Question Ryzen 7 3800x dropping to one core randomly (PLEASE HELP)

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
This is an odd issue, couldn't quite find any issues 100% similar to this so I figured I'd put a post in here.

WHAT HAPPENED: I recently upgraded my build from Intel to Ryzen, installing a Ryzen 7 3800x and an ASUS TUF GAMING x570-plus (wi-fi), which was an upgrade from a measly i7-7700k and an ASRock z270 Taichi. The performance boost has been immense, and there have been no issues with windows following the upgrade. (I did not do a clean install, but multiple people have told me there wouldn't be any issues following the upgrade if I didn't clean install. I've had the new parts in for about a week and windows has been operating smoothly without any problems.)

THE ISSUE: Following the upgrade, the computer will run very smoothly with increased performance for anywhere between an hour to ten hours of uptime before the computer begins stuttering, with the freezes lasting half a second and occurring every second or so with perfect rhythm. Most of the time the stutters will last for about 5 seconds before quickly stopping (as if someone flicks off a switch), and the computer will resume completely normal operation with no changes in performance (FPS will idle at 120-144 in heavily modded Skyrim SE with dozens of visual mods, previously running at 80~ FPS on average). Other times the stutters will last indefinitely until I shut the computer down. Shutting the computer down using the "Shut Down" option (or restart) in Windows will lead to a shutdown loop that eventually leads to a blue screen with an error code stating "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". The only way to avoid this blue screen is by holding down the power button. Turning the computer on after this blue screen/forced shutdown will always lead to a completely stable system, and no errors are mentioned in the event viewer (aside from a critical error from shutting the computer down holding the power button.) What's odd is that, aside from these weird stutters that occasionally occur, the system runs with 100% stability, even when running intensive benchmarks on CPU, GPU, and RAM using BurnIn Test (the tests are all run with 100% intensity for 15 minutes, returning with zero errors across all fronts and a complete passing score)

WHAT I KNOW: During these stuttering events, the MHz read on each core on Task Manager and on Ryzen Master will drop from 3000-4000 (during games, moderate load) to around 500 on all cores EXCEPT for the 0th core (More specifically, all threads except for thread 0 (more MORE specifically, the 1st thread (of 16) on the 1st core(of 8)) which seems to run at a normal capacity. It doesn't seem to make up for the lost difference by working harder, it just seems to keep working as if the other cores didn't just drop to below idle speeds. I don't have any images of this, but the stats will read like this:

Pre-stutter (Under load):
Core 0: 4000~
Core 1: 4000~
Core 2: 4000~
Core 3: 4000~
Core 4: 4000~
Core 5: 4000~
Core 6: 4000~
Core 7: 4000~

During stutters:
Core 1: 500~
Core 2: 500~
Core 3: 500~
Core 4: 500~
Core 5: 500~
Core 6: 500~
Core 7: 500~

TO SPECIFY: I have completely ruled out CPU Temperature as the culprit, as the CPU temperature will hardly ever reach past 62C even under heavy load. (This CPU cooler is absolutely WACKY, snag yourself one if you don't have one)

SPECS:
Ryzen 7 3800x CPU (Purchased in April of 2020)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 AIR COOLER (Purchased in April of 2020)
32 Gigs (2 x 16) 2400 Ripjaw RAM (Purchased in December of 2018)
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 (Purchased in December of 2019)
ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PLUS (wi-fi) (Purchased in April of 2020)
2TB M.2 NVMe Drive (Purchased in mid-2019)
RM850x Corsair Power Supply (purchased in December of 2016)

POWER SITUATION:
All cords are seated firmly, I have made sure of this. The motherboard can have two CPU cables plugged in at the same time (One 8-pin and one 4-pin), which are both populated. The GPU can have two PCIe cables plugged in (Two 8-pin), and both are populated. I have doubts that this is a power issue, but I will not rule this out just in case I'm wrong (Not unlikely that I'm wrong).

THEORIES:
-Power supply might be dying. Very doubtful of this however, as it will run perfectly fine for anywhere up to 9 hours of uptime with no issues, though I have not dusted it out in a while. Dust could be an issue?
-A BIOS setting could be the culprit. I have turned off C-STATE in the BIOS in case it was shutting cores off unwarranted, but I only recently did this, so it's unknown if this could fix it.
-Overclocking, but this is very likely NOT the problem, as I have all overclocking turned off MINUS ASUS' built in OC profile in the BIOS, which has been running INCREDIBLY smoothly thus far. (In fact, it's been running better than my other more basic overclocks with ASTOUNDING results. Not bad, ASUS...)
-RAM? It IS 2400MHz, but I'm unsure if this is a bottleneck issue caused by it. Turning on AMD's XMP (DOCP) seems to make the stutters occur quicker, but this may be placebo. I cannot currently afford to upgrade my RAM, but 32 gigs seems like it should be enough for this build anywho. High intensity RAM and CPU benchmarks run in unison come up with zero errors and 100% efficiency (will go up to 17 trillion-14 trillion operations performed and succeeded REGARDLESS of whether they were run separately or at the same time.)

