Question Ryzen 7 3800x high temps/voltage

KeithM1989

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
Specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (x64) Build 17763.615 (1809/RS5)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM: Corsair Vengence 32GB, 3200Mhz

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Gaming OC

BIOS: 5204

Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52

I am at my wits end with this... I've done everything I could think of, I've even replaced another cooler with the Kraken x52, which is what i'm using now. I am getting ridiculous temps idle, and high load. I also see my core voltage always spiking to 1.45 (doesn't go down) (is this normal??) When running Prime95 or Cinebench, I am immediately spiking to 95c, and my core voltage is dropping to 1.2-1.1v, and i'm seeing my peak speed drop as well.. (see the second pic)

Things I've attempted:

1. Updating the bios, and the chipset to the latest version available (as per this post: https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2 )

2. Set my power plan to Ryzen Balanced

3. Reset the bios by pulling the battery.

I'm also getting this strange thing, if I set my RAM timings by using the XMP profile, my computer doesn't want to boot. I have to set it to below 3200Mhz, and then restart, and go back into bios and set it up to 3200Mhz for it to boot at the right frequency.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_10.png

pastedImage_1.png

(I think the minimum processor state should be 10%?)

I just took a screen shot of what I have at the time.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated..

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Whenever I reset my BIOS I always pull the battery out, short the CLR CMOS jumper with a small screwdriver, wait 1 minute then re-insert the battery.

Benchmarking software like Prime do make the CPU go up to 95c but you will never get that load during gaming or even rendering software.
What are your gaming/intensive application temps?

I set a voltage offset of - .100 on my Ryzen 2700x which really helps temperatures while still allowing it to boost.
So that is worth trying.

Andy

KeithM1989

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
Are you running prime95 with AVX instructions or not? Cause if you are running with AVX, yeah no wonder you are hitting very high temps.

Another problem is that you are on windows 10 build 1809, which is not officially supported by 3rd Gen Ryzen. If you want the CPU to run correctly, you need to upgrade to 1903.

Also, read this:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

That would mean I would have to go too Windows 10 Pro, instead of LTSC urgh! I guess I dont have a choice.

no0va.bhamade

Prominent
May 26, 2020
Whenever I reset my BIOS I always pull the battery out, short the CLR CMOS jumper with a small screwdriver, wait 1 minute then re-insert the battery.

Benchmarking software like Prime do make the CPU go up to 95c but you will never get that load during gaming or even rendering software.
What are your gaming/intensive application temps?

I set a voltage offset of - .100 on my Ryzen 2700x which really helps temperatures while still allowing it to boost.
So that is worth trying.

Andy
I have a 3800x and having bad temps so high frustrating me I tried to do offset temps on -.100 and pc won't boot past bios it crashes. I tried lowering voltage to 1.275 it works but temps still high idles at lowest 44 degrees and spikes to 62 and im using a corsair h150i water cooler

I have a 3800x and having bad temps so high frustrating me I tried to do offset temps on -.100 and pc won't boot past bios it crashes. I tried lowering voltage to 1.275 it works but temps still high idles at lowest 44 degrees and spikes to 62 and im using a corsair h150i water cooler

Something is not installed properly.

You should start a new thread unless you have the same set up and Window's 10 version as the OP.

I have a 3800x running on a Corsair H60 and max temp of 73-75C under load. PBO is enabled.

Reactions: Makaveli
Jun 20, 2020
Specs:

I am at my wits end with this... I've done everything I could think of, I've even replaced another cooler with the Kraken x52, which is what i'm using now. I am getting ridiculous temps idle, and high load. I also see my core voltage always spiking to 1.45 (doesn't go down) (is this normal??) When running Prime95 or Cinebench, I am immediately spiking to 95c, and my core voltage is dropping to 1.2-1.1v, and i'm seeing my peak speed drop as well.. (see the second pic)

Things I've attempted:

1. Updating the bios, and the chipset to the latest version available (as per this post: https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2 )

I'm also getting this strange thing, if I set my RAM timings by using the XMP profile, my computer doesn't want to boot. I have to set it to below 3200Mhz, and then restart, and go back into bios and set it up to 3200Mhz for it to boot at the right frequency.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_10.png

pastedImage_1.png

I had the same problem with idle temps on my 3800x. Before reinstalling the system my idle temps were fine (30-35C). But after I reinstalled idle temps jumped to 40-50C. Thing that worked for me was Microsoft power saving plan. When I switched to it temps immediately dropped to 35C. I use 200W TDP air cooler

May 30, 2020
Specs:

Things I've attempted:

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_10.png

pastedImage_1.png

Hi, i had similiar issues with my cpu, ill paste post from another topic:

I have had the Ryzen 3900X on my Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi record for a couple of weeks now, along with the NH-D15 Chromax cooling. At the beginning I didn't like the stock temperatures either.In the IDLE the temperatures were 39 to 44 degrees with jumps up to 47/48, in stress Cinebench R20 showed about 75 degrees. I didn't use the Prime95 or Aida64, but the temperatures there would probably be about 80 degrees. I looked for different solutions on the internet until I came across a reddit about o undervolting through negative offset and a topic about modifying the power plan in windows.

