[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x died after 3 days

May 2, 2020
Hey everyone
i ordered ryzen 7 3700x few days ago and i installed it and everything was working just fine in the third day i was watching and i put the computer in the sleep mode after few hours i noticed one of the ram rgb is still on i tried to turn the computer on i couldn't the fans kept spining fast with ram led on the mother board on i tried to replace the ram with my second system still had the same problem but when i tried to put the the ryzen 3700x in my second system i couldn't boot ...am having a serious problem in my brand new system... and think my ram is dead as well because of it....
My specs:

Amd ryzen 7 3700x

Cooler master 240mm watercoling

Gigabyte aorus b450 elite

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb 3600mhz

Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m.2 nvme ssd

msi geforce rtx 2070 super gaming x trio

Cooler master masterwatt 750w 80+ bronze

Solution
The fact that the memory isn't behaving correctly AND the CPU doesn't work in the other board, suggests to me that something is wrong with the motherboard in System 1 that has caused this problem, but it would be very good to know for sure that the motherboard in System 2 has an up to date BIOS version so that we know it can support the newer 3700x. Otherwise, it won't work in that board anyway.

And if the CPU is faulty, using IT in the other motherboard would have been just as risky as trying to use the older CPU in the motherboard from System 1. But since you've already tried it and it didn't cause any damage then it's probably not a risk to try it again after updating the BIOS.
May 2, 2020
Have you tried the CPU from System 2 in the motherboard for System 1? Have you tried the memory from both systems, in the other system?
Yeah i swapped the memory from system 2 same problem i tried 3700x on system 2 and i had the same problem again nothing on the screen but i didn't try ryzen 2600 on system 1 just in case there is something wrong with power delivery circuit in the board and will fried my second cpu

I would try using the memory from System 2 along with the CPU from System 2, in the board from System 1. It's a risk, sure, but unless you want to pay to ship your CPU to AMD and then find out it's not faulty and that you have a board problem anyhow, and then have to pay to have it shipped back to you, and then ship the board out, you might have to take that chance. Obviously, that's up to you.

Do you have a system beep code speaker connected to either of these boards, and if so, were you getting any specific beep codes?

No, we sometimes read the post, where it says that the CPU was tested on a different system with the same result.
And that result couldn't be because the other motherboard has an older CPU installed in it and does not have a BIOS version that supports the newer CPU, could it? That couldn't possibly be possible, right?

I'm not saying it IS what's happening, but it certainly IS possible.

Also, we usually don't take what people who have come here for help say at face value. They might be knowledgeable, but they might not be. They might have done everything right, but more often than not, they haven't. SO it is ALWAYS a good idea to assume EVERYBODY is an idiot, until they show that they are not and that no steps have been overlooked. Assuming they are idiots does not mean TREATING them like they are idiots though. It just means, make sure to use the same process to troubleshoot for everybody, no matter what they say. I don't know how many HUNDREDS of people have told me they didn't have any bent pins on their CPU or motherboard but before it was over, they discovered that they actually DID.

May 2, 2020
I would try using the memory from System 2 along with the CPU from System 2, in the board from System 1. It's a risk, sure, but unless you want to pay to ship your CPU to AMD and then find out it's not faulty and that you have a board problem anyhow, and then have to pay to have it shipped back to you, and then ship the board out, you might have to take that chance. Obviously, that's up to you.

Do you have a system beep code speaker connected to either of these boards, and if so, were you getting any specific beep codes?
No i don't have a speaker connected I've swapped the ram same the tried different configurations and cleared the cmos nothing changed am just afraid to risk my second cpu on the first system

I understand your fear, but your only options right now really are to RMA the CPU to AMD, or try the other CPU in the System 1 motherboard. And if you RMA the CPU to AMD you may ending eating some shipping costs and losing some time, for nothing. You will have to decide for yourself whether it is more likely that the motherboard or the CPU is to blame.

Can you confirm whether or not the Steel legend motherboard has the latest BIOS version installed so that it SHOULD support the 3700x, or does it NOT have a new enough BIOS version installed to officially support that 3700x? What BIOS version IS actually currently installed on the Steel legend motherboard?

