Sep 3, 2019
Today, when I hopped on my PC, I noticed that while in-game, my CPU temp is hitting 67~75 Celsius, while even last night, it didn't even reach 65. I have Corsair H115i 280mm in Corsair iCUE 220T case, with the default fans. My radiator sits at the front side of the case drawing air from inside the case because I accidentally had it face the other way, but it's been working fine, so I think I'm going to leave it that way, unless drawing air in from the outside is better. 2 fans at top drawing air in, rear fan drawing air out. I've also been getting random crashes, which I'm not sure why. I checked Reliability monitor, and most of the times it was due to application failures, now it's mostly miscellaneous failures. What's up with my PC? It's brand new, about 3 weeks old now. You guys can also suggest me the fan setups if there is a better setup. Also, the case fans are quite audible, even at idle, I have the fans at "quiet" preset on my Asus BIOS.

Solution
The default case fans that came with the case are Corsair SP120 RGB PRO, 3 of them, so 1 exhaust, 2 intakes at the top. I think these ones are pretty decent, gets the job done. As for the airflow, I know my setup is pretty bad, but the thing is, the CPU temp was doing really well, I'm talking 65 Celcius max while gaming, GPU around 71. And the CPU temp started to go around 70~75 today, for some reason while gaming. I'm going to do rear exhaust, top exhaust, 2 intakes (140mm AIO fans between the rad itself and the case), hopefully, this will make it better? Also, any suggestions for the fan curves if I'm going for moderately quiet while gaming? I adjusted the case fans in the BIOS, but they seem to run at the same speed no matter the...
actually thats really bad airflow design u got there

1) having your radiator in front will heat up rest of your hardware (no cold intake)
so your GPU and other things will have higher temperature, but your CPU will be fine

2) having radiator in front intake fans is also bad idea, theres not enough air pressure too cool your rad efficiently

3) having top fans as intake is very very bad idea, your back fan (exhaust) will just push it out without actually doing anything (ok maybe it will help on VRM, but thats all)

if u can put your radiator at top, put it there, fans put below your rad as exhaust (to push air through rad outside)
this will reduce temperature inside your PC by quite a bit

Sep 3, 2019
actually thats really bad airflow design u got there

1) having your radiator in front will heat up rest of your hardware (no cold intake)
so your GPU and other things will have higher temperature, but your CPU will be fine

2) having radiator in front intake fans is also bad idea, theres not enough air pressure too cool your rad efficiently

3) having top fans as intake is very very bad idea, your back fan (exhaust) will just push it out without actually doing anything (ok maybe it will help on VRM, but thats all)

if u can put your radiator at top, put it there, fans put below your rad as exhaust (to push air through rad outside)
this will reduce temperature inside your PC by quite a bit

I wish I can put my rad up at the top, but I have a 280mm and top only supports 240mm... What's the best option here then?

Sep 3, 2019
So rad fans in between the case and the rad itself, rear fan and top fans exhaust? Also, no matter how I set up the fan curves in the BIOS, it's always the same noise level. Whether it's a "quiet" preset or custom curve to have it moderately quiet at higher temps, it's still the same noise level. Also, how can I check the fan speeds?

Today, when I hopped on my PC, I noticed that while in-game, my CPU temp is hitting 67~75 Celsius, while even last night, it didn't even reach 65. I have Corsair H115i 280mm in Corsair iCUE 220T case, with the default fans. My radiator sits at the front side of the case drawing air from inside the case because I accidentally had it face the other way, but it's been working fine, so I think I'm going to leave it that way, unless drawing air in from the outside is better. 2 fans at top drawing air in, rear fan drawing air out. I've also been getting random crashes, which I'm not sure why. I checked Reliability monitor, and most of the times it was due to application failures, now it's mostly miscellaneous failures. What's up with my PC? It's brand new, about 3 weeks old now. You guys can also suggest me the fan setups if there is a better setup. Also, the case fans are quite audible, even at idle, I have the fans at "quiet" preset on my Asus BIOS.

Turn that radiator around drawing air in from the front.

Basically your using the hot air inside your pc to try and "cool down" the radiator when you should be using the external air as an inflow to cool your radiator and draw cooler air into the system.

As far as default case fan, most are trash, buy a new exhaust fan (like 15-20 bucks) and if you have room for fans on top, buy a couple extra fans or throw ur default case fan on top so you have 2 exhausts. 1 being the new fan you buy as the main exhaust and the default (on top) being the secondary exhaust.

Im almost positive your airflow is whats causing your high temps.

This is also considering that you cannot put the radiator on top as an exhaust, then this would be your best option other than buying a 240mm.

Sep 3, 2019
Turn that radiator around drawing air in from the front.

Basically your using the hot air inside your pc to try and "cool down" the radiator when you should be using the external air as an inflow to cool your radiator and draw cooler air into the system.

As far as default case fan, most are trash, buy a new exhaust fan (like 15-20 bucks) and if you have room for fans on top, buy a couple extra fans or throw ur default case fan on top so you have 2 exhausts. 1 being the new fan you buy as the main exhaust and the default (on top) being the secondary exhaust.

