[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3800x misbehaving (surprise)

Apr 23, 2020
Hello. I am a bit new to PC building, and this is my first build. A quick rundown of system components seems to be a good place to start.

Ryzen 7 3800x
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB C16 (4x8gb) 3600mhz
Gigabyte Aorus 2070 Super
EVGA P2 850W PSU
SPCC 512GB NVME (Backup System)
WD Blue 1TB M.2 Sata (Boot Drive)
Seagate Firecuda 2TB Hybrid HDD

Ok, that aside. Only BIOS setting I have messed with are setting memory to correct timing/speed, disabling cpu fan monitoring(running an AIO connecting to a hub), and enabling the MOBO to boot off an M.2 slot. Past that, I have left everything alone. My CPU runs at 4.1-4.3 ghz at idle (2% cpu usage). I have temperature spikes at idle as well, but most of what I have read has led me to believe that is to be expected. But, I just do not seem to get the performance a PC of this spec should be getting. I sometimes use UserBenchmark to test my system, and often get various results, but most common are CPU below spec, or Memory below spec. The biggest drawback is the relative instability of my setup.

Seeing as I have less than a year of PC building under my belt, I have not accrued enough experience to mess with BIOS settings, and do not have any tech saavy friends who are available to help me sort out my system. I am not looking to overclock, I am only running a 1080p 60hz monitor (actually a TV, money for a proper monitor went towards car parts, lol), and am looking for solid 60 fps in 1080p high-to-max settings.

I do have AMD Ryzen Master installed, have tried with and without it, and with various settings seen in tech help forums, does not make a difference.
System runs cool, I have a Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO, and 7 case fans. Generally do not hit 60C on either CPU or GPU in games. Have never hit 80C even under extended 100% loads.

290917.8a8b0a60648e0a7381b85a04c63c3c22.1600.jpg

290917.8922559c822ba7cd44e3e9e9a6ff0a99.1600.jpg

A quick note: I did end up flipping the GPU, I found that it increased temps by 10C when upright. Which is sad, it is a badass looking GPU.

Solution
As for where I installed the dimms, I bought a 4 stick kit, all slots are populated. It is a G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz C16 Ryzen Optimized kit.
OHhhhh yes did miss that...

4 DIMM's is very much more difficult to hit higher clocks, the nature of the data line loading at such high clock speeds with 2 dimms on each channel.

HOWEVER...there are two main topologies for circuit routing to DIMM sockets; the one most commonly used is best when using 2 DIMM's to get higher speeds. The other one is best for 4 DIMM's. And I also note (reading back now :)) you have an X570 Crosshair Hero VIII... that is one board which very well may use that topology. I'm really not sure.

At any rate, that is a very special board with a lot of...
Hello. I am a bit new to PC building, and this is my first build. A quick rundown of system components seems to be a good place to start.

Ryzen 7 3800x
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB C16 (4x8gb) 3600mhz
Gigabyte Aorus 2070 Super
EVGA P2 850W PSU
SPCC 512GB NVME (Backup System)
WD Blue 1TB M.2 Sata (Boot Drive)
Seagate Firecuda 2TB Hybrid HDD

Ok, that aside. Only BIOS setting I have messed with are setting memory to correct timing/speed, disabling cpu fan monitoring(running an AIO connecting to a hub), and enabling the MOBO to boot off an M.2 slot. Past that, I have left everything alone. My CPU runs at 4.1-4.3 ghz at idle (2% cpu usage). I have temperature spikes at idle as well, but most of what I have read has led me to believe that is to be expected. But, I just do not seem to get the performance a PC of this spec should be getting. I sometimes use UserBenchmark to test my system, and often get various results, but most common are CPU below spec, or Memory below spec. The biggest drawback is the relative instability of my setup.

Seeing as I have less than a year of PC building under my belt, I have not accrued enough experience to mess with BIOS settings, and do not have any tech saavy friends who are available to help me sort out my system. I am not looking to overclock, I am only running a 1080p 60hz monitor (actually a TV, money for a proper monitor went towards car parts, lol), and am looking for solid 60 fps in 1080p high-to-max settings.

I do have AMD Ryzen Master installed, have tried with and without it, and with various settings seen in tech help forums, does not make a difference.
System runs cool, I have a Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO, and 7 case fans. Generally do not hit 60C on either CPU or GPU in games. Have never hit 80C even under extended 100% loads.

290917.8a8b0a60648e0a7381b85a04c63c3c22.1600.jpg

290917.8922559c822ba7cd44e3e9e9a6ff0a99.1600.jpg

A quick note: I did end up flipping the GPU, I found that it increased temps by 10C when upright. Which is sad, it is a badass looking GPU.
Did you enable and set PBO and DOCP ?

Also, please download and run CineBench 20.
It’s free.

Single core should be around 500 and all cores around 5000. I have a 3800x and achieve these results as well with 3200MHz memory .

My Ryzen build performance is absolutely great. Fastest and snappiest pc I’ve ever used.

In addition to other suggestions the more basic but possibly overlooked: be sure to update BIOS to latest AGESA 1004b and install the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD web site. And run the Ryzen Balanced power plan unaltered.

Something else often not done in BIOS is to enable these settings: AMD Cool'n'Quiet, Advanced (or Global) C States, Processor CPPC and Processor CPPC Preferred cores. Don't just leave them in AUTO or DEFAULT because that can be DISABLED in many BIOS'.

Last: by 'flipping the GPU' do you mean moving it to insert directly into the motherboard PCIe socket? I'm a bit surprised as with it mounted as shown I'd think it has easier access to cool air. But does that picture also not show a side panel that would block it?

