[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700X MSI Dragon Center issue?

Nov 17, 2020
Hello

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place or if my question has been answered previously, I didn't really know how to properly look because I'm not even sure what my question is.

Basically the chip is supposed to be a 3.6Ghz ship, in MSI Dragon Center however it always seems to be running at 4.2Ghz (if I'm reading things right) and the fans always seem to be working harder when the computer is idle (CPU usage 5 or 6%). I've gone into dragon center and changed the settings to custom, making it 3.9Ghz, which usually calms the fans down, but after a few days I will see that everything is back up to that 4.2Ghz and I can hear the fans going again. Maybe this is normal, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me, if the CPU is not doing much, why is it heating up and running at higher rates than what it's supposed to (based on the 3.6Ghz claim).

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
RAM: CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3GHz PC4-24000 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6
PSU: EVGA - W1 Series 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply

I used to cool it with the fan that came with the CPU, that was working fine but mostly for aesthetic purposes, I decided to get a Corsair H150i Elite AIO Cooler. Technically the CPU is being kept at a decent (I think) 50C.

So really I'm not having any real issues, other than I don't think it's ok that my computer always seems to be running at 4.2Ghz when I'd be perfectly happy with it at 3.6Ghz.

This is my first PC Build in many years, last time I had built a computer was in 2000, so it's safe to assume I don't have much clue as to what I'm doing, but any help/advice is most appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
If Dragon Centre thinks CPU is way faster than it actually is, and is adjusting fans to reduce the imagined speed, I would take it off as its getting wrong signals from something. I don't know where windows gets its figures from but its clearly wrong.

You would think software made by motherboard maker would know right CPU speed..

I generally let the bios look after the fans in system. if AIO is linked to the motherboard you could use ICue to track temps but not actually adjust fan speeds apart from choosing if fans on aio are on quiet, balanced, extreme or zero rpm plans - I watched an older video on Icue and you used to be able to change fan curves but I don't see it now.

s4thjB5.jpg

admittedly it doesn't...

Colif

Win 11 Master
which profile are you using in Dragon Centre?
▪ Extreme Performance – A configuration that boosts the highest possible performance for AAA games, and enable overclocking.
▪ Balance - MSI recommended settings for average users.
▪ Silent - A configuration that allows system to run smoothly with minimum loading.
▪ Customize - Customize the performance level and fan speed as desired.

to deselect a profile you just click on its name again
See page 16 - http://download.msi.com/manual/mb/DRAGONCENTER2.pdf

I don't know how you set one to default. its not mentioned in the pdf above.

Also, what power scheme are you running?
go to settings/system/power
click on Additional power settings
Are you on AMD Balanced or AMD High Performance?

it seems Dragon centre can change these Reddit link

what speed does ryzen master see you doing? getting accurate speeds out of windows for my 3600XT is a struggle, task manager thinks I am always on at least 4ghz when really cpu cores might be off and its actual speed is not even close. HWINFO and Ryzen master are about the only 2 that are even close to accurate. Ryzen master sees about half the speed Windows thinks I am running at. if not more...

cZ7c1t6.jpg

temp scores shown are an average of at least 50 sensors on the CPU. It jumps around based on what OS is doing, can spike up if a core is woken up. With a similar AIO(H100i) I get about 42C here.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsnstuff
Nov 17, 2020
which profile are you using in Dragon Centre?
▪ Extreme Performance – A configuration that boosts the highest possible performance for AAA games, and enable overclocking.
▪ Balance - MSI recommended settings for average users.
▪ Silent - A configuration that allows system to run smoothly with minimum loading.
▪ Customize - Customize the performance level and fan speed as desired.
Hello! Thank you for all of this info. I will certainly have to go check a few things that I hadn't really thought of. I don't even know if I have Ryzen Master in my computer, honestly not familiar with any of it, but I'll look into it. I'll have to check the power settings I have set up on the computer as well. I tend to usually keep things in whatever the default was.

I'm not all that familiar with Dragon Center either, I just know that when I open it, it says 4.2Ghz on the screen. I remember at one point I was playing around with the different modes and when I tried "Silenced" mode, my fans got a lot quieter and I believe the 4.2Ghz had gone down to like 3.9 or something like that. I liked that, so I left it like that. Everything was fine for a few days but then one day I could hear the fans going again, I decided to check Dragon Center and my PC was no longer running at the 3.9Ghz, it was back to 4.2Ghz. I selected "Silenced" mode again and it went back to how it was. Again worked for a few days and then back to the same.

Eventually changing any of the modes didn't seem to be doing anything so I went into the custom mode and changed it to run at 3.9, once again fans were quieter but again, after a while it would go back. Mind you, I don't really know what I'm doing and I never try to make anything to get higher numbers because honestly I'm fine with the computer's speed, I don't care for overclocking, I just assume that lowering instead of increasing the numbers can't be that bad. Even then I try to not touch most of those settings, but I don't even know if that (custom option in Dragon center) is the right place to make the changes.

Maybe this is just how things work now a days and I have nothing to worry about, I mean, Dragon Center says 4.2Ghz, but the cpu has maintained an average of 50C and the fans with the new AIO are not very loud. I guess I mostly don't understand why the CPU is working so hard and heating up so much when there really isn't a whole lot of anything going on (usually CPU usage is like 6% in idle).

Colif

Win 11 Master
If Dragon Centre thinks CPU is way faster than it actually is, and is adjusting fans to reduce the imagined speed, I would take it off as its getting wrong signals from something. I don't know where windows gets its figures from but its clearly wrong.

I generally let the bios look after the fans in system. if AIO is linked to the motherboard you could use ICue to track temps but not actually adjust fan speeds apart from choosing if fans on aio are on quiet, balanced, extreme or zero rpm plans - I watched an older video on Icue and you used to be able to change fan curves but I don't see it now.

s4thjB5.jpg

admittedly it doesn't know what CPU I actually have but close enough

Last edited:
Reactions: tsnstuff
Solution
Nov 17, 2020

s4thjB5.jpg

admittedly it doesn't know what CPU I actually have but close enough
Thank you for all your help Colif, I've just uninstalled DC, hopefully that doesn't cause any future issues but honestly I think that program was bothering me a lot more than the computer itself has been.

My AIO is connected to the motherboard via the USB, all the fans are connected to the commander pro like hub that came with the AIO, I do have it set up with a profile (in iCue) I came up with which adjusts the fans as the temp goes up, very basic, but seems to be working fine.

Now I'll just have to change the one case fan who's RGB is still controlled via Mystic Light on DC lol

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!