Ryzen 7 3700X Throttling Issues While Playing a Game.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I just started up my computer today and another issue has arise. I notice my Clock speed is roaming around 3.8GHZ and 3.9GHZ then the normal 4.2GHZ ~ resulting in lower performance.

I pretty sure there nothing wrong with my computer parts...only looking at the Processor as the issue along repeated bios updates and chipset updates and recent windows update.

There any fix to this throttling issue ?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The easiest way to lower the temps (and limit throttling) would be to run the PC in an air-conditioned room with the temp set around 21 to 23c.
If your room temperature is too high, you will not be able to adequately cool the CPU because your fans/AIO will be using warm air/fluid instead of cool air/fluid.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you never stated your cpu temps. If the preocessor isn't exceeding 75c (according to the latest bios issue regarding @rgd1101 link above) then your processor isn't throttling. I doubt games above can load the 3700x enough to reach 75c, unless your using an incorrectly installed stock cooler or as mentioned before, ambient temperatures are unreasonable in combination to poor air flow. Please list your gaming temps by using msi afterburner.

I just started up my computer today and another issue has arise. I notice my Clock speed is roaming around 3.8GHZ and 3.9GHZ then the normal 4.2GHZ ~ resulting in lower performance.

How did you determine it lowered performance? Are you assuming it because you're suddenly seeing different clocks?

You might try running a benchmark and comparing. Cinebench 20 is really common so you should find a lot of others' scores to compare performance to. I've run timed Handbrake encodes of a long movie to compare performance on my system, but that's not really something I can compare to others'.