Question Ryzen 7 3800x dropping to one core randomly (PLEASE HELP)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
This is an odd issue, couldn't quite find any issues 100% similar to this so I figured I'd put a post in here.

WHAT HAPPENED: I recently upgraded my build from Intel to Ryzen, installing a Ryzen 7 3800x and an ASUS TUF GAMING x570-plus (wi-fi), which was an upgrade from a measly i7-7700k and an ASRock z270 Taichi. The performance boost has been immense, and there have been no issues with windows following the upgrade. (I did not do a clean install, but multiple people have told me there wouldn't be any issues following the upgrade if I didn't clean install. I've had the new parts in for about a week and windows has been operating smoothly without any problems.)

THE ISSUE: Following the upgrade, the computer will run very smoothly with increased performance for anywhere between an hour to ten hours of uptime before the computer begins stuttering, with the freezes lasting half a second and occurring every second or so with perfect rhythm. Most of the time the stutters will last for about 5 seconds before quickly stopping (as if someone flicks off a switch), and the computer will resume completely normal operation with no changes in performance (FPS will idle at 120-144 in heavily modded Skyrim SE with dozens of visual mods, previously running at 80~ FPS on average). Other times the stutters will last indefinitely until I shut the computer down. Shutting the computer down using the "Shut Down" option (or restart) in Windows will lead to a shutdown loop that eventually leads to a blue screen with an error code stating "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". The only way to avoid this blue screen is by holding down the power button. Turning the computer on after this blue screen/forced shutdown will always lead to a completely stable system, and no errors are mentioned in the event viewer (aside from a critical error from shutting the computer down holding the power button.) What's odd is that, aside from these weird stutters that occasionally occur, the system runs with 100% stability, even when running intensive benchmarks on CPU, GPU, and RAM using BurnIn Test (the tests are all run with 100% intensity for 15 minutes, returning with zero errors across all fronts and a complete passing score)

WHAT I KNOW: During these stuttering events, the MHz read on each core on Task Manager and on Ryzen Master will drop from 3000-4000 (during games, moderate load) to around 500 on all cores EXCEPT for the 0th core (More specifically, all threads except for thread 0 (more MORE specifically, the 1st thread (of 16) on the 1st core(of 8)) which seems to run at a normal capacity. It doesn't seem to make up for the lost difference by working harder, it just seems to keep working as if the other cores didn't just drop to below idle speeds. I don't have any images of this, but the stats will read like this:

Pre-stutter (Under load):
Core 0: 4000~
Core 1: 4000~
Core 2: 4000~
Core 3: 4000~
Core 4: 4000~
Core 5: 4000~
Core 6: 4000~
Core 7: 4000~

During stutters:
Core 0: 4000~
Core 1: 500~
Core 2: 500~
Core 3: 500~
Core 4: 500~
Core 5: 500~
Core 6: 500~
Core 7: 500~

TO SPECIFY: I have completely ruled out CPU Temperature as the culprit, as the CPU temperature will hardly ever reach past 62C even under heavy load. (This CPU cooler is absolutely WACKY, snag yourself one if you don't have one)

SPECS:
Ryzen 7 3800x CPU (Purchased in April of 2020)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 AIR COOLER (Purchased in April of 2020)
32 Gigs (2 x 16) 2400 Ripjaw RAM (Purchased in December of 2018)
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 (Purchased in December of 2019)
ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PLUS (wi-fi) (Purchased in April of 2020)
2TB M.2 NVMe Drive (Purchased in mid-2019)
RM850x Corsair Power Supply (purchased in December of 2016)

POWER SITUATION:
All cords are seated firmly, I have made sure of this. The motherboard can have two CPU cables plugged in at the same time (One 8-pin and one 4-pin), which are both populated. The GPU can have two PCIe cables plugged in (Two 8-pin), and both are populated. I have doubts that this is a power issue, but I will not rule this out just in case I'm wrong (Not unlikely that I'm wrong).

