Question Ryzen 7 3700x high temp with Noctua NH D15s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hello. I have a temp issue with my R7 3700x high temp underload and idle with Noctua NH D15s. idle is above 45C, and underload like running Aida64 default selected option stress test cause the temp is go above 85C on HWinfo64. Even playing PlanetSide 2 cause the CPU temp to 77C and slowly reaching to 80C. I did reapply thermal paste with 3 dots and check the mounting, and it seems fine to me. Ryzen Balance Power Plan selected.

ROG Strix X470F
R7 3700x
2x16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz RGB
Corsair 750D with 2x 140mm fans intake front and 1x 140mm exhaust back
Ambient is 30C

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
26c is decent and I would expect 34c-36c idles temps at your ambient temp.
Try the Performance Enhancer settings I mentioned, they should keep your voltage slightly lower.
I have mine set to Level 2 and my voltages are pretty close to yours, from 1.32v to 1.41v depending on load and .9v to 1v at idle.

Reactions: SumTingW0ng

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
26c is decent and I would expect 34c-36c idles temps at your ambient temp.
Try the Performance Enhancer settings I mentioned, they should keep your voltage slightly lower.
I have mine set to Level 2 and my voltages are pretty close to yours, from 1.32v to 1.41v depending on load and .9v to 1v at idle.

What is Performance Enhancer? I am no good at overclocking.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What is Performance Enhancer? I am no good at overclocking.
View: https://imgur.com/BjWQZrp
Information to note when using Performance Enhancer.
With eXtended Frequency Range (XFR) version 2, there are configurable options which can increase boost frequencies and duration.
The available options are PPT, TDC and EDC under “Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\Precision Boost Override Configuration”.
The BIOS item “Performance Enhancer“ tunes these options in a simple way.
Level 1 and 2 rely only on the AMD provided options mentioned.
Level 3 and 4 has a few tweaks of our own (with the help from The Stilt) which causes XFR to always boost to the highest possible frequency.
When using Level 3/4, make sure to use the Balanced power profile, or adjust the “Minimum Processor State” to below 50% on your preferred profile.
Otherwise, Core Performance Boost (CPB) will not work properly and single threaded performance will suffer. Additionally there’s a grace period of roughly a minute after entering the operating system until P-states are engaged properly.
Each CPU is different and boosts to different frequencies, the same settings on two different samples will give different results.
The increased frequencies might be too high for some CPUs or require additional voltage.
When using this function, it’s best to rely on Offset Mode for the CPU Core Voltage.

Disclaimer - You will want to have a board with an adequate VRM and liquid cooling to keep thermals in check when using the higher levels because things can get a little toasty.
Disclaimer 2 - Levels 3 and 4 probably should not be run 24/7 or under long sustained load. Bad things could happen.

Level 1 & 2 are using constraints recommended by AMD for silicon reliability and life span.
Level 3 & 4 are enhanced versions by the Stilt and ASUS and is basically an overclock. From what i remember, they ignore power and current limits to achieve higher clocks.
Level 3 & 4 (4 especially) can put quite a high voltage through the chip 1.5v+ under lower core workloads which is quite bad for silicon reliability over the long term. You can of course and as others have said set a negative offset in the BIOS and see if your still stable. Although i found that while under all core load my voltages were nice, under lesser core workloads it still sat constantly at 1.45-1.49v, which i didnt like.

Reactions: SumTingW0ng
Hi, if you feel like it, you could try the following:

If you can find the options (there were 3 on my Gigabyte motherboard), I will just go to BIOS and disable everything related to PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), and any kind of AutoOC it may be enable.

Don't mistake PBO with PB (Precision Boost), PB is fine, from my humble point of view PBO and Ryzen 3xxx still need a long work to fine tune.

Then try out prime95 and aida64.

Reactions: DMAN999

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Did you try the Defualt/None setting for Performance Enhancer ?
If that doesn't help suing a Voltage Offset may be the best option for you.