Apr 23, 2020
I have Cinebench R20 already, will run again (dont remember the results). I have checked for latest BIOS and chipset drivers, everything is up to date. Will check all settings listed when I go back into BIOS. And by flipping the GPU, I do mean removing the riser cable and plugging it into the mobo slot. It is about a half inch off the glass in the photo, so it did restrict air movement. By the way, thanks for the helpful responses, I will be trying some things listed.

Apr 23, 2020
Ok, ran a "before" R20 test.

CPU Multi-core: 4660
CPU Single-core: 505
MP Ratio: 9.22x

Ran multi-core at 74C, single-core at 57C. I will go ahead and dive into BIOS with suggestions, run again, and see if there is a difference.

Apr 23, 2020
Changed some settings, got a boot error q-code 22 (seems to be memory), cleared CMOS and set pre-installed memory timing which matches my kit, and am running again. With new settings, all-core is 4713. Running single core currently.

Ryzen Master would be best for core speed and temps. You can set to see peaks in the histogram.

Try to close all other non- essential programs when running CineBench 20.

I’ll do the same and see what my peaks are.

I have a Corsair H60 AIO front intake like your set up.

My idle temp 35-40C.

Single Core
56C
Score 519
One core only was at 4.489GHz

All Cores
72C
Score 4925
All cores running 4.135GHz

So, your not far off. I’m running the x570 chipset drivers from something around January. I can update them at some point and run it again.

Also will look at memory in the BIOS, all I did was enable DOCP/XMP, did not manually enter anything.

Last edited:
...It seems to be alternating single core load between cores 1&2
That's perfectly normal and shows your settings are working right. Those CPPC settings in BIOS instruct the processor to inform the OS what the 'best' cores in the CPU are and to listen to the OS when the OS schedules work on them. The Windows OS scheduler is now processor topology aware and will select cores based on processor architecture.

Even if not the 'best', it's preferring those cores in a single thread work load because they share cache resources in the same CCX. Bouncing the work back and forth I think is a kind of 'wear leveling' effect. Since the cache resources are shared there's no performance penalty doing it. My 3700X does the same sort of thing.

Task Manager shows the same speeds as Ryzen Master.

You might want to get HWInfo64, it's very useful, provides much better performance data than Task manager and is less laggy then Ryzenmaster.

One other thing you could try: in BIOS just enable PBO to Auto. That's all; then see how it affects multi-thread performance in CB 20. Of course, have nothing running when you do that.

Apr 23, 2020
I have tried PBO on "Enabled" and "Auto", got no difference between the two. I am leaning towards Garrettl, I think it is a memory issue. Because of the clock speeds it achieves, and its overall OK performance in benchmarks, I think his theory of memory could be right. As for now, with the couple changes I have made today and yesterday (Thank you for the advice!), it seems to be at least stable and in good working order. I have fired up a few games, and it seems to be running a steady locked 60 fps on max 1080p. I even loaded Fallout 4 on Ultra, grabbed a minigun modded to fire mini-nukes, and let loose a 20 second volley. It chewed right through it, I saw it drop to 58 fps for a brief moment. With the games running smooth and thermals looking great, I am not going to press my luck and mess with settings I have no good reason to be playing with. I thank all of you for a very courteous and professional thread here, I think I will call it good enough!

Apr 23, 2020
Task Manager reports 2133 mhz memory speed, it is a 3600 mhz kit. I remember someone telling me once that what the memory speed is reading is not the Actual speed, but I do not know. Yes, it is the AMD optimized G.skill, and it is a matched 4x8 kit, not two 2x8 kits. I set the memory speed and timing in BIOS, and in Ryzen Master set it to Auto, I do not know if I should try to manually input the memory speed and timings there. But when I have messed with memory in BIOS to try to match what I was told to do by various other people, I get failure to boot and have to clear CMOS and start all over. I may end up taking my PC to someone to have it properly looked over and optimized, but for right now it seems to be running fine.

As for what the issue was, I was getting some pretty horrible benchmarks, and game performance was sort of miserable. I would see all kinds of little issues, and constant crashes followed by a reboot to a windows blue screen. I think there was a conflict (most likely one I created in trying to get it set up), and decided to go back and reset BIOS to Asus recommended optimized, and still had some issues. Most of those seem to be cleared for now, and the scores I am posting on R20 are in line with their recorded 3800x scores. That is good enough for me, I have had no luck with the memory in earlier attempts, and it may be best to take it to someone to tune that up.

Yep...2133 is the 'default' DDR4 speed for 'safety' that is way below what it should be able to do. You should easily be able to get 3200, the rated DDR4 speed for a 3800X CPU. 3600 isn't out of the question with decent DDR4 3600 memory.

I didn't read through the whole thing: have you put the memory in the correct DIMM sockets? that would be the 2nd and 4rth going away from the CPU.

When they said it's not the actual speed it's because it's DDR memory...the actual speed is 1/2 the data transfer rate. 2133 is the transfer rate, the clock speed is actually 2133/2 or 1066.5Mhz; 3600 actual speed is 1800Mhz and so forth.

A suggestion is to manually load the timings for your memory and as well the voltage it says it requires. But manually set the memory speed to 3200; probably a multiplier of 32. The timings and operationg voltage for 3600 should help it be stable at 3200.

Last edited:
Please enable DOCP in the bios under memory. Should be a drop down box. Leave voltage on auto. That should be it to get it to run properly if the memory is compatible.

I think OP stated 4x8 32GB so all populated. Could also just run just two sticks if the 4 won’t hit 3600 but they should.