Using the advice from this topic

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng1y8/ryzen_3700x_high_iddle_temps_and_fan_speed/

I changed the AMD Ryzen High Performance plan to Custom, while in the bios I disabled both PBO options and set a negative offset for CPU voltages - 0.1 This resulted in a significant reduction in CPU temperatures in IDLE as well as under stress. Currently in the IDLE I have 35/36 degrees with jumps to 38/39 - usually when I have Chrome browser open, a few tabs, Steam and music player on I have 36-37 degrees. In the Cinebench R20, temperatures have dropped to 66/67 degrees, while the benchmark scores are still good, with no performance loss signals.

Overall I am very satisfied, the CPU is calmer and much cooler. If you want, try this method, I think it can have a positive effect. You may have to have a bigger or smaller offset, there may be different sweet spots for the processor. However, it is worth trying it :)

Reactions: KeithM1989

KeithM1989

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi, i had similiar issues with my cpu, ill paste post from another topic:

I have had the Ryzen 3900X on my Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi record for a couple of weeks now, along with the NH-D15 Chromax cooling. At the beginning I didn't like the stock temperatures either.In the IDLE the temperatures were 39 to 44 degrees with jumps up to 47/48, in stress Cinebench R20 showed about 75 degrees. I didn't use the Prime95 or Aida64, but the temperatures there would probably be about 80 degrees. I looked for different solutions on the internet until I came across a reddit about o undervolting through negative offset and a topic about modifying the power plan in windows.

Using the advice from this topic

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng1y8/ryzen_3700x_high_iddle_temps_and_fan_speed/

I changed the AMD Ryzen High Performance plan to Custom, while in the bios I disabled both PBO options and set a negative offset for CPU voltages - 0.1 This resulted in a significant reduction in CPU temperatures in IDLE as well as under stress. Currently in the IDLE I have 35/36 degrees with jumps to 38/39 - usually when I have Chrome browser open, a few tabs, Steam and music player on I have 36-37 degrees. In the Cinebench R20, temperatures have dropped to 66/67 degrees, while the benchmark scores are still good, with no performance loss signals.

Overall I am very satisfied, the CPU is calmer and much cooler. If you want, try this method, I think it can have a positive effect. You may have to have a bigger or smaller offset, there may be different sweet spots for the processor. However, it is worth trying it :)

What is your max clock speed on your processor? are you within ranges?

edit: I just applied the power plan, oh my god, temps dropped by like 10-15c! That's insane, and I've noticed no performance loss, however I am a bit of a noob when it comes to changing settings within the bios, What exactly am I looking for?

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
What is your max clock speed on your processor? are you within ranges?

Hi! A little bit has changed with me as far as the power plan is concerned - I use a similar plan to this modification with reddit, but the current one gives better performance and still keeps great temperatures in the IDLE.
This is the plan: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/sz_ryzbal_v4-zip.915909/

As for your question, I didn't check the clocks in my 3900X in detail that much. From what I remember with Multicore in the C20 it was about 4150 Mhz, which translated to about 7170-7200 points, but I don't remember how the singlecore boosted the single core to the maximum - just the singlecore test for me takes too long and there the core speed is not constant. I guess, but I'm not sure Geekbench showed 4450-4500, something like that.

But keep in mind that I've never done OC and I don't know how to check the maximum speed of singlecore - if you have some way to test it, share it and I will gladly check it :)

Reactions: KeithM1989

KeithM1989

Honorable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi! A little bit has changed with me as far as the power plan is concerned - I use a similar plan to this modification with reddit, but the current one gives better performance and still keeps great temperatures in the IDLE.
This is the plan: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/sz_ryzbal_v4-zip.915909/

As for your question, I didn't check the clocks in my 3900X in detail that much. From what I remember with Multicore in the C20 it was about 4150 Mhz, which translated to about 7170-7200 points, but I don't remember how the singlecore boosted the single core to the maximum - just the singlecore test for me takes too long and there the core speed is not constant. I guess, but I'm not sure Geekbench showed 4450-4500, something like that.

But keep in mind that I've never done OC and I don't know how to check the maximum speed of singlecore - if you have some way to test it, share it and I will gladly check it :)

Can you provide the source for these modifications to see if they fit my need, (like the forum thread) I also edited my original topic above I'll post it here, thank you for replying!

vvv posted above

edit: I just applied the power plan, oh my god, temps dropped by like 10-15c! That's insane, and I've noticed no performance loss, however I am a bit of a noob when it comes to changing settings within the bios, What exactly am I looking for?

Thank you so much for helping!!

Last edited:
May 30, 2020

No, this is not 1usmus plan. 1usmus plan wont give you so low idle temps.

About rest:

Well, I haven't changed much in bios. I have a negative voltage offset set, but only to reduce stress temperatures - The second option I changed was to set the PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) to disabled. That's all :) I hope you set up this power plan from computerbase link, it is better. As far as the source of modifications is concerned, what I don't know a lot about, someone gave me a link on reddit to this plan.