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
-I have run "sfc /scannow" in an administrator command prompt, it came back with corrupt files and fixed them promptly. Following scans came up with clean results.
-I have High Performance turned on, with settings set to keep everything running optimally with no idle shutoff timers.
-I turned off C-STATE in the BIOS.
-I've set my RAM to 2400MHz in the bios, and ASUS' OC profile has set the CPU voltage and base GHz to very stable, respectable levels (Base clock is set to 4.20GHz, and the max boost clock for this specific CPU is 4.50GHz)
-I've enabled DOCP. (REFER TO THEORIES)

I will edit this if I realize that I have forgotten any info, or if I make any attempts to fix this that are successful or unsuccessful. Subsequent edits will go beneath this line:

Last edited:

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Nuke and pave...!

Then we know you have absolutely fresh chipset drivers, etc...

"I say we take off, and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure..."
Corporal Hicks, Colonial Marines
I'm absolutely up to do this, but as a last resort. I have no problem spending an afternoon redoing all of my personalization and such, but I'd prefer not to if I can. I have considered lingering drivers interfering with new drivers as the issue however. Since I've already done a little bit to try and fix this issue, I'd say I'm not too far off from wiping windows.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
This is an odd issue, couldn't quite find any issues 100% similar to this so I figured I'd put a post in here.

WHAT HAPPENED: I recently upgraded my build from Intel to Ryzen, installing a Ryzen 7 3800x and an ASUS TUF GAMING x570-plus (wi-fi), which was an upgrade from a measly i7-7700k and an ASRock z270 Taichi. The performance boost has been immense, and there have been no issues with windows following the upgrade. (I did not do a clean install, but multiple people have told me there wouldn't be any issues following the upgrade if I didn't clean install. I've had the new parts in for about a week and windows has been operating smoothly without any problems.)

THE ISSUE: Following the upgrade, the computer will run very smoothly with increased performance for anywhere between an hour to ten hours of uptime before the computer begins stuttering, with the freezes lasting half a second and occurring every second or so with perfect rhythm. Most of the time the stutters will last for about 5 seconds before quickly stopping (as if someone flicks off a switch), and the computer will resume completely normal operation with no changes in performance (FPS will idle at 120-144 in heavily modded Skyrim SE with dozens of visual mods, previously running at 80~ FPS on average). Other times the stutters will last indefinitely until I shut the computer down. Shutting the computer down using the "Shut Down" option (or restart) in Windows will lead to a shutdown loop that eventually leads to a blue screen with an error code stating "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". The only way to avoid this blue screen is by holding down the power button. Turning the computer on after this blue screen/forced shutdown will always lead to a completely stable system, and no errors are mentioned in the event viewer (aside from a critical error from shutting the computer down holding the power button.) What's odd is that, aside from these weird stutters that occasionally occur, the system runs with 100% stability, even when running intensive benchmarks on CPU, GPU, and RAM using BurnIn Test (the tests are all run with 100% intensity for 15 minutes, returning with zero errors across all fronts and a complete passing score). These stutters make it nearly impossible to use the computer, and can occur even when idling or under very minor load (browsing the internet with discord open. I use Google Chrome, if that makes any difference, lmao)

WHAT I KNOW: During these stuttering events, the MHz read on each core on Task Manager and on Ryzen Master will drop from 3000-4000 (during games, moderate load) to around 500 on all cores EXCEPT for the 0th core (More specifically, all threads except for thread 0 (more MORE specifically, the 1st thread (of 16) on the 1st core(of 8)) which seems to run at a normal capacity. It doesn't seem to make up for the lost difference by working harder, it just seems to keep working as if the other cores didn't just drop to below idle speeds. I don't have any images of this, but the stats will read like this:

During stutters:

TO SPECIFY: I have completely ruled out CPU Temperature as the culprit, as the CPU temperature will hardly ever reach past 62C even under heavy load. (This CPU cooler is absolutely WACKY, snag yourself one if you don't have one)

SPECS:

POWER SITUATION:
All cords are seated firmly, I have made sure of this. The motherboard can have two CPU cables plugged in at the same time (One 8-pin and one 4-pin), which are both populated. The GPU can have two PCIe cables plugged in (Two 8-pin), and both are populated. I have doubts that this is a power issue, but I will not rule this out just in case I'm wrong (Not unlikely that I'm wrong).