May 2, 2020
I understand your fear, but your only options right now really are to RMA the CPU to AMD, or try the other CPU in the System 1 motherboard. And if you RMA the CPU to AMD you may ending eating some shipping costs and losing some time, for nothing. You will have to decide for yourself whether it is more likely that the motherboard or the CPU is to blame.

Can you confirm whether or not the Steel legend motherboard has the latest BIOS version installed so that it SHOULD support the 3700x, or does it NOT have a new enough BIOS version installed to officially support that 3700x? What BIOS version IS actually currently installed on the Steel legend motherboard?
Not really sure about the bios version i bought it one month ago i will check tomorrow if it's not i will update it and try it one more time to confirm whether the cpu is damaged or not either way am sending the motherboard and ram back

The fact that the memory isn't behaving correctly AND the CPU doesn't work in the other board, suggests to me that something is wrong with the motherboard in System 1 that has caused this problem, but it would be very good to know for sure that the motherboard in System 2 has an up to date BIOS version so that we know it can support the newer 3700x. Otherwise, it won't work in that board anyway.

And if the CPU is faulty, using IT in the other motherboard would have been just as risky as trying to use the older CPU in the motherboard from System 1. But since you've already tried it and it didn't cause any damage then it's probably not a risk to try it again after updating the BIOS.

Solution
And that result couldn't be because the other motherboard has an older CPU installed in it and does not have a BIOS version that supports the newer CPU, could it? That couldn't possibly be possible, right?
While that is true, and indeed we make mistakes on any level of expertise, the warranty by far is the safest way to go if available. Tampering may void it and lead to financial loss.
Sending virtually anything for RMA within 30 days of purchase is usually free and the only drawback is the time spent waiting.
I would RMA the motherboard, the RAM, and the CPU and get a whole new set (they all might be faulty).
`

Sending virtually anything for RMA within 30 days of purchase is usually free and the only drawback is the time spent waiting.
According to WHO? Show me ONE single hardware manufacturer, even Newegg that does the RMA for SOME of the hardware it sells, they ALL require YOU to pay for shipping to them. Then, IF they determine something was wrong with the hardware they will pay for the shipping back to you, but if they say the hardware is fine they WILL charge you to ship it back. No hardware manufacturer I've ever dealt with has ever had a policy of paying for return shipping on parts that were not faulty.

Amazon might be the exception, but even then, that's not an RMA really, that's simply a defective product return under merchantability laws, not under warranty replacement.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And nobody has mentioned the psu...

Motherboards very seldom just go bunk on their own, there's usually an underlying cause. There's possible cpu damage, possible ram damage, possible motherboard damage to have caused this. But what caused That? None of those 3 components have any common denominator. Just the psu. A bad memory controller could cause ram to go bunk, but that won't affect the motherboard. Bad motherboard would have to fry the mc and the ram. But what fried the mobo? Is it a black widow psu where even if a new motherboard/cpu/ram installed doesn't turn around and cause a repeat?

Since you lack the proper equipment to test a psu fully, I'd be inclined to assume that the psu stands a very good chance of being the root cause of failure and RMA that too. Better to loose a few $ to shipping than get put in the position of a possible 2nd mobo, cpu, ram rma which can be turned down under user abuse excuse.

Reactions: vov4ik_il
Two power supplies, one of which is a fairly decent Silverstone? Very unlikely, given the symptoms and indications, to be the cause considering the use of these different PSUs in each system. If they were both complete garbage, then I'd be fairly inclined to agree it was possible, and it IS possible, but it's very unlikely. Especially since there are not going to be significant power requirement differences between the 2600 and the 3700x during the POST process, and the system POSTs fine with the 2600 but does nothing with the 3700x installed. If it was a PSU issue, there's going to be SOMETHING happening, or nothing happening AT ALL.

I just don't see it. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but despite the fact that I'm normally one of the first people to start shouting "PSU", I'm having trouble imagining it as the problem in this case. I don't like the choice of PSU in the case of the CM unit, but it should still be good enough for the system to POST. Especially since it's brand new, which I realize doesn't necessarily mean much in some cases but the 85°C Teapo caps generally mean the unit might not last all that long, rather than some other design flaws making problems from the start likely.