Question Ryzen 7 3700x causing my system to freeze for 10+ seconds at a time

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello!

So i just upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a new r7 3700x and got a msi mag b550 tomahawk to match the chip. I was super excited until i realized I was freezing (Spotify audio would stop, i couldn't alt tab, couldn't open or close tabs) for 10+ seconds at a time. My bios was the original bios when the board came out so today i upgraded to the November one (second latest because the latest which came out this month is still in beta). I noticed on msi the date was 2020-11-04 however after updating, msinfo says 2020-10-29 which are different dates. anyways, i still have the freezes, infact they are more frequent after the update.

A little more info, task manager says i idle at like 4.1ghz. NZXT CAM says around 4-4.2. I wonder why I idle so high when the box says 3.6.

The ram I use is slow and cheap, it runs at like 2800mhz and I hear ryzen likes 3000-3200mhz but i thought that was only first gen.

Any help is appreciated. the freezes come on low load, like when i have spotify and a few tabs open and sometimes when i tab out of a game.

Hello!

So i just upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a new r7 3700x and got a msi mag b550 tomahawk to match the chip. I was super excited until i realized I was freezing (Spotify audio would stop, i couldn't alt tab, couldn't open or close tabs) for 10+ seconds at a time. My bios was the original bios when the board came out so today i upgraded to the November one (second latest because the latest which came out this month is still in beta). I noticed on msi the date was 2020-11-04 however after updating, msinfo says 2020-10-29 which are different dates. anyways, i still have the freezes, infact they are more frequent after the update.

A little more info, task manager says i idle at like 4.1ghz. NZXT CAM says around 4-4.2. I wonder why I idle so high when the box says 3.6.

The ram I use is slow and cheap, it runs at like 2800mhz and I hear ryzen likes 3000-3200mhz but i thought that was only first gen.

Any help is appreciated. the freezes come on low load, like when i have spotify and a few tabs open and sometimes when i tab out of a game.
If you didn't do a clean install of Windows after your upgrade I would do that first.

Dec 31, 2020
Yooooo I am literally having the same exact problem. My pc is new and I got the same Ryzen 3700x and its doing the exact same thing as yours. My games literally freeze like that aswell. Ive run into the problem that my whole pc actually turns off by iteself. Im currently looking for the solution but as you said its supposed to base clock 3600ghz but its literally running 4.4ghz which is the max it can handle for no reason. I went into bios and it is automatically set to 3600 but when I play a videogame it starts to automatically max overclock. My fps went from a regular 260 to 670-700 and my ECU was at max capacity which is probably why my whole computer turns off. I checked my ECU and it was literally max capacity on AMD Ryzen Master. Im looking for help on this issue aswell to have my cpu run at base clock and not automatically full overclock for no reason.

might want to check your power management settings. things like Selective Suspend tend to shut down USB devices with undesired effects.

Check whether the system is allowed to power off the hard drive and network cards also....

would not worry about the high clock when idle. it's just some background task like windows telemetry or antivirus db update running with boost because the processor is idle.

Yooooo I am literally having the same exact problem. My pc is new and I got the same Ryzen 3700x and its doing the exact same thing as yours. My games literally freeze like that aswell. Ive run into the problem that my whole pc actually turns off by iteself. Im currently looking for the solution but as you said its supposed to base clock 3600ghz but its literally running 4.4ghz which is the max it can handle for no reason. I went into bios and it is automatically set to 3600 but when I play a videogame it starts to automatically max overclock. My fps went from a regular 260 to 670-700 and my ECU was at max capacity which is probably why my whole computer turns off. I checked my ECU and it was literally max capacity on AMD Ryzen Master. Im looking for help on this issue aswell to have my cpu run at base clock and not automatically full overclock for no reason.
You should start your own thread really. There are only a couple of reasons why a pc would turn off that I can think of, one being the power supply tripping OCP or OPP and the other being a really high CPU temperature.

Dec 31, 2020
I think I figured it out. I went to Control Panel--> Power Options---> Change Power Savings--> Power Saver. It dropped the overclocking of 4.4Ghz to a constant 2.2Ghz. Also dropped the EDC from 99% to a Constant 23%. It overall cured my problem and I think we both had the same problem so I hope it helps.

