[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 5600x for gaming

Oct 8, 2020
Hey,

Whats everyones thoughts on which cpu will be better for gaming? Both are about the same price. Im going to be building a new pc. Plan on 32gb ram, the lowest priced new gpu AMD will be releasing, ssd, cpu aoi. I have an older Radeon hd 480 that I could use for now if I went with the 3700x or should I wait for the 5600x? Any input would be appreciated...

Reactions: Zamundo
Solution
Wait for benchmarks.
Gotta agree with Siara Inari however know a few things. The initial 5xxx series I believe will be 8 core processors and perhaps by end of the year or even next year they will introduce a 16 core chip. IMHO if you wait for the 5600 then it comes out now what? Are you going to wait for the 6xxx series then 7xxxx series etc etc. As soon as you buy hardware its old and new one is coming out soon. So if I were you don't play the waiting game. AMD has been boasting but at the end of the day grab the 3xxx series CPU to match your needs be it 8 core or the 3950x 16 core. Because you wait and wait then get a 5xxx series they will be talking about their upcoming 6xxx series and you will feel not so good. So do...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Wait for benchmarks.
Gotta agree with Siara Inari however know a few things. The initial 5xxx series I believe will be 8 core processors and perhaps by end of the year or even next year they will introduce a 16 core chip. IMHO if you wait for the 5600 then it comes out now what? Are you going to wait for the 6xxx series then 7xxxx series etc etc. As soon as you buy hardware its old and new one is coming out soon. So if I were you don't play the waiting game. AMD has been boasting but at the end of the day grab the 3xxx series CPU to match your needs be it 8 core or the 3950x 16 core. Because you wait and wait then get a 5xxx series they will be talking about their upcoming 6xxx series and you will feel not so good. So do it now IMHO. Also its smart to not spend money on video card yet if that is only if you play at 1080p with medium settings to low settings. If you want 2k gaming with AA and high settings then upgrade your video card along with the CPU and what not. Same goes for video card. Big Navi will come out then a year from now a newer faster video card comes out. The waiting game is a game you will always lose my friend. The 3700x is perfect for 1080p and 2k gaming with AA methods and on high to ultra settings on AAA titles and you should get your 60fps locked pretty much. Good Luck.👶💯👌🤷‍♀️👽

Solution
Aug 23, 2020
I think the point here is that both Criscione and I are currently looking into building a new pc, so waiting 4-ish weeks might be worth it. In addition to that, Criscione said that he would like to get one of the new AMD gpu as well, so he would have to wait anyway for that.

I am not an expert but I imagine the 5600X being at least a bit better at gaming compared to the 3700X since I think I remember the 3600X and 3700X being not that far apart from each other.
Now the deal is finding out if the increase in performance of the Zen 3 5600X will be enough to beat or at least equal the 3700X in multi core performance as well and tasks like streaming, editing, rendering etc.. that's what I'd like to know.

Reactions: Criscione

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Im in the same boat as you. I feel like with this whole 3080 deal, im still waiting on my card, and im tired of waiting. Its always like, here is a new GPU, but wait there is a CPU right around the corner. The CPU comes out, but wait, DDRX is right around the corner, maybe wait until you can get that, otherwise your MOBO wont be compatible. By the time thats out, some other thing you think you want is right around the corner.

AMD 3000-series are really cheap. I might personally do my 3080 build with 3600 or 3700x, and maybe upgrade to Zen3 after its all settled and done, if its worth it.

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Oct 8, 2020
I think the point here is that both Criscione and I are currently looking into building a new pc, so waiting 4-ish weeks might be worth it. In addition to that, Criscione said that he would like to get one of the new AMD gpu as well, so he would have to wait anyway for that.

I am not an expert but I imagine the 5600X being at least a bit better at gaming compared to the 3700X since I think I remember the 3600X and 3700X being not that far apart from each other.
Now the deal is finding out if the increase in performance of the Zen 3 5600X will be enough to beat or at least equal the 3700X in multi core performance as well and tasks like streaming, editing, rendering etc.. that's what I'd like to know.
Exactly. I'll wait another 4 - 6 weeks for the 5600x if the performance increase is significant. I know at some point you have to bite the bullet and buy. Its just tough when something new is so close.

Reactions: Siara Inari

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
the 3700X challenges the 9700K today, and, no matter the results of the 5600X, the 3700X and 9700K will not suddenly become 'slow'' by comparison a month from now...