Im almost positive your airflow is whats causing your high temps.

The default case fans that came with the case are Corsair SP120 RGB PRO, 3 of them, so 1 exhaust, 2 intakes at the top. I think these ones are pretty decent, gets the job done. As for the airflow, I know my setup is pretty bad, but the thing is, the CPU temp was doing really well, I'm talking 65 Celcius max while gaming, GPU around 71. And the CPU temp started to go around 70~75 today, for some reason while gaming. I'm going to do rear exhaust, top exhaust, 2 intakes (140mm AIO fans between the rad itself and the case), hopefully, this will make it better? Also, any suggestions for the fan curves if I'm going for moderately quiet while gaming? I adjusted the case fans in the BIOS, but they seem to run at the same speed no matter the curve and the CPU temp. These case fans are 3 fans, and in the BIOS, I chose PWM option (which I think PWM is 4 pin).

The default case fans that came with the case are Corsair SP120 RGB PRO, 3 of them, so 1 exhaust, 2 intakes at the top. I think these ones are pretty decent, gets the job done. As for the airflow, I know my setup is pretty bad, but the thing is, the CPU temp was doing really well, I'm talking 65 Celcius max while gaming, GPU around 71. And the CPU temp started to go around 70~75 today, for some reason while gaming. I'm going to do rear exhaust, top exhaust, 2 intakes (140mm AIO fans between the rad itself and the case), hopefully, this will make it better? Also, any suggestions for the fan curves if I'm going for moderately quiet while gaming? I adjusted the case fans in the BIOS, but they seem to run at the same speed no matter the curve and the CPU temp. These case fans are 3 fans, and in the BIOS, I chose PWM option (which I think PWM is 4 pin).

I mean you could always try resetting the heatsink and applying new thermal paste just to cover all your bases and make sure somehow the heatsink didnt come loose or something but it honestly just sounds like airflow issues, however when diagnosing over the internet, can never be 100% certain unless we absolutely narrow it down to airflow but I feel it will work.

As far as case fan curves, mine is set at 35% at 30c 55% at 55c 75% at 70c .. and then max for anything above that. However it also depends on your exact fan model how loud/not loud they will be at any given percentage and also how much rpm the fan will push. At idle my case fans run around 1100rpms.

And you can check your case fans rpms by using HWMonitor and going to fans to check if they are in fact running at max rpms, always. To check the max rpms just go into bios and set the fans to max and check the rpm. Then switch it back to your custom curve, reboot and go into HWMonitor and check if its still running at that max rpm.

But yes, regardless of any other testing, still switch around your airflow.

EDIT: Also, how long has it been since the system has been cleaned? Fans and all?

Solution
Sep 3, 2019
I mean you could always try resetting the heatsink and applying new thermal paste just to cover all your bases and make sure somehow the heatsink didnt come loose or something but it honestly just sounds like airflow issues, however when diagnosing over the internet, can never be 100% certain unless we absolutely narrow it down to airflow but I feel it will work.

As far as case fan curves, mine is set at 35% at 30c 55% at 55c 75% at 70c .. and then max for anything above that. However it also depends on your exact fan model how loud/not loud they will be at any given percentage and also how much rpm the fan will push. At idle my case fans run around 1100rpms.

And you can check your case fans rpms by using HWMonitor and going to fans to check if they are in fact running at max rpms, always. To check the max rpms just go into bios and set the fans to max and check the rpm. Then switch it back to your custom curve, reboot and go into HWMonitor and check if its still running at that max rpm.

But yes, regardless of any other testing, still switch around your airflow.

EDIT: Also, how long has it been since the system has been cleaned? Fans and all?
I've just got this system about 3-4 weeks ago, so dust shouldn't be a problem. If it builds up and it's visible, I can clean it up, but for now, I don't think dust is an issue.

Sep 3, 2019
What did you do that helped?

And if your problem is resolved please choose the best answer :)
I made the radiator fans face the other way (so it would pull in fresh cool air) and I haven't changed the top fans to exhaust yet, but even without having the top fans set to exhaust, the CPU and the components temps are low. I also managed to figure out why my case fans were at max speed at all times. They are 3 pin fans that came with my Corsair 220t and in the BIOS, the fan setting mode was set to PWM instead of DC, so I just changed it to DC and set the curve. Very quiet now, even while gaming, spins at around 950~1150 RPM. Thanks for helping! :)

Reactions: Jason H.
I made the radiator fans face the other way (so it would pull in fresh cool air) and I haven't changed the top fans to exhaust yet, but even without having the top fans set to exhaust, the CPU and the components temps are low. I also managed to figure out why my case fans were at max speed at all times. They are 3 pin fans that came with my Corsair 220t and in the BIOS, the fan setting mode was set to PWM instead of DC, so I just changed it to DC and set the curve. Very quiet now, even while gaming, spins at around 950~1150 RPM. Thanks for helping! :)

I still recommend changing your top fan as a exhaust but Im glad we could help you get what you needed :)

good luck!