[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x

Nov 15, 2020
I have recently installed Ryzen 7 3700x and my temp seems to be quite high. When I turn my pc on, it averages around 50-65 Celsius, and when gaming averages around 70-85 degrees sometimes going above 90. I am pretty sure this is not normal and need help.

Solution
Right I will go into BIOS settings and adjust the graph manually. I think If I apply new thermal paste and reseat the cooler it will possibly improve. However if I adjust the graph and it doesn't affect the temp in anyway, is it best to leave the PC and wait, or is it safe to game? I would think it isn't safe to game.
Don't bother with 'reseating' the cooler, your temperature is pretty much normal for a Ryzen. The temp-curve in BIOS is the fan profile settings and doesn't directly affect processor temperature, only how fast the fans will spin with temperature in a (mostly vain) attempt to cool it off.

Ultimately, the stock cooler is just barely adequate and will scream like a banshee when you turn it up. A 3700X really needs...
The cooler is a wraith prism, it came with the Ryzen 7. I will find out what case I have. What do you mean by fan curve?
Your motherboard should have software that allows you to change how fast the cpu runs at each temperature. It’s usually a graph and has a curve where at lower temperatures it doesn’t change much but at higher temperatures the fan increases much more with each 1c increase. You can modify the curve so the fan runs faster at lower temperatures, this may help prevent peaks to such high temperatures.

The stock fan is not that great, if you have poor case airflow that can significantly impact cooling performance. It may also be a good idea to try reseating the cooler but you should clean off the thermal paste and apply new when you do this.

Nov 15, 2020
Right I will go into BIOS settings and adjust the graph manually. I think If I apply new thermal paste and reseat the cooler it will possibly improve. However if I adjust the graph and it doesn't affect the temp in anyway, is it best to leave the PC and wait, or is it safe to game? I would think it isn't safe to game.

Don't bother with 'reseating' the cooler, your temperature is pretty much normal for a Ryzen. The temp-curve in BIOS is the fan profile settings and doesn't directly affect processor temperature, only how fast the fans will spin with temperature in a (mostly vain) attempt to cool it off.

Ultimately, the stock cooler is just barely adequate and will scream like a banshee when you turn it up. A 3700X really needs a large aftermarket air cooler or a 240mm AIO to work well. Also, understand that Ryzen boosts aggressively to max clocks even at idle and that will spike temperature when it does. It's the way Ryzen works, so expect temp spikes going up to to mid 60's at idle on stock cooler, that will pulse the fans if you don't use a fan profile that ignores them.

When pushed hard 3700X temps will go up to the mid-80's, or even higher if case air flow is poor or you don't want to hear the stock cooler fan screaming. Even with a good air cooler or AIO it might get that high but the fans will be a lot more tolerable, at least, if you adjust them right. Tjmax is 95C so you can feel safe with temps going up to about 90C.

The temp spikes aren't really significant thermally speaking so get a proper monitoring utility...Hwinfo64 is best...to monitor the average temperature which is the true thermal state of the processor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Countess_C
Solution
I agree the stock cooler is barely sufficient. However I ran my 3700x for a couple of weeks on this cooler and it peaked under Cinebench at 82-83c but that’s after modifying the fan curve. It did sound like an airliner on take off and I have reasonably good case airflow. The reseating was a bit of a last resort suggestion to try and bring the temps down encase there was poor contact. Ultimately the best solution is a better cooler.

Ultimately, the stock cooler is just barely adequate and will scream like a banshee when you turn it up.
-agree. Stock cooler is good enough to run 3700X within safe temperature range. But these temps will be on high side and yes, fan will be loud (depends on how sensitive you are).

A 3700X really needs a large aftermarket air cooler or a 240mm AIO to work well.
-kindly disagree. I had 3700X and it runs just fine with any decent 50+US$ air cooler, i.e. Scythe Mugen 5. I mean, it's only 65W TDP CPU. I used beQuiet Dark Rock Slim by having avg 34°C idle temp and never exceeded 74°C on full load. Needless to say , it was just quiet.

Sometimes I'm surprised how often AIO (water) cooling is suggested in forums -without an apparent reason. My opinion? Using water cooling on up to (estimated) 120W TDP CPU is pure waste of money -unless one just need that "cool look".

Reactions: Countess_C
-kindly disagree. I had 3700X and it runs just fine with any decent 50+US$ air cooler, i.e. Scythe Mugen 5. ...

That's actually quite 'large' compared to the stock cooler!

It doesn't have to be a Noctua...just something that fits one or two 120MM fans so they don't have to turn at scream-speed when cooling it. But it does reward with better performance using an even larger and more capable cooler that can keep temps in the mid-70's under heavy processing as the CPU won't pull back on clocks nearly so much. Don't be misled by essentially meaningless TDP ratings, the way the Ryzen boost algorithm works it's almost like overclocking when cooling it well enough.

It's especially benefitial...almost essential, actually, for getting the performance uplift you're looking for when using PBO which makes the CPU run a lot hotter. I have a 240mm AIO on my 3700x and it works a charm for just that reason....it's PBO'd and the fans barely turn even while encoding videos for 3 hours solid, keeping temps in the mid-upper 70's all the time.

Last edited:
@ drea.drechsler
-agree completely. And yes, "decent" 50$ coolers look quite huge compared to stock cooler :) -even AMD stock coolers aren't really "that bad" (compared to Intel stock coolers).
What I was trying to say is, it doesn't need to be expensive to get good temperatures and to enjoy silence.