It set default at "Auto". Should I disable it manually?

Hi, if you feel like it, you could try the following:

If you can find the options (there were 3 on my Gigabyte motherboard), I will just go to BIOS and disable everything related to PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), and any kind of AutoOC it may be enable.

Don't mistake PBO with PB (Precision Boost), PB is fine, from my humble point of view PBO and Ryzen 3xxx still need a long work to fine tune.

Then try out prime95 and aida64.

Disable which one brother?
View: https://imgur.com/a/i7S1CNv

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Try this. Go to Control Panel, Power Options and set power plan to Power Saver mode. Go to Change Plan Settings and select Change Advanced Power Settings. Go to Processor Power Management and select Minimum CPU speed to 5%, The voltage on the CPU should drop from 1.48V to 1.1 volts. The CPU should run cooler and when under load,m it will ramp back up to 1.58 volts. If you want to keep the temps down, you can cap the maximum CPU speed to 99%. While sounds it will have a big impact on the performance, it will not really be that much because of how the Ryzen CPUs are rated.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Try this. Go to Control Panel, Power Options and set power plan to Power Saver mode. Go to Change Plan Settings and select Change Advanced Power Settings. Go to Processor Power Management and select Minimum CPU speed to 5%, The voltage on the CPU should drop from 1.48V to 1.1 volts. The CPU should run cooler and when under load,m it will ramp back up to 1.58 volts. If you want to keep the temps down, you can cap the maximum CPU speed to 99%. While sounds it will have a big impact on the performance, it will not really be that much because of how the Ryzen CPUs are rated.

Will that prevent the CPU running max near 1.5v?

Thanks for the suggestions and helps, brother. Unfortunately, turning off PBO does nothing to the temp. No performance impact without PBO and with PBO from Cinebench R20, but the temp is still pretty dam hot. I already ordered a new MX4 thermal compound this week Monday, and it will be deliver today (Wednesday, October 2) to see if that is help.

My Cooler is no wobble at all when all the screws tighten down. I will test if it is wobble without a paste to see if it is making direct contact with the CPU

I also read some users comment on this reddit post made by Robert @ AMD: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/?ref_source=embed&ref=share

And upon reading some users comment on that post, I found some users also have the same underload temp issue as I am. One user have DarkPro 3 and CPU temp hits above 85C under stress test.

I did test Prime95 latest version with the second Small FFT test option, and it doesn't push hard compare to one run of Cinebench R20. Prime95 latest Small FFT second option @ 10 minutes only push up to 62C - 64C while one Cinebench R20 run push up to 70C, and creeping close to 80C.

I did test Prime95 latest version with the second Small FFT test option, and it doesn't push hard compare to one run of Cinebench R20. Prime95 latest Small FFT second option @ 10 minutes only push up to 62C - 64C while one Cinebench R20 run push up to 70C, and creeping close to 80C.

Those aren't excessive temperatures running a power virus like Prime95, small FFT. If you didn't disable AVX those are excellent... Cinebench rendering uses AVX and you can't disable it.

Have you tried loading default settings in BIOS and/or resetting CMOS? Something may be seriously messed up in the way you've got BIOS set up by now, so getting back to basics and making a test might be a good idea.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
There is 1 thing that has always puzzled me with this mobo which the op and i have the same.

What i noticed on my previous bios's was
The way it would perform on testing benchmarks if i went in and set nbio xfr, then into ai tweaker and set pbo and docp and timimgs and rebooted i didn't get anywhere the same as setting separately each section and rebooting after each one.
It's almost like there was too much at 1 time.
I started with docp and timings and ram voltage rebooted.
Then xfr rebooted
And then Pbo and rebooted
Why it would make that much of a difference is still making me scratch my head.

But now on bios 4602 doing the reboot on each change I can't tell if it is doing any good.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Those aren't excessive temperatures running a power virus like Prime95, small FFT. If you didn't disable AVX those are excellent... Cinebench rendering uses AVX and you can't disable it.

