[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x underperforming while gaming?

Mar 15, 2021
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM, a 3060ti, and an M.2 SSD. My friend has the same CPU, but only a 2070 Super for his GPU. He is getting an average of 30-50 fps better than I am, and his CPU usage is the same as mine. My CPU usage while playing Fortnite (as an example) is only around 30-40%, and not a single thread is maxed out. My gpu usage on unlimited FPS is only around 50-60%, and I am getting severe stuttering and overall bad performance. XMP is enabled, and my temps on CPU and GPU never exceed 65. My Unigine Heaven benchmark score on 1080p extreme was around 3600, and my Cinebench score was around 12600. Does anyone know why my performance is a lot worse than my friend's and every YouTube video with the same specs?

Solution
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM, a 3060ti, and an M.2 SSD. My friend has the same CPU, but only a 2070 Super for his GPU. He is getting an average of 30-50 fps better than I am, and his CPU usage is the same as mine. My CPU usage while playing Fortnite (as an example) is only around 30-40%, and not a single thread is maxed out. My gpu usage on unlimited FPS is only around 50-60%, and I am getting severe stuttering and overall bad performance. XMP is enabled, and my temps on CPU and GPU never exceed 65. My Unigine Heaven benchmark score on 1080p extreme was around 3600, and my Cinebench score was around 12600. Does anyone know why my performance is a lot worse than my friend's and every YouTube video with the same specs...
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM, a 3060ti, and an M.2 SSD. My friend has the same CPU, but only a 2070 Super for his GPU. He is getting an average of 30-50 fps better than I am, and his CPU usage is the same as mine. My CPU usage while playing Fortnite (as an example) is only around 30-40%, and not a single thread is maxed out. My gpu usage on unlimited FPS is only around 50-60%, and I am getting severe stuttering and overall bad performance. XMP is enabled, and my temps on CPU and GPU never exceed 65. My Unigine Heaven benchmark score on 1080p extreme was around 3600, and my Cinebench score was around 12600. Does anyone know why my performance is a lot worse than my friend's and every YouTube video with the same specs?
Some suggestions:

Check for bloatware and trashware that's been installed. Especially things like utilities you got from the motherboard or other peripheral mfr.'s; that often includes keyboard and mouse utilities. RGB utilities (all of them) should be uninstalled once you've configured your theme. Also uninstall drivers that came with your video card and install only ones you get from Nvidia.

Same with motherboard chipset drivers; uninstall the ones you got with the motherboard or from their site (they often come with bloatware/scamware/trashware) and get the latest ones from AMD support site.

Also make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date. Last is to reset CMOS especially if you've never done it since you built the system. After resetting CMOS then see how it games before attempting any other changes. Start with just enabling XMP and you could probably leave it at that.

Once you've cleaned up your system then check gaming performance. ONLY consider installing utilities that are absolutely needed for gaming. If you've got some keyboard or mouse utilities you have to consider whether they really help the game or just make a bunch of colored lights flash. It's your choice which is more important.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 15, 2021
Some suggestions:

Check for bloatware and trashware that's been installed. Especially things like utilities you got from the motherboard or other peripheral mfr.'s; that often includes keyboard and mouse utilities. RGB utilities (all of them) should be uninstalled once you've configured your theme. Also uninstall drivers that came with your video card and install only ones you get from Nvidia.

Same with motherboard chipset drivers; uninstall the ones you got with the motherboard or from their site (they often come with bloatware/scamware/trashware) and get the latest ones from AMD support site.

Also make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date. Last is to reset CMOS especially if you've never done it since you built the system. After resetting CMOS then see how it games before attempting any other changes. Start with just enabling XMP and you could probably leave it at that.

Once you've cleaned up your system then check gaming performance. ONLY consider installing utilities that are absolutely needed for gaming. If you've got some keyboard or mouse utilities you have to consider whether they really help the game or just make a bunch of colored lights flash. It's your choice which is more important.
Would I find those in the Appwiz program?