[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x temperature fluctuating a lot

AlexPark7102

Honorable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi, so I have a ryzen 7 3700x being cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 and the temperature seems to be fluctuating quite a lot. I previously had a cheap liquid cooler that packed up on me, so I decided to upgrade to the NH-D15, which at first seemed fine, however now even at idle, the CPU temp will fluctuate between 30-55 celsius. I know these temps are safe and all but I was just wondering whether it was weird that the temps fluctuate so much (so quickly aswell) while the PC is at idle. Its also quite annoying because my case fans will start screaming and it sounds like my PC is about to take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

(Also my CPU isn't overclocked)

Specs:
AMD ryzen 7 3700x

Nvidia RTX 2080 super

16 GB DDR4 ram

Corsair CV 750 PSU

3x fractal design prisma AL-12 fans as front intakes

1x noctua NF-A12x25 exhaust fan

noctua NH-D15 chromax black CPU cooler

Fractal Design meshify C case

Solution
It's normal, if not integral to system operation. To stop that practically means killing the OS... or you know, just don't look at those fluctuations?
Liquid coolers have a larger volume of fluid in them than air coolers do, such that it takes longer for them to 'soak'. At the same time, it takes longer for them to cool down compared to air coolers.

Sounds like you just need to adjust fan curves for all fans so it doesn't happen. Find a balance between performance and what your ears can tolerate; a 'flatter' curve is easier on your ears than one that constantly changes, even if the flat one runs at higher rpm.
Here's an example of a curve for some of my fans through my bios' advanced mode:
Minimum cpu temperature: 35C
Minimum fan...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's normal, if not integral to system operation. To stop that practically means killing the OS... or you know, just don't look at those fluctuations?
Liquid coolers have a larger volume of fluid in them than air coolers do, such that it takes longer for them to 'soak'. At the same time, it takes longer for them to cool down compared to air coolers.

Sounds like you just need to adjust fan curves for all fans so it doesn't happen. Find a balance between performance and what your ears can tolerate; a 'flatter' curve is easier on your ears than one that constantly changes, even if the flat one runs at higher rpm.
Here's an example of a curve for some of my fans through my bios' advanced mode:
Minimum cpu temperature: 35C
Minimum fan speed: 70%
Medium cpu temperature: 55C
Medium fan speed: 70%
Max cpu temperature: 75C(my board won't let me set this value any higher)
Max fan speed: 100%
Just take it as a reference - you don't have to follow it to a T. With the curve I've posted, those fans pretty much stay running at 70%, except during Cinebench R23 and such.

Solution
Hi, so I have a ryzen 7 3700x being cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 and the temperature seems to be fluctuating quite a lot. I previously had a cheap liquid cooler that packed up on me, so I decided to upgrade to the NH-D15, which at first seemed fine, however now even at idle, the CPU temp will fluctuate between 30-55 celsius. I know these temps are safe and all but I was just wondering whether it was weird that the temps fluctuate so much (so quickly aswell) while the PC is at idle. Its also quite annoying because my case fans will start screaming and it sounds like my PC is about to take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

(Also my CPU isn't overclocked)

Specs:
AMD ryzen 7 3700x

Nvidia RTX 2080 super

16 GB DDR4 ram

Corsair CV 750 PSU

3x fractal design prisma AL-12 fans as front intakes

1x noctua NF-A12x25 exhaust fan

noctua NH-D15 chromax black CPU cooler

Fractal Design meshify C case
It's normal as temperature fluctuates with load. no matter which cooler it takes some time for heat transfer heat from core to a cooler, for cooler to soak up heat and fans to disperse it.
For frequency to change it has to be have varying loads so it's not true and continous idle.