[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x, ryzen 7 3800x, or ryzen 9 3900x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Obsnacks

Reputable
BANNED
Sep 21, 2019
What cpu should i choose i want something that will last many years thats why is was leaning towards the 3900x but i don't know because it bottlenecks any gpu on the market

Solution
Yes, the 3900x is priced lower than the new cpu. That's normal with new releases.

The leaked 5600x beats the 3900x in single threaded performance, will be interesting to see how the 5800x compares.

I run a 3800x and have no issues with running out of cores. The 3900x is recommended with heavy multi-threaded workloads. The 3900x offer little to no benefit for gaming over a 3700x.

The 3900x has a higher TDP and will require very good cooling compared to the 5800x. The 3900x comes with the Wraith Prism but it is not capable of preventing thermal throttling. You'll be buying a cooler with either choice but the lower TDP of the 5800x won't require as much cooling capacity as the 3900x.

Yes, the 5800x is going to be more expensive. But...
Oct 29, 2020
High refresh rates on low resolutions are more cpu dependent, whereas higher resolutions on lower refresh rates require more gpu power. Just like how everyone else is saying, I highly suggest doing a bios update and snagging the 5600x or 5800x, as they are all 6+ cores with fantastic speeds, ipc, and low latency. I might even recommend the 5600x, I've never heard of a game where "6 cores with multithreading isn't enough" and the single core benchmarks are very promising.
I would take into account the different prices of the 5600x and 5800x, relay that to how they impact your budget while considering the performance difference, and pick one accordingly.
If you HAVE to get a Zen 2 chip instead of Zen 3, I'd actually suggest the 3800xt. The price is often high, but it dips every now and then. A couple tech outlets on youtube did testing and concluded that this chip had the best single core speeds out of the other Zen 2 chips, ultimately leading to the best fps on your 1080p 240hz monitor.

While it sucks that the 5000-series are ludicrously expensive to get into, the fact remains that given the same price...
Not really 'ludicrously' expensive... just more expensive than we're used to from AMD. The power consumption is also amazing if you avoid the false lure of overclocking. A 5600, which handily performs as well as a 3800XT even in multi-thread productivity tasks, will run like a top on my B450. Making it pointless to upgrade...which is probably a blessing in disquise as by the time in 2021 when BIOS is available the prices may have started to drop.