THEORIES:
-Power supply might be dying. Very doubtful of this however, as it will run perfectly fine for anywhere up to 9 hours of uptime with no issues, though I have not dusted it out in a while. Dust could be an issue?
-A BIOS setting could be the culprit. I have turned off C-STATE in the BIOS in case it was shutting cores off unwarranted, but I only recently did this, so it's unknown if this could fix it.
-Overclocking, but this is very likely NOT the problem, as I have all overclocking turned off MINUS ASUS' built in OC profile in the BIOS, which has been running INCREDIBLY smoothly thus far. (In fact, it's been running better than my other more basic overclocks with ASTOUNDING results. Not bad, ASUS...)
-RAM? It IS 2400MHz, but I'm unsure if this is a bottleneck issue caused by it. Turning on AMD's XMP (DOCP) seems to make the stutters occur quicker, but this may be placebo. I cannot currently afford to upgrade my RAM, but 32 gigs seems like it should be enough for this build anywho. High intensity RAM and CPU benchmarks run in unison come up with zero errors and 100% efficiency (will go up to 17 trillion-14 trillion operations performed and succeeded REGARDLESS of whether they were run separately or at the same time.)

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
-I have run "sfc /scannow" in an administrator command prompt, it came back with corrupt files and fixed them promptly. Following scans came up with clean results.
-I have High Performance turned on, with settings set to keep everything running optimally with no idle shutoff timers.
-I've set my RAM to 2400MHz in the bios, and ASUS' OC profile has set the CPU voltage and base GHz to very stable, respectable levels (Base clock is set to 4.20GHz, and the max boost clock for this specific CPU is 4.50GHz)
-Reinstalled Windows
-Ran Memory Diagnostic Test, came up negative for errors

I've considered that lingering drivers may be an issue, and doing a clean wipe and reinstall of Windows 10 can eliminate this possibility or even the problem itself, but reinstalling Windows is a last resort right now. I have no problems wiping and reinstalling Windows, but I'd rather try everything else FIRST before doing this. Considering how much I've tried, there's a good chance this option is not too far from being used.

I will edit this if I realize that I have forgotten any info, or if I make any attempts to fix this that are successful or unsuccessful. Subsequent edits will go beneath this line:

EDIT 1:

Reinstalled Windows 10, no issues with anything UNTIL I installed Steel Series Engine 3 (for my Arctis Pro headset), turns out my computer doesn't seem to like this particular program very much! Installing software for my headset and also uninstalling software lead to stuttering which ceased after the software went away. Will post new updates if stuttering returns.

EDIT 2:
Stuttering does seem to persist, but only under specific conditions, like when installing Logitech G-Hub or when installing software for Steel Series headset.

Last edited:
Your problem is 100% related to not doing a fresh windows Install. Whoever told you that you didn’t need to was WRONG! Windows 10 recognizes every component and installs drivers based on these parts, you install drivers for things as well. Settings are based on the equipment within.

Now if you changed things besides a motherboard, sure. You changed a motherboard and went to a totally different companies platform. Will windows work without a clean install, yes it will work. You will have lingering unexplainable issues without a fresh install. Typically you’ll also have much lower FPS in games.

Reinstall windows!!!!

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Your problem is 100% related to not doing a fresh windows Install. Whoever told you that you didn’t need to was WRONG! Windows 10 recognizes every component and installs drivers based on these parts, you install drivers for things as well. Settings are based on the equipment within.

Now if you changed things besides a motherboard, sure. You changed a motherboard and went to a totally different companies platform. Will windows work without a clean install, yes it will work. You will have lingering unexplainable issues without a fresh install. Typically you’ll also have much lower FPS in games.

Reinstall windows!!!!
Well, dang. Was hoping to avoid it, but I guess there's no harm in spending an afternoon redoing everything. Thanks for the input

Well, dang. Was hoping to avoid it, but I guess there's no harm in spending an afternoon redoing everything. Thanks for the input
Yeah, you’ve probably spent more time troubleshooting than it would have taken to reinstall 🤷🏼‍♂️ No telling how many people come to this forum with crazy problems they can’t figure out, common issue is they upgraded their PC and didn’t reinstall windows.

If this happens only with skyrim you should consider that it's a very single threaded game and that it could be that that's just how the game runs.If it happens with every game than yes go ahead and do a fresh install even if it's just to rule that out as a cause.

