Harvey26

Reputable
Jul 14, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before but i'm getting mixed signals from my digging.
Ive decided i cant bring myself to spend lots of money on a laptop when i can upgrade my pc for much cheaper.
I'm still on a budget however so i came to the conclusion that the msi b450 tomahawk would be perfect for me.
However ive heard that you need a ryzen gen 1 cpu in order to update the bios of a b450 so that you can run a gen2 ryzen cpu.
What im asking is, if i buy the mobo, will i be able to run a 3700x out of the box?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
No it won't run out of the box. It will need a bios update. The tomahawk motherboard has a Bios flashback button and will not require an old CPU to upgrade to a bios version that is compatible with the new CPU's. Read through the motherboard manual for instructions.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
No it won't run out of the box. It will need a bios update. The tomahawk motherboard has a Bios flashback button and will not require an old CPU to upgrade to a bios version that is compatible with the new CPU's. Read through the motherboard manual for instructions.

Solution