I look forward to the actual gaming comparisons, however, among all of the latest gen CPUs....!
I IMHO guarantee the 5600x will not defeat a 10900k at 5.2Ghz all cores. Also you are buying a budget CPU in the 5600. The 10900k will smoke it and so will a 3950x or even the 3900x IMO, not fact..... As I said AMD is boasting but it is one thing to boast and another thing to actual be factiual. AMD already fooled a lot of people about PCIe 4.0 how its 69 percent faster then PCIe 3.0 and that is false and not true and is a lie. Ive done my research and to be blunt, there is no difference in both storage and video cards and that is the facts guys.👌🤷‍♀️👶

Last edited:

lubomirz

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
storage and PCIe 4.0 is different topic than CPUs. Yes, it's totally correct that GPUs and storage today CAN NOT benefit from PCIe4.0.

Ryzen5600 will be definitely better than 3600[x] in everything and it should be better than 3700[x] in almost everything except some perfectly scaling multi-core workloads. Six cores with ~20% IPC improvement are equal approximately "7.2 old cores" so 8core 3700 still should be a bit better in workloads that scale perfectly (rendering, number crunching etc).

In very identical way, old ryzen2700 was better in 100% cpu compute intensive tasks than ryzen3600.

We also have to be real : how much your time is spent with 100% cpu utilization ? How much do you render, how long are you able to load up your CPU at 100% ? What happens if your render/compute tasks finish 15 minutes later ? you can multitask, leave it running in background and do something meaningful in the meantime. If you are not earning money with your CPU intensive tasks, it's moot point of hunting the best.

Recommendation has been provided. Just wait for benchmarks - there's nothing else you can do today, right ? Don't decide on anything today, you have no data in your hands, that's it. Also I expect these new CPUs will not be realistically available the whole November and maybe even before Christmas so the question might be if you can/will wait so long (AMD sure will push higher-priced 5900 & 5800 because they will earn more money on those, as simple as that). Next, there for sure will be a price premium on 5600 compared to 3700, it might be $100 more expensive which is very significant in this price range ! Where I live, I can buy 3600 for 175 eur with tax today ; 5600 are announced for $299 so they will go for about 350 eur realistically... and this is huge difference most likely not worth it.

Also, one thing : ". I have an older Radeon hd 480 that I could use for now"
Apologies, I don't get it. You want to use this GPU for gaming on Ryzen 3700/5600 ? That would be terribly, terribly wrong decision. I guess you decided on buying new GPU when it's available, and

Depending on the price, I'm most likely not spending 350eur on Ryzen5600 CPU : FOR GAMING, BETTER GPU with good ol' 3600 for 175 eur with MSI X470 priced 100 eur is better. Compare that combo to B550/X570 costing 175eur to be reasonably worth it plus 320-350eur Ryzen 5600... that's about 250 eur of savings !!

x470+3600 == 275 eur
b550+5600 == 525 eur (estimate)

What a terrible difference !! For gaming, faster GPU any day and the final result will be better than with faster CPU.

What we don't know yet is the memory frequency performance scaling on new CPUs. Might be interesting, now that we have much better cache & prediction modules & IPC...

Last edited:
I IMHO guarantee the 5600x will not defeat a 10900k at 5.2Ghz all cores. Also you are buying a budget CPU in the 5600. The 10900k will smoke it and so will a 3950x or even the 3900x IMO, not fact..... As I said AMD is boasting but it is one thing to boast and another thing to actual be factiual. AMD already fooled a lot of people about PCIe 4.0 how its 69 percent faster then PCIe 3.0 and that is false and not true and is a lie. Ive done my research and to be blunt, there is no difference in both storage and video cards and that is the facts guys.👌🤷‍♀️👶
PCIe 4.0 has not been utilized to it's full potential and is only an interim version, 5 and 6 standards are already defined and are waiting for implementation. Not enough reasons to switch just because of it's existence. PCIe bus is just a part of equation, not a full solution.

R5 5600x is now just an entry level Ryzen CPU, can't really compare it to 10900, certainly not a reason to switch.

lubomirz

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
we might be suprised to see 5600x being equal to 10900k in MANY games (except those really really most CPU intensive).
Let's wait for benchmarks early November. No rumors apply here, I'm patiently sitting and waiting for real numbers.

As said, you can't buy 5600 nonetheless so there's seriously no need to worry now :) where's my beer ...

Reactions: drea.drechsler
we might be suprised to see 5600x being equal to 10900k in MANY games (except those really really most CPU intensive).
Let's wait for benchmarks early November. No rumors apply here, I'm patiently sitting and waiting for real numbers.

As said, you can't buy 5600 nonetheless so there's seriously no need to worry now :) where's my beer ...
With ~19% IPC uplift and higher boost clocks I have to imagine a 5600 has potential to decimate it in gaming. But with it's cores and clocks a 10900 might still come down better for productivity tasks.

An interesting flip should it prove out in reviews!

Oct 8, 2020
storage and PCIe 4.0 is different topic than CPUs. Yes, it's totally correct that GPUs and storage today CAN NOT benefit from PCIe4.0.