THEORIES:
-Power supply might be dying. Very doubtful of this however, as it will run perfectly fine for anywhere up to 9 hours of uptime with no issues, though I have not dusted it out in a while. Dust could be an issue?
-A BIOS setting could be the culprit. I have turned off C-STATE in the BIOS in case it was shutting cores off unwarranted, but I only recently did this, so it's unknown if this could fix it.
-Overclocking, but this is very likely NOT the problem, as I have all overclocking turned off MINUS ASUS' built in OC profile in the BIOS, which has been running INCREDIBLY smoothly thus far. (In fact, it's been running better than my other more basic overclocks with ASTOUNDING results. Not bad, ASUS...)
-RAM? It IS 2400MHz, but I'm unsure if this is a bottleneck issue caused by it. Turning on AMD's XMP (DOCP) seems to make the stutters occur quicker, but this may be placebo. I cannot currently afford to upgrade my RAM, but 32 gigs seems like it should be enough for this build anywho. High intensity RAM and CPU benchmarks run in unison come up with zero errors and 100% efficiency (will go up to 17 trillion-14 trillion operations performed and succeeded REGARDLESS of whether they were run separately or at the same time.)

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
-I have run "sfc /scannow" in an administrator command prompt, it came back with corrupt files and fixed them promptly. Following scans came up with clean results.
-I have High Performance turned on, with settings set to keep everything running optimally with no idle shutoff timers.
-I turned off C-STATE in the BIOS.
-I've set my RAM to 2400MHz in the bios, and ASUS' OC profile has set the CPU voltage and base GHz to very stable, respectable levels (Base clock is set to 4.20GHz, and the max boost clock for this specific CPU is 4.50GHz)
-I've enabled DOCP. (REFER TO THEORIES)

I will edit this if I realize that I have forgotten any info, or if I make any attempts to fix this that are successful or unsuccessful. Subsequent edits will go beneath this line:

Last edited:

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
If it does not work try disabling Fast Boot. They tried that on the AMD thread.
Following the Chipset driver update, minor stuttering (lasting only a second or so) is persisting every hour or so, but major stuttering (which requires a restart to fix) has not occurred yet. Fast Boot has been disabled in Windows, and I THINK I disabled it in the BIOS. I may have reverted it when defaulting to factory new BIOS settings, will try that shortly.

zx128k

Reputable
Following the Chipset driver update, minor stuttering (lasting only a second or so) is persisting every hour or so, but major stuttering (which requires a restart to fix) has not occurred yet. Fast Boot has been disabled in Windows, and I THINK I disabled it in the BIOS. I may have reverted it when defaulting to factory new BIOS settings, will try that shortly.

Stuttering can be a RAM or IF issue. Also software programs can cause your PC to lock up.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Stuttering can be a RAM or IF issue. Also software programs can cause your PC to lock up.
So far, the only software programs I'm running are Discord, Telegram, RTX Voice, and Logitech GHub. I also run Wallpaper Engine in the background. I'm planning on upgrading my RAM to two sticks of 3200 16x2 Ripjaw RAM sometime soon.

zx128k

Reputable
So far, the only software programs I'm running are Discord, Telegram, RTX Voice, and Logitech GHub. I also run Wallpaper Engine in the background. I'm planning on upgrading my RAM to two sticks of 3200 16x2 Ripjaw RAM sometime soon.

You posted that you believe that the shutters were down to the CPU dropping to its lowest p-state. I think its around 500MHz. I would get that fixed first.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This error occurs if drivers do not handle power state transition requests properly, usually during one of the following procedures: shut down, suspending or resuming from standby, suspending or resuming from hibernation.

I would do a reset and install those new drivers. 2400MT/s RAM is too slow.

Good Ryzen 3000 series memory is Samsung b-die. Examples below.
Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Performance Memory Kit - PVS416G440C9K if you don't mind RAM tuning. amazon amazon USA

or

8-pack Team Group Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black if all you want to do is plug the RAM into the board and set xmp. I am using this kit.

overclocker.co.uk

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
You posted that you believe that the shutters were down to the CPU dropping to its lowest p-state. I think its around 500MHz. I would get that fixed first.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This error occurs if drivers do not handle power state transition requests properly, usually during one of the following procedures: shut down, suspending or resuming from standby, suspending or resuming from hibernation.