THE ISSUE: Following the upgrade, the computer will run very smoothly with increased performance for anywhere between an hour to ten hours of uptime before the computer begins stuttering, with the freezes lasting half a second and occurring every second or so with perfect rhythm. Most of the time the stutters will last for about 5 seconds before quickly stopping (as if someone flicks off a switch), and the computer will resume completely normal operation with no changes in performance (FPS will idle at 120-144 in heavily modded Skyrim SE with dozens of visual mods, previously running at 80~ FPS on average). Other times the stutters will last indefinitely until I shut the computer down. Shutting the computer down using the "Shut Down" option (or restart) in Windows will lead to a shutdown loop that eventually leads to a blue screen with an error code stating "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". The only way to avoid this blue screen is by holding down the power button. Turning the computer on after this blue screen/forced shutdown will always lead to a completely stable system, and no errors are mentioned in the event viewer (aside from a critical error from shutting the computer down holding the power button.) What's odd is that, aside from these weird stutters that occasionally occur, the system runs with 100% stability, even when running intensive benchmarks on CPU, GPU, and RAM using BurnIn Test (the tests are all run with 100% intensity for 15 minutes, returning with zero errors across all fronts and a complete passing score). These stutters make it nearly impossible to use the computer, and can occur even when idling or under very minor load (browsing the internet with discord open. I use Google Chrome, if that makes any difference, lmao)

During stutters:

SPECS:

POWER SITUATION:

THEORIES:

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
-Reinstalled Windows

I've considered that lingering drivers may be an issue, and doing a clean wipe and reinstall of Windows 10 can eliminate this possibility or even the problem itself, but reinstalling Windows is a last resort right now. I have no problems wiping and reinstalling Windows, but I'd rather try everything else FIRST before doing this. Considering how much I've tried, there's a good chance this option is not too far from being used.

EDIT 1:

Reinstalled Windows 10, no issues with anything UNTIL I installed Steel Series Engine 3 (for my Arctis Pro headset), turns out my computer doesn't seem to like this particular program very much! Installing software for my headset and also uninstalling software lead to stuttering which ceased after the software went away. Will post new updates if stuttering returns.

EDIT 2:
Stuttering does seem to persist, but only under specific conditions, like when installing Logitech G-Hub or when installing software for Steel Series headset.
You used the windows media creation tool and installed with a usb?

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020

Reinstall windows!!!!
Reinstalling windows seems to not fix the issue. The stuttering still seems to return occasionally. I did run a memory diagnostic test that came up negative for errors, so there's another possibility marked off the list.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
sounds like a bios or windows setting issue then, try disabling cstate in bios, set windows processor to min 100% and see if it still happens.
I already have those set to that, High Performance is on in Windows and I edited the power plan to allow for max performance. I set C-State to disabled previously and updated my BIOS a few days ago. It is currently on the latest version (1407)

I already have those set to that, High Performance is on in Windows and I edited the power plan to allow for max performance. I set C-State to disabled previously and updated my BIOS a few days ago. It is currently on the latest version (1407)
Hmm, something with the CPU or motherboard likely then. I’d RMA both and see what the new set does. Off topic though, wondering why you bought a nice motherboard for the 7700k, and skimped on the 3800x. Taichi was one of the best z270 motherboards yet you went for low mid level on the x570.

This issue was talked about on the AMD forums and could be a chipset driver issue. I rolled back to 1.0.0.3 ABBA from 1.0.0.4 patch B to fix it. Also some people turned of fast startup to fix the issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/248838
The one guy has the exact same motherboard and another the price equivalent from MSI. Hopefully a rollback will fix it.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Hmm, something with the CPU or motherboard likely then. I’d RMA both and see what the new set does. Off topic though, wondering why you bought a nice motherboard for the 7700k, and skimped on the 3800x. Taichi was one of the best z270 motherboards yet you went for low mid level on the x570.
I was originally going to go for the Taichi for the new one, but a lot of motherboards were out of stock at the time, but I had to make a decision for reasons I don't really want to get into right now. I'll see if I can RMA anytime soon. I have seen reviews online stating that the TUF GAMING x570 was one of the best budget boards out there, so I thought that this would be the best choice in the moment. Aside from the few seconds of stuttering every few hours, the board has proved to be pretty nice with its features.
This issue was talked about on the AMD forums and could be a chipset driver issue. I rolled back to 1.0.0.3 ABBA from 1.0.0.4 patch B to fix it. Also some people turned of fast startup to fix the issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/248838
I will try that. I didn't update from 1.0.0.3, so is there a way to uninstall my current chipset drivers and install the 1.0.0.3 chipset drivers since rollback isn't possible?

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
I was originally going to go for the Taichi for the new one, but a lot of motherboards were out of stock at the time, but I had to make a decision for reasons I don't really want to get into right now. I'll see if I can RMA anytime soon. I have seen reviews online stating that the TUF GAMING x570 was one of the best budget boards out there, so I thought that this would be the best choice in the moment. Aside from the few seconds of stuttering every few hours, the board has proved to be pretty nice with its features.

I will try that. I didn't update from 1.0.0.3, so is there a way to uninstall my current chipset drivers and install the 1.0.0.3 chipset drivers since rollback isn't possible?

Currently the latest chipset drivers are not causing me any trouble. I am running 1.0.0.3 ABBA.