[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x Constant 1.45v when ICUE is open

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
I have had an issue since I built my new PC last week where my 3700x stays at 1.45v idle according to Ryzen Master and Hwinfo. I have read all of the reports on the observer effect and how they were meant to be fixed with bios updates (my bios is quite new). It only seems to be ICUE causing a problem, the CPU seems to boost cores on idle and never sleep cores like it does when ICUE is off. I am quite frustrated with this issue as i dont want to shorten the life of the chip. I have been in contact with both corsair and AMD support. AMD has sent multiple ideas such as resetting BIOS reinstalling chipset drivers and replacing CMOS battery. AMD also mentioned to try all power plans in windows and disabling gaming mode in windows. Nothing seems to fix it, corsair have not been in response at all after I sent my email to them about 1 week ago.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My full specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

Aorus Elite X570 AM4 Motherboard

2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM 3600Mhz

RTX 2070 Super 8GB Graphics Card

Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold PSU

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit 1909

4 Drives in total:

-Samsung 840 Evo 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)

-WD Green 3TB Hard Drive

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

-WD Blue 500GB SSD

Solution
All I can add to this right now is for the last 4 systems I've built in the last year all had iCue and I've never experienced this problem.

ICue does however not get along with HWINFO64 at all. It causes odd behavior in iCue. Make sure you don't have iCue and HWINFO64 running at the same time. Also, make sure you don't have Ryzen Master and HWINFO64 running at the same time.
HWinfo suffers from the observer effect...so core voltage readings will be the peak vs average unless they've fixed it on a new release I'm not aware of. If Ryzen Master is telling you your average core voltage is 1.4v then it is. I would lay the blame where it obviously is...ICUE is hogging cpu resources. You may be able to find alternative software to do the same things you're using ICUE for...or you can simply run ICUE only when you need to use it and otherwise shut it down.

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
The thing is, I use Icue for my mouse DPI, Keyboard and mouse lighting, case fans and case rgb, macros and other things. Its a pretty important program on my PC. What core voltages are safe, do you think corsair would release an update that would allow you to turn off the hardware monitoring parts or it? It just seems like a stupid solution to a PC that I paid a lot of money for and expensive corsair hardware.

I have had an issue since I built my new PC last week where my 3700x stays at 1.45v idle according to Ryzen Master and Hwinfo....

That's a common problem with iCue. First thing to do is make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest, or ver F10 at least. Second is install the AMD Chipset Drivers. Get them from the AMD website to be sure they are the latest. Be sure to run the Ryzen Balanced power plan (installed with the chipset drivers) and don't make changes to processor power states.

Next, in BIOS, make sure the following settings are enabled: AMD Cool n quiet, Global C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

That should fix the iCue problem...and any other utility that keeps the processor from dropping cores into sleep modes and letting voltage drop in light loads with constant queries for processor status. If you can't uninstall iCue at least post back complaints to Corsair to fix their crappy coded software that messes with systems the way it does.

Corsair makes good PSU's and fans, that's probably all I'll ever buy of theirs since they don't require use of that software.

Last edited:
It's doing a lot so it's not surprising it's hitting the cpu so much...the way Ryzen dynamically varies voltage and Windows shuffles tasks between cores I'd think it would be fine as long as temps are good.
If you're running PBO try turning it off and see if the average voltage drops a bit...PBO doesn't add anything noticeable anyway besides possibly in a benchmark. I don't run it on my 3600 because there was zero change in gaming fps when using it.

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
BIOS is on F11, I updated chipset drivers from AMD Website for X570. Changed to ryzen balanced. Manually turned on AMD cool and quite, CPPC and Processor CPPC and global C states Control. Still getting no sleeping cores and Ryzen master is sitting on 1.44v. I am actually fed up with corsair, their support is dreadful. How they can charge such a premium is beyond me.

BIOS is on F11, I updated chipset drivers from AMD Website for X570. Changed to ryzen balanced. Manually turned on AMD cool and quite, CPPC and Processor CPPC and global C states Control. Still getting no sleeping cores and Ryzen master is sitting on 1.44v. I am actually fed up with corsair, their support is dreadful. How they can charge such a premium is beyond me.

I'm assuming you've left CPU clock or multiplier on auto and especially VCore voltage on auto too, or at least only make changes using offsets. I don't think you'd have any expectation of voltage dropping otherwise! I also assume you realize that voltage will 'spike' as high as 1.4...even up to 1.5..when the CPU boosts even from idle. But it shouldn't stay there, it should also drop down to 1.0V or less in sleep states.

In HWInfo64 sensors, look for a section called processor C-State Residency. It shows the % of time in C0 (full power, or at least no sleeping) , C1 and C6 (deep sleep) for each core. If no core ever goes into C6 with it set up as above then you know something's wrong. Mine only does that if Global C States setting is DISABLED.

