certain clock speed and will not go any higher.
Usually it would sit around 2.1 - 2.5 GHz at 1.4 volts which isnt healthy im pretty sure (in the link to my screenshot on imgur it shows 0.5 GHz tho as i didnt want to launch a game because then it would just do the same 2.1 - 2.5 GHz at 1.4 volts thing which isnt something i want to see)
i suspect it...
i suspect it might be the motherboards fault but im not sure
has this ever happened to anyone?
The only thing that fixes this temporarily is a system restart but then it does the same thing later on.

Screenshot of my issue

And before you comment "just restart your pc if this happens" no that isnt something i would want to do more and more as the problem gets worse over time
im also very concered about what is happening to my computer so i would rather eliminate the faulty component as soon as possible
It sounds more like something is overheating and going into protect mode. As already mentioned check CPU temperature. Or simply check that all fans are operating, especially the one on the CPU cooler. And also check CPU cooler mounting, that all fasteners are evenly and completely tightened.

What cpu cooler and case do you have? And what is your case fan arrangement: the number in front/back/rear and direction they are blowing?

What PSU do you have? and GPU?

You could also do a CMOS reset...turn off, disconnect power, remove coin cell battery and short pins together for 30 sec's to a minute (the reset pin location is found in the manual). When it restarts go straight into Windows and run it with all default settings for a while to see if it repeats the symptoms before making any custom settings in BIOS.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 5, 2021
It sounds more like something is overheating and going into protect mode. As already mentioned check CPU temperature. Or simply check that all fans are operating, especially the one on the CPU cooler. And also check CPU cooler mounting, that all fasteners are evenly and completely tightened.

What cpu cooler and case do you have? And what is your case fan arrangement: the number in front/back/rear and direction they are blowing?

What PSU do you have? and GPU?

You could also do a CMOS reset...turn off, disconnect power, remove coin cell battery and short pins together for 30 sec's to a minute (the reset pin location is found in the manual). When it restarts go straight into Windows and run it with all default settings for a while to see if it repeats the symptoms before making any custom settings in BIOS.
seems like a good idea

btw GPU is RTX 2070 Super (overclocked to 2130Mhz on the core and 7800 on the memory)
and the PSU is a Corsair TX650M

i think the fans are fine i have 3 sucking air in and two sucking air out at the back
one above the CPU and other behind

The Cpu Cooler is the Stock Ryzen one with the rgb
the thing is that this seems to happen when i turn the pc on and not while playing so i dont think its over heating as the temps are around 50 degrees

edit: forgot to say that in fact the case is pretty good on airflow as there are tons of areas where heat can just leave so its pretty cool inside there usually

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.