[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super - ABYSMAL preformance (Help)

JupiterJack

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Recently, i built a new computer (Specs below). This is my 4th time building, and I have a perfect track record, except for my most recent, (and most expensive) PC.
Everything works absolutely fine except for the Ryzen 7 3700x. Under any stress test, it hits 100% usage on all cores , and temps hovers around the low 70s.
But, in any game, at all, the CPU will only work at 8%-15%, and only a few cores will be active. I would understand this, if maybe it was paired with a GTX 950, but its matched up with an RTX 2070 Super.
Furthermore, the CPU won't turn off and will constantly ramp up, and ramp down, ramp up, ramp down. The usage and temperature charts in MSi Afterburner look like sinewaves.
I've tried updating windows, and also resetting the computer.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - EVGA XC ULTRA RTX 2070 Super
RAM - 2x8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600
MOBO - ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM ( had "Ryzen 3000 series ready" on it, as well as a card inside saying it again)
Storage - 1tb SN550 WD Blue NVME SSD
PSU - PowerSpec 750w Semi-Modular 80+ Gold

Games tested;
Among Us, Minecraft, Hearts of Iron IV, GTA V, CS:GO, Planet Coaster. All have the same issue.

Last edited:
Solution
You have good advice in all the posts above, also there have been 6 bios revisions since the 1201 version bios that the board likely shipped with.

You should update to the latest.

I do have to question the choice of board a little when you're running around $1k worth of components, I'm fairly certain it should cope but it's a fairly low end budget board and I personally wouldn't have used it for anything above a ryzen 5.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Recently, i built a new computer (Specs below). This is my 4th time building, and I have a perfect track record, except for my most recent, (and most expensive) PC.
Everything works absolutely fine except for the Ryzen 7 3700x. Under any stress test, it hits 100% usage on all cores , and temps hovers around the low 70s.
But, in any game, at all, the CPU will only work at 8%-15%, and only a few cores will be active. I would understand this, if maybe it was paired with a GTX 950, but its matched up with an RTX 2070 Super.
Furthermore, the CPU won't turn off and will constantly ramp up, and ramp down, ramp up, ramp down. The usage and temperature charts in MSi Afterburner look like sinewaves.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - EVGA XC ULTRA RTX 2070 Super
RAM - 2x8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600
MOBO - ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM ( had "Ryzen 3000 series ready" on it, as well as a card inside saying it again)
Storage - 1tb SN550 WD Blue NVME SSD
PSU - PowerSpec 750w Semi-Modular 80+ Gold

Games tested;
Among Us, Minecraft, Hearts of Iron IV, GTA V, CS:GO, Planet Coaster. All have the same issue.

are your frames low in game?

If performance in games is expected, CPU utilization is kind of moot point. A lot of games can't use more than 4-6 threads on average and games designed for lower-end PCs may only use 2-3 at most. Out of 16 threads the CPU can run, this makes it look like the CPU is hardly being used.

The temperature you see is also a quirk with Ryzen. It'll report the hottest core in the CPU and it has an aggressive boost trigger. If any core gets something to do, the CPU will boost to the highest it can go, which causes a spike in temperature.

You have good advice in all the posts above, also there have been 6 bios revisions since the 1201 version bios that the board likely shipped with.

You should update to the latest.

I do have to question the choice of board a little when you're running around $1k worth of components, I'm fairly certain it should cope but it's a fairly low end budget board and I personally wouldn't have used it for anything above a ryzen 5.

Solution

JupiterJack

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Reactions: kurdtnz
You will notice a huge difference when you swap the coolers.
I have a 3700x and the stock cooler is fine. It’s noisy and runs hotter which limits boost but the difference is not huge, maybe 5-10% in benchmarks. I have upgraded to a 360mm AIO as I got it for the same price as a 240mm. The main benefit from this upgrade was it’s now silent, performance boost is minimal.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I have a 3700x and the stock cooler is fine. It’s noisy and runs hotter which limits boost but the difference is not huge, maybe 5-10% in benchmarks. I have upgraded to a 360mm AIO as I got it for the same price as a 240mm. The main benefit from this upgrade was it’s now silent, performance boost is minimal.
I was referring to the ramping up and down/noise issue.