Have you tried loading default settings in BIOS and/or resetting CMOS? Something may be seriously messed up in the way you've got BIOS set up by now, so getting back to basics and making a test might be a good idea.

I did that sir and it still bad in temp under heavy load. One user has 3800x and custom loop and hit 95C under heavy load.
View: https://imgur.com/Q1HCl8d

I did that sir and it still bad in temp under heavy load. One user has 3800x and custom loop and hit 95C under heavy load.

Kind of pointless to draw any conclusions from that if you don't know what 'heavy load' is. It can do that on Prime95 small FFT very easy as AVX is the worst sort of power virus imaginable for AVX-512 capable processors. Intel even provides a BIOS setting on many of their processors to cut back clocks during AVX instructions to prevent cooking them.

What's your question, btw?

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Kind of pointless to draw any conclusions from that if you don't know what 'heavy load' is. It can do that on Prime95 small FFT very easy as AVX is the worst sort of power virus imaginable for AVX-512 capable processors. Intel even provides a BIOS setting on many of their processors to cut back clocks during AVX instructions to prevent cooking them.

What's your question, btw?

My question and problem are in the title of this thread and the 1st post I made in this thread, sir or mam. Heavy load, underload, and full load are the same. You push the CPU to 100%. My CPU temp under 100% usage is high. In gaming is creeping close to 80C which is not normal for a beefy air cooler like Noctua NH D15s. Surfing on the web hitting max 70C like seriously? Folks over AMD subreddit say my temp is normal, but it is not normal. In addition, 1.4v to 1.5v is not normal for everyday usage. Who knows what the lifespan will be in those conditions.

Right now, I disable PBO in the bios and set offset voltage negative .80 and temp is a little bit much better. A lot of people said to me that 1.5v or near 1.5v is way too high, and only liquid nitrogen can handle it, not even 280mm AIO can handle 1.5v heat coming from the CPU. I wish I could refund my 3700x. Robert @ AMD can give me a good lesson all day long, but at the end of the day my CPU temp is high. There is someone on here with 360 rad custom water cooling, and he experience like 50C while watching Youtube video.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...orking-right-high-temps.3529692/post-21324304

Last edited:
My question and problem are in the title of this thread and the 1st post I made in this thread, sir or mam. Heavy load, underload, and full load are the same. You push the CPU to 100%. My CPU temp under 100% usage is high. In gaming is creeping close to 80C which is not normal for a beefy air cooler like Noctua NH D15s. Surfing on the web hitting max 70C like seriously? Folks over AMD subreddit say my temp is normal, but it is not normal. In addition, 1.4v to 1.5v is not normal for everyday usage. Who knows what the lifespan will be in those conditions.

Right now, I disable PBO in the bios and set offset voltage negative .80 and temp is a little bit much better. A lot of people said to me that 1.5v or near 1.5v is way too high, and only liquid nitrogen can handle it, not even 280mm AIO can handle 1.5v heat coming from the CPU. I wish I could refund my 3700x. Robert @ AMD can give me a good lesson all day long, but at the end of the day my CPU temp is high. There is someone on here with 360 rad custom water cooling, and he experience like 50C while watching Youtube video.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...orking-right-high-temps.3529692/post-21324304

What are you using to measure VCore? get HWInfo 64, latest, and look at SVI2 TFN voltage after adjust the sample frequency to 500mS. Is that voltage steady 1.5 V under load? if it is you've mal-adjusted something along the way: it should only boost to upwards of 1.5 V in light bursty load situations, dropping back down to 1.2 or less when no bursting load requires it. Under sustained heavy loads voltage should be much lower...dropping below 1.4V to the low 1.3 Volt range.

In short: if as you say "Heavy load, underload, and full load are the same." then you've set it up wrong. In which case it would not be the processor's fault, but yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosslhs82x2