I think I figured it out. I went to Control Panel--> Power Options---> Change Power Savings--> Power Saver. It dropped the overclocking of 4.4Ghz to a constant 2.2Ghz. Also dropped the EDC from 99% to a Constant 23%. It overall cured my problem and I think we both had the same problem so I hope it helps.
You didn't solve anything! You purposely gimped your CPU severely to cover the real issue.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpus will only run at base clocks with constant loads under @ 15% total. With any other load, or even short burst loads during service/process startups, it'll run as many threads as required at max boost clocks according to cpu temp.

So if the pc only needs 1-2 threads to do a windows check, it'll boost both threads to 4.4GHz. If it needs all 16 threads, it'll boost to @ 4.0GHz.

Ryzens work best with either MS or Ryzen Balanced power plan. It allows the cpu to drop to @ 5% load and park all cores except 1 during idle.

I'd learn how Ryzen works first, before deciding there's an actual issue. Band-aid fixes will never replace the need for stitches.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

Sounds like normal operation. Ryzens auto boosts, that's how they work, unless you disable CPB but not sure why you want to limit your CPU's potential. They won't operate at base speeds during loads, most often they will go to their top speeds or surpass it if you got a good chip. Your freezing has nothing to do with it auto boosts, that's normal.

Try turning off PBO in bios if it's on (it's its auto it's disabled but just disable it manually). Otherwise, not sure about your freezing.

Try using Ryzen Master and OC it to 4.2ghz at a good stable voltage and see how it performs (if freezing still occurs).

My ryzen 5 3600 boosted to 4.2ghz on the dot (rated max speed), and now my 7 5800x boosts to 4.85ghz (0.15ghz over its rated specs) with no issues. Don't limit your CPU's potential.

Last edited:

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
If OP didn’t reinstall Windows I’m amazed it runs at all.
The origional forum for this question kinda turned into someone elses question being answered, Was this response for me? With a new cpu I need a fresh reinstiall of widows to stop random freezing?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a start. Fresh windows, then fresh motherboard chipset drivers, the fresh gpu drivers. That pretty much eliminates any software possibilities, leaving only hardware issues if there's no fix.

Possibly a bios update to the latest available, even if it's a beta.

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,

So I posted about this at the beginning of this year but after some recommendations and more testing I am still having PC issues.

I just upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a new Ryzen 7 3700x and got an MSI b550 Tomahawk motherboard to match the chip.

same GPU (GTX 1070 FTW)
same hdd and ssd
same ram (g-skill something its cheap, speeds are like 2800 mhz)
same psu (Corsair 750 watt gold rated)

I started the machine and well it works. But I get these freezes randomly and each freeze is different. A freeze can be a system lock up where I cant do anything for like 10 seconds. Another could be Spotify audio would stop, but the track timer continues then after 10 seconds it would go back to the time stamp where the audio cut out and continue. Another would be one chrome tab would lock up but I can tab into other chrome tabs or other tasks. Sometimes I click to close, confirm, or open a task and I get the "(not responding)" until it clears up. Point is, it can either fully freeze or like... weirdly lag or something.

This happens on idle, or load and I want to list some trouble shooting I've done in order from first to last thing I did.

1. Installed second latest motherboard bios (latest from last December is still in beta so I used the November one)
  2. Updated latest GPU driver
  3. Did a windows memory test, all good
  4. Did an SFC Scan and it says "found corrupted files and successfully repaired them"
  5. Both drives are reading as "healthy" according to widows disk management
  6. Just reinstalled windows (chose the one that keeps apps but deletes settings, NOT a full wipe)

Side notes:
  • After upgrading and first booting in the bios, "game boost" was enabled, not sure what it was until I was confused as to why I was idling at 4.4 ghz and someone told me to turn it off
  • I'm not familiar with msi bios, or really any bios but for some reason I am on UEFI Legacy? Not sure if that's proper or not, not quite sure how to get off legacy nor know much about it
  • My old CPU would idle at low 20 C and load never hit above 40C (using hyper 212 evo, and I'm in optimal conditions)
  • This cpu idles at 32-40 C and load 50-57 C (same cooler, same conditions)
  • Task manager says my CPU is chillin at 4-4.2GHZ on idle (which to me is weird because it advertises at 3.6 base, and ive never seen it below 3.8)

Any help is appreciated, its really weird what's going on and the worst part is I'm not sure what or where the point of failure is coming from, but my guess is CPU or at least MOBO since those are the only new things and everything was crystal before my upgrade.

Thanks!