I would do a reset and install those new drivers. 2400MT/s RAM is too slow.

Good Ryzen 3000 series memory is Samsung b-die. Examples below.
Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Performance Memory Kit - PVS416G440C9K if you don't mind RAM tuning. amazon amazon USA

or

8-pack Team Group Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black if all you want to do is plug the RAM into the board and set xmp. I am using this kit.

overclocker.co.uk
I already reinstalled windows once, do you just want me to reinstall drivers? If so, which drivers should I install? I already had the newest Chipset drivers and the recommended Chipset drivers for the CPU given to me (via link) by someone from the forum. Should I also install the Motherboard chipset drivers from the Asus site? Also, C-State is shut off, but I would like to know how to prevent my computer from putting my CPU in its lowest P-State, since that's the biggest issue.

Also, the overclocker.co.uk link is blocked for me. I live in the US, so this may be the problem.

zx128k

Reputable
I already reinstalled windows once, do you just want me to reinstall drivers? If so, which drivers should I install? I already had the newest Chipset drivers and the recommended Chipset drivers for the CPU given to me (via link) by someone from the forum. Should I also install the Motherboard chipset drivers from the Asus site? Also, C-State is shut off, but I would like to know how to prevent my computer from putting my CPU in its lowest P-State, since that's the biggest issue.

Also, the overclocker.co.uk link is blocked for me. I live in the US, so this may be the problem.

Install the lastest chipset/motherboard drivers from AMD. The ones on the motherboard website are normally out of date.

Yeah, you’ve probably spent more time troubleshooting than it would have taken to reinstall 🤷🏼‍♂️ No telling how many people come to this forum with crazy problems they can’t figure out, common issue is they upgraded their PC and didn’t reinstall windows.

The actual Win10 install from a USB flash drive installer to an NVME drive takes all of about 4 minutes these days... :) (Ninite helps with a few commonly installed things afterward in one fell swoop, but, it does take a few minutes to download/install chipset and GPU driver packages, and assorted applications.)

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
The actual Win10 install from a USB flash drive installer to an NVME drive takes all of about 4 minutes these days... :) (Ninite helps with a few commonly installed things afterward in one fell swoop, but, it does take a few minutes to download/install chipset and GPU driver packages, and assorted applications.)

I've already reinstalled Windows 10, but the problem is that I have a LOT of irreplaceable data that I had to transfer over following the reinstall. (Close to 650 gigs of it, actually).

I'm fully aware of Ninite and its uses, I always use it for system setups.

I'm fully aware of Ninite and its uses, I always use it for system setups.
Just a thought... but if I understand how Ninite works it builds a comprehensive install package consisting of already installed apps on a working system. To do that, it seem to me it would also be picking up all relevant registry entries, INI files and services that may be needed to enable full functionality in the new installation.

In doing so it could pick up and repeat the settings and services, or combination of settings and services, that are causing the problem you've been experiencing. If so, it may be painful but a clean installation with controlled re-installation of your apps may be the way to sort things out. Testing between each install would help to see if...or when...the problem comes back.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Just a thought... but if I understand how Ninite works it builds a comprehensive install package consisting of already installed apps on a working system. To do that, it seem to me it would also be picking up all relevant registry entries, INI files and services that may be needed to enable full functionality in the new installation.

In doing so it could pick up and repeat the settings and services, or combination of settings and services, that are causing the problem you've been experiencing. If so, it may be painful but a clean installation with controlled re-installation of your apps may be the way to sort things out. Testing between each install would help to see if...or when...the problem comes back.

I could do another full clean install, but that would be a huge time sink. I'm thinking it could be driver based due to the "driver power state failure" BSODs I've been getting whenever the stuttering starts and a restart/shutdown is attempted. The problem is, I'm not sure how to check for faulty/wrong drivers...

I could look into the Ninite situation though, might find some other related issues to it if I look around online.