Ryzen5600 will be definitely better than 3600[x] in everything and it should be better than 3700[x] in almost everything except some perfectly scaling multi-core workloads. Six cores with ~20% IPC improvement are equal approximately "7.2 old cores" so 8core 3700 still should be a bit better in workloads that scale perfectly (rendering, number crunching etc).

In very identical way, old ryzen2700 was better in 100% cpu compute intensive tasks than ryzen3600.

We also have to be real : how much your time is spent with 100% cpu utilization ? How much do you render, how long are you able to load up your CPU at 100% ? What happens if your render/compute tasks finish 15 minutes later ? you can multitask, leave it running in background and do something meaningful in the meantime. If you are not earning money with your CPU intensive tasks, it's moot point of hunting the best.

Recommendation has been provided. Just wait for benchmarks - there's nothing else you can do today, right ? Don't decide on anything today, you have no data in your hands, that's it. Also I expect these new CPUs will not be realistically available the whole November and maybe even before Christmas so the question might be if you can/will wait so long (AMD sure will push higher-priced 5900 & 5800 because they will earn more money on those, as simple as that). Next, there for sure will be a price premium on 5600 compared to 3700, it might be $100 more expensive which is very significant in this price range ! Where I live, I can buy 3600 for 175 eur with tax today ; 5600 are announced for $299 so they will go for about 350 eur realistically... and this is huge difference most likely not worth it.

Also, one thing : ". I have an older Radeon hd 480 that I could use for now"
Apologies, I don't get it. You want to use this GPU for gaming on Ryzen 3700/5600 ? That would be terribly, terribly wrong decision. I guess you decided on buying new GPU when it's available, and

Depending on the price, I'm most likely not spending 350eur on Ryzen5600 CPU : FOR GAMING, BETTER GPU with good ol' 3600 for 175 eur with MSI X470 priced 100 eur is better. Compare that combo to B550/X570 costing 175eur to be reasonably worth it plus 320-350eur Ryzen 5600... that's about 250 eur of savings !!

x470+3600 == 275 eur
b550+5600 == 525 eur (estimate)

What a terrible difference !! For gaming, faster GPU any day and the final result will be better than with faster CPU.

What we don't know yet is the memory frequency performance scaling on new CPUs. Might be interesting, now that we have much better cache & prediction modules & IPC...
Thank you...
I have to figure out if I'm better off getting a cheaper cpu and better gpu. But you are right, until there are benchmarks, can't make an informed opinion.

Thank you...
I have to figure out if I'm better off getting a cheaper cpu and better gpu. But you are right, until there are benchmarks, can't make an informed opinion.
I think it depends on game, and gaming resolution, but usually you go for the most GPU you can afford. While the CPU matters, it's always going to be much cheaper...something I read once is the GPU twice as much as the CPU but that's getting turned upside down now so I'm not sure what it should be; maybe more like 3x now.

Whether or not it retains a 'price/performance' crown depends entirely on how the reviews come down, but Zen 3's not going to be as cheap as Zen 2. We know that much.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Disregarding the possibility that the 5600X might not be readily available, buying a 3700X now to spite AMD over the price hike is like shooting your foot to spite your leg.

for lightly threaded and/or single-core workloads (like gaming) the 5600X will beat the 3700X handily because of that alleged 20% performance boost plus the 100-200MHz boost it will likely run faster.

for truly multithreaded workloads that can leverage the whole chip on the 3700X the situation is like this:

assume that one thread of zen-2 at a given clockspeed is equal to a performance of 1. the 3700X has 33% more threads than the 5600X, so if 5600X had zen-2 cores 3700X would be 33% faster in perfectly threaded loads, i.e. have a performance of 1.33. however, 5600X has zen-3 cores that run at an IPC gain of 20%, in other words, at clock parity a 3700X runs at a performance of 1.33 vs 5600X 1.2 performance.

my day-1 3700X sustains about 4.1GHz in all-core on a good day, so 300MHz under rated ST boost. assuming the same loss of speed for day-1 silicon on 5600X gives you about 4.3 allcore, which is about a 5% clockspeed boost and i think thats estimated low. multiplying that 5% clockspeed boost to the 1.2 performance that 5600X has gives you a relative performance of 1.26 in perfectly multithreaded workloads vs 3700X 1.33, in other words, 5600X is a whole 5% slower than 3700X in this idealised scenario that you will almost never see IRL.

TL;DR: 3700X has an incredibly tiny edge in perfectly threaded loads but will probably lose to 5600X is actual normal usage.

i take none of the credit for this string of arguments, its all shamelessly lifted from one of buildzoid's recent ramblings on this exact topic on youtube.

So if AMD claims are true 5600x will beat 3700x in pretty much everything except for a perfect multithreaded work where it has a slight edge.

Got this comment from another thread but it makes a lot of sense to wait for 5600x