Question Ryzen 7 3700X extremely high heat with Arctic LF2 240

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hey everyone,

As the title reads, I've been having concerns over high heat (92-93C, Thermal throttling not kicking in with PBO enabled at ~140W Pack Power) even while using the LF2 240,
I used Prime95 to stress test the CPU and it seemed to settle at around 93C with the AIO going at 100%, I used Arctic MX-4 paste and only got this CPU a little while ago.

I'm thinking about trying to remount it and repaste it, but as I have a limited amount of resources (paste, time and money), I'm unsure as to if it would really be that effective and I might just be overreacting to the temps.
So if any of you have any insight or have tested a similar setup with Prime95, please let me know.

In Cinebench R23, the CPU scored 12360 points and sat around 78-80C.

Hey everyone,

As the title reads, I've been having concerns over high heat (92-93C, Thermal throttling not kicking in with PBO enabled at ~140W Pack Power) even while using the LF2 240,
I used Prime95 to stress test the CPU and it seemed to settle at around 93C with the AIO going at 100%, I used Arctic MX-4 paste and only got this CPU a little while ago.

I'm thinking about trying to remount it and repaste it, but as I have a limited amount of resources (paste, time and money), I'm unsure as to if it would really be that effective and I might just be overreacting to the temps.
So if any of you have any insight or have tested a similar setup with Prime95, please let me know.

In Cinebench R23, the CPU scored 12360 points and sat around 78-80C.
Way too high, I had same setup and temps were rarely going over 60c at CB r23 tests,
Providing setup is right that sounds like a pump problem.
There was a problem with some Arctic LF series and it's block/pump gasket falling apart and clogging everything. Arctic offered kits or return to fix it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdEqWpexH0&t=5s

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Way too high, I had same setup and temps were rarely going over 60c at CB r23 tests,
Providing setup is right that sounds like a pump problem.
There was a problem with some Arctic LF series and it's block/pump gasket falling apart and clogging everything. Arctic offered kits or return to fix it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdEqWpexH0&t=5s

I had heard about this, but subsequently forgot as when I checked my AIO in with Arctic at the time, they said it was unaffected, however, this degradation has been only increasing as time goes by, and I keep the system relatively clean with weekly dustings. But considering I've noticed that my idle temps have only gotten higher over time, it might still be the gasket.

Thank you for reminding me and I'll check in with Arctic to see what I can do.

Reactions: CountMike

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
I messaged Arctic a few days ago now, and it seems like they have yet to get back to me, I don't know if they just have a lot of traffic or something else is going on, as far as I've seen and heard, their support is really good.

Strangely enough, maybe I just didn't notice this before, it seems to me that the CPU seems to be getting hotter, when I'm just watching YT or have Steam doing some kind of update, it sits at 60-70C, lowest I've seen is when I cold boot the system in the morning and the CPU sits at 30-40C, then starts warming up towards the low 50's

I messaged Arctic a few days ago now, and it seems like they have yet to get back to me, I don't know if they just have a lot of traffic or something else is going on, as far as I've seen and heard, their support is really good.

Strangely enough, maybe I just didn't notice this before, it seems to me that the CPU seems to be getting hotter, when I'm just watching YT or have Steam doing some kind of update, it sits at 60-70C, lowest I've seen is when I cold boot the system in the morning and the CPU sits at 30-40C, then starts warming up towards the low 50's

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Small update,

Still haven't received any message from Arctic, CPU sits at 52-57C while watching YT. CPU usage stays between 5-15%, fluctuating on the lower end. Package power stays around 45-50W.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
That's OK, what matters is max temps at high loads

Under gaming loads that actually use the CPU, it reaches up to 80C, Prime95 holds it around 86C with an all-core boost of 3.85 Ghz, weirdly enough, the temps seemed to have dropped since the last time I've taken a look at them under P95 loads.

Oh, nvm, I looked at HWinfo more closely and it clearly shows that It's actually thermal limiting itself, before it didn't do that lol

Still guessing this isn't normal though, even with a 240mm AIO