[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3800XT w/ Asus x470-f Gaming, High Fan Speeds Super Loud

Sep 29, 2020
Hello, I recently just built a PC with a motherboard that my older brother didn't need anymore the Asus x470-F Gaming paired with a Ryzen 7 3800XT but the temperatures seem to be running really high and the fans sound like jet engines. I also monitored the temperature during idle and the temperatures were fluctuating from ~40c to ~70c every couple seconds which would prompt my fans to speed up very high. My CPU cooler is the NZXT x63 AIO cooler and from the CAM software the liquid temperatures would be sub 40c while my CPU would fluctuate. I tested with Ryzen 7 2700 and everything is fine, but once I put in the 3800xt all hell breaks loose.

Could this issue be caused by my motherboard? I've also updated to the latest bios update.
Should I upgrade MOBO to a b550 or RMA the cpu

Last edited:
Solution
Hey! Yea I've just made sure my bios and chipset drivers were up to date.
Now adjust your fan profiles!

It's normal for Ryzen processors to spike temperature as they boost clocks from idle. If you use a tight fan curve it will pulse along with the spikes. So what I do is set a flat fan speed that's just audible up to about 65-70C then start ramping up from there...only get loud at 80-85C and 100% only about 95C, which is TJmax. That works perfect for me.
Sep 29, 2020
Make sure bios and chipset drivers are up to date. There were some updates to help curb said behavior that 3rd gen Ryzen exhibits for very short instances of usage, like when a background program needs the CPU for a split second.

Now adjust your fan profiles!

It's normal for Ryzen processors to spike temperature as they boost clocks from idle. If you use a tight fan curve it will pulse along with the spikes. So what I do is set a flat fan speed that's just audible up to about 65-70C then start ramping up from there...only get loud at 80-85C and 100% only about 95C, which is TJmax. That works perfect for me.

Solution