The BIOS, chipset drivers and balanced plan was the fix for iCue (and some other softwares that did the same thing) way back in the beginning shortly after Zen 2 first came out. If it's back to doing it then maybe Corsair's made changes to break it again. That's just unthinkable.

Can you roll back to an earlier version of iCue to see if it starts working right? that's not really a solution though, I know.

Last edited:
OH YES and one thing I forgot...

In HWInfo64, look at the voltage reading in the 3700X processor section titled 'CPU Core Voltage (STI2 TFN)'. That's the actual core voltage inside the CPU and the most correct.

I have left the clock and voltage on auto. I understand that 1.45v is safe during load momentarily but i dont feel comfortably with it sitting at 1.45v for a long time. View: https://imgur.com/a/WSY9Y9b
This is my C state Screenshot. I am very happy to try rolling back ICUE and will do so now.
Yeah...never going into C6. Somethings wrong and if it's Icue that's doing it it's broke as heck.

ADDED: also, in bios try change global c states to AUTO and to DISABLED just to see if it's dis-functionally out of sync with what it's actually doing.

I also assume you've done a CMOS reset at some point since you're last BIOS update? or at least troubleshooting this?

Last edited:

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
I realised the SV12 value from reading on another forum I think. ICUE dosent seem to have any older download the latest one I can go back to is like version 2.6 from 2017 which dosen't support all of my current peripherals.

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
Yeah...never going into C6. Somethings wrong and if it's Icue that's doing it it's broke as heck.

ADDED: also, in bios try change global c states to AUTO and to DISABLED just to see if it's dis-functionally out of sync with what it's actually doing.

I also assume you've done a CMOS reset at some point since you're last BIOS update? or at least troubleshooting this?
I did a CMOS rest this morning only left it out for a minute though so maybe not long enough. I disabled C state and results in HWinfo seems the same. The motherboard hasnt had a BIOS update. It shipped with F11, I built the PC a fortnight ago.

I did a CMOS rest this morning only left it out for a minute though so maybe not long enough. I disabled C state and results in HWinfo seems the same. The motherboard hasnt had a BIOS update. It shipped with F11, I built the PC a fortnight ago.
The CMOS reset would only fix a problem cause by settings not functioning as expected, which can happen with a BIOS update sometimes. So that's probably not an issue and the short reset you did was probably more than enough for that if it was a problem

All I can say right now is the 1.45V may not be as bad a problem as you think, at least. Yes, it's desireable to go lower but it's only really harmful if driving high core currents while temperature is also high, at low processing loads that not going to be the case. When load does pick up the voltage should droop naturally (due to the resistance of the motherboard and socket) as core current also picks up. That's why you need to look at the (SVI2 TFN) voltage reading to get a good indication of the core voltage internal to the processor when processing a heavy load and core currents are high along with high temperature.

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
So you think I could leave it and be sure that it wouldn't impact the life of the chip? Just seems undead is all as when I close icue the pc only want to draw around 1v in most cores.

So you think I could leave it and be sure that it wouldn't impact the life of the chip? Just seems undead is all as when I close icue the pc only want to draw around 1v in most cores.
What is the STI2 TFN voltage readout doing as you work in the system? Is it dropping as you start to work the CPU hard and temperature rises? If it's not dropping as far as the 1.30V or less range when under extreme heavy load (something like Prime 95) then yes, it could easily be doing harm.

DomC128

Prominent
May 15, 2020
ok, I ran Prime95 and saw SV12 core values of around 1.35v, between 1.344 and a max of 1.369. Is this safe? I ran the test without ICUE and saw similar values only difference being after the end of the test ICUe jumped to 1.45 and non icue dropped to 1.05v

I could of course set a voltage offset of -0.05 however i dont know if that would be beneficial or not.

I did only run the tests for around 5 min

All I can add to this right now is for the last 4 systems I've built in the last year all had iCue and I've never experienced this problem.

ICue does however not get along with HWINFO64 at all. It causes odd behavior in iCue. Make sure you don't have iCue and HWINFO64 running at the same time. Also, make sure you don't have Ryzen Master and HWINFO64 running at the same time.

Solution
HWinfo suffers from the observer effect...so core voltage readings will be the peak vs average unless they've fixed it on a new release I'm not aware of. If Ryzen Master is telling you your average core voltage is 1.4v then it is. I would lay the blame where it obviously is...ICUE is hogging cpu resources. You may be able to find alternative software to do the same things you're using ICUE for...or you can simply run ICUE only when you need to use it and otherwise shut it down.

I've read LOTS of instances of ICUE 'issues'....

Reactions: dorsai