[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700X Running hot

Jun 4, 2021
So I finally got all my parts after saving for a long time and went to start benchmarking after I built my system, I'll post my full spec list down below. Anyway the GPU runs with no problems and maintains an average of 60c under full load with max settings on Heaven benchmark. Its a 3060 so no surprise there. However when I went to benchmark and stress test my CPU using cinebench r23 my cpu under all core testing had a maximum temperature of 94.8 and an average of 85.6c which is just too hot for me. Anything over 75 is pushing it. It was at base clock of 3.6 mhz which is stock for this cpu. I am using the stock cooler which doesn't work well enough when overclocking but when you're just stress testing at base speeds it shouldn't be any problem right? at least that's what Ive heard in almost all the reviews Ive seen. In the future i am going to overclock but I'm upgrading to an aio cooler in a few months when Ive saved some more money. Ive looked all over online where it says to upgrade your Mobo's bios which I have and that the auto settings for voltages and clock speeds are too high but if I do any custom tuning with speeds or voltages the pc will immediately shut down when put under any stress because it hits temps of 105+. I have a theory it might be the thermal paste that came with the cooler so I want to buy some high quality aftermarket thermal paste tomorrow and see if that helps at all but I am stumped as to why it would run this hot. Ive seen people with the same cpu and cooler run cinebench and get a max temp of 68c with all the same settings so what gives? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x with stock rgb wraith prism cooler
EVGA RTX 3060 XC
16 GB ddr4 ram 2666mhz
Gigabyte B550 DS3H
EVGA 500w power supply
Reddragon RGB case fans

My user benchmark score was:
UserBenchmarks: Game 81%, Desk 81%, Work 80%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 81.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 - 100.4%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 92.1%
RAM: Unknown 8GBF1X08LFHH35-12-K 2x8GB - 68.6%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550M DS3H

Solution
So quick update for y'all, I took out the cooler and upon looking at the thermal paste, there was little to no spread on it....

It's desired to have only enough to fill in the micro-valleys in the surface roughness of the CPU heat spreader and the cooler. So 'little to no' is just what's desired so long as it's spread over the entire surface. Don't over apply, more is not better. Although, with modern TIM's it's not nearly as bad is it used to be.

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Got a model or link for that chassis? As you've stated people with the same CPU, do they own the same case as you? Same ambient room air temps as you? How old is that PSU in your build? Model for your EVGA unit? You should ideally be on a 650W PSU for the entire system, if barely you should have a 550W unit that's reliably built, you're underpowered for that build. EVGA unit's tend to have hit or miss units even in their top tier lineups, so I tend to look at them with squint eyes.

Jun 4, 2021
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Got a model or link for that chassis? As you've stated people with the same CPU, do they own the same case as you? Same ambient room air temps as you? How old is that PSU in your build? Model for your EVGA unit? You should ideally be on a 650W PSU for the entire system, if barely you should have a 550W unit that's reliably built, you're underpowered for that build. EVGA unit's tend to have hit or miss units even in their top tier lineups, so I tend to look at them with squint eyes.

Im using the Fractal Design Focus G, in a room in the basement with an average of around 60 f. The power supply is a hand me down from a friend of mine and im not sure how old it is, I plan on upgrading to a Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold power supply pretty soon here though so if power is the problem that should solve it

Whatever you see online, the stock cooler IS the weak point.
And that is counting the fact that your CPU probably does not work at his max capacity as is slowed by the 2666 MHz RAM (which with this CPU should be at least 3200 MT/s)

So I finally got all my parts after saving for a long time and went to start benchmarking after I built my system, I'll post my full spec list down below. Anyway the GPU runs with no problems and maintains an average of 60c under full load with max settings on Heaven benchmark. Its a 3060 so no surprise there. However when I went to benchmark and stress test my CPU using cinebench r23 my cpu under all core testing had a maximum temperature of 94.8 and an average of 85.6c which is just too hot for me. Anything over 75 is pushing it. It was at base clock of 3.6 mhz which is stock for this cpu. I am using the stock cooler which doesn't work well enough when overclocking but when you're just stress testing at base speeds it shouldn't be any problem right? at least that's what Ive heard in almost all the reviews Ive seen. In the future i am going to overclock but I'm upgrading to an aio cooler in a few months when Ive saved some more money. Ive looked all over online where it says to upgrade your Mobo's bios which I have and that the auto settings for voltages and clock speeds are too high but if I do any custom tuning with speeds or voltages the pc will immediately shut down when put under any stress because it hits temps of 105+. I have a theory it might be the thermal paste that came with the cooler so I want to buy some high quality aftermarket thermal paste tomorrow and see if that helps at all but I am stumped as to why it would run this hot. Ive seen people with the same cpu and cooler run cinebench and get a max temp of 68c with all the same settings so what gives? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
EVGA RTX 3060 XC
16 GB ddr4 ram 2666mhz
Gigabyte B550 DS3H
EVGA 500w power supply
Reddragon RGB case fans

For optimum boost performance, 3000 series Ryzen temperature should be between 65 and 70c, above that boost gets limited. In my experience, for every degree above 70c, boost looses between 50 and 100 MHz. If one wants maximum for their money out 3000 and earlier Ryzen, good cooling is best investment.

When I ran my 3700X with the stock cooler it wasn't unusual to see temperatures in the upper 70s lower 80s when doing some benchmarks. Picked up an aftermarket cooler and now it hovers around mid 60s. Also while you may not be comfortable at all at 75+, AMD rates the processor's maximum temperature at 95C.

In any case, you're not going to get what you want on a stock cooler unless you move to Antarctica.

Jun 4, 2021

Specs:
EVGA RTX 3060 XC
16 GB ddr4 ram 2666mhz
Gigabyte B550 DS3H
EVGA 500w power supply
Reddragon RGB case fans

So quick update for y'all, I took out the cooler and upon looking at the thermal paste, there was little to no spread on it so there was not much cooling going on, I reapplied some more paste after taking off the old stuff and remounted the cooler and my max temp went form 95 to 80 so I am quite satisfied. I am still going upgrade to upgrade to an aio however later down the road which should help as well. Thanks for all your help

So quick update for y'all, I took out the cooler and upon looking at the thermal paste, there was little to no spread on it....

It's desired to have only enough to fill in the micro-valleys in the surface roughness of the CPU heat spreader and the cooler. So 'little to no' is just what's desired so long as it's spread over the entire surface. Don't over apply, more is not better. Although, with modern TIM's it's not nearly as bad is it used to be.

Solution