[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3800XX Temps?

Octopicake

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
Hey guys.

I recently built a computer, and well, I think the CPU temp is a little off. It seems to go up to 85c when playing MHW on highest. I did buy a thermal pad and currently waiting for that to get shipped to me, but my PC falls asleep in about an hour of nothing happening. Had to leave for an errand and came back, woke it back up and saw this
View: https://imgur.com/TUqODiX

Now, should I be worried about that? Nothing seems damaged, no weird artifacting or anything. Been using OpenhardwareMonitor, but I do have Ryzen Master. It has a limit of 90c so I'd assume it would shut down if it was actually that hot.

Solution
@Octopicake -Your system is normal and long post but can be helpful,if interested
First off your software is glitching out and is for all Ryzen on that software.
Use HWinfo64 for more accurate temperatures and voltage reading as suggested above.

Your system is normal for Ryzen but with a thermal pad expect a few °C more than with paste but that is fine and you will never know the difference.

AMD CPU algorithm changes many times per second to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control and within safe parameters.So temperatures/CPU clock/Voltage will change all the time and it is impossible to get 100% accurate reading at a particular polling rate but it is good enough and safe.

So Ryzen CPU's...

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
What's that thermal pad supposed to do? I would check your cooler mounting with temps like that.
You'll be lucky if you don't have damage. Idk what you're using, but Realtemp is for AMD.
4475? It's not running that high at stock, that's for sure.

That's a max overclock on air with a good chip for that.

Octopicake

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
What's that thermal pad supposed to do? I would check your cooler mounting with temps like that.
You'll be lucky if you don't have damage. Idk what you're using, but Realtemp is for AMD.
4475? It's not running that high at stock, that's for sure.

That's a max overclock on air with a good chip for that.

My fan is mounted properly, and the Thermal Pad would add better cooling to it. It's just a replacement for the paste.

As I mentioned before, I was using Open Hardware Monitor and Ryzen Master.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
My fan is mounted properly, and the Thermal Pad would add better cooling to it. It's just a replacement for the paste.

As I mentioned before, I was using Open Hardware Monitor and Ryzen Master.
No pad is a good replacement for proper thermal compound.

You need a better heatsink and to learn about mounting heatsinks.

Although with that 4475 overclock, something tells me you're a trolling.
I'm biting, now what?

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
No pad is a good replacement for proper thermal compound.

You need a better heatsink and to learn about mounting heatsinks.

Although with that 4475 overclock, something tells me you're a trolling.
I'm biting, now what?
Those temps looks like his hardwaremonitor is trolling. Has to Be a faulty sensor or something a pc cant run at 200c for a second.

Octopicake

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
Something must Be wrong with your cpu temp sensors and your cpu clocks may be false too. Full system specs?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2bQcq
This is the build I have currently, minus the liquid cooling. Going to be getting one soonish. Possibly replace the h500i stock fans in the future too.
What is the power plan set to?

If you havent changed it set to ryzen balanced
With processor power management
Min processor power state set to 5-20%
I'll look into that. Ty.

I think his HWMonitor freaked out when his Windows went to sleep and is reading out random values as a result.

I'd suggest getting HWInfo64 which seems to be much more reliable.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot today. I'll be doing some tests later on and will post results.

ryzen master is what you should use, HWMonitor and others dont read the temps of amd cpus correctly
Ryzen master is a good thermal reference because it shows an 'average' core temperature instead of the instantaneous core temperature most other utilities show. The instantaneous readout many utilities show is usually a confusing 'sawtooth' pattern typical of Ryzen's core boosting at idle.

The problem is when motherboards use that instantaneous temperature as the input for fan control. It can be a bit puzzling because fans pulse up to high speed and then back down if you set the curve to tight to the average temperature.

BTW, HWInfo64 has both an instantaneous (Tdie) and a moving average (Tdie(average)) readout.

Octopicake

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I see. Well just in case-

TwixtFQ.png

This is my current read on idle (Just stopped playing a game though)

Going to be adding that thermal pad and AIO today. There is one odd thing that keeps happening but I'm not quite sure what it is? It's noise related, think it might be the CPU fan, or my Monitor. That's for another thread though if it keeps happening lol.

gerardfraser

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
@Octopicake -Your system is normal and long post but can be helpful,if interested
Use HWinfo64 for more accurate temperatures and voltage reading as suggested above.

Your system is normal for Ryzen but with a thermal pad expect a few °C more than with paste but that is fine and you will never know the difference.

AMD CPU algorithm changes many times per second to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control and within safe parameters.So temperatures/CPU clock/Voltage will change all the time and it is impossible to get 100% accurate reading at a particular polling rate but it is good enough and safe.

So Ryzen CPU's has it highest CPU boost and highest CPU voltage when in idle and light loads and the CPU range for default voltage in BIOS is 0.2v-1.5v.

As the workload on Ryzen CPU increases the CPU boost and CPU voltage will be lowered until safe parameters are reached.

IF you want quiet operation while running your Ryzen CPU ,you will have to adjust the CPU fan settings in BIOS for best Results.

I suggest
@56°C -30% Fan Speed Silent on desktop idle up to 56°C as workload increases so will fan speed
@60°C -45% Fan Speed
@65°C -50% Fan Speed
@75°C -100% Fan Speed

IF you want the best performance for your 3800X in multi threaded and single threaded operations you can set your BIOS settings and test for your self.

Your 3800X can perform up to 4650Mhz in single threaded light loads and PC gaming.
Your 3800X can perform up to 4400Mhz in heavy loads such as multi threaded such as Cinebench/Blender

People like testing this software for there Ryzen.I have HWinfo64 open for all settings.

Single Thread-530 score
Multi Thread -5260 score
Idle temperature CPU-28°C
Max temperature CPU-71°C
Max CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) reached-1.431v

Settings in BIOS
MCLK/UCLK/FCLK Synced 1:1:1 1933Mhz ,that's DDR4 3866Mhz for those who do not know.
PBO Manual PPT= 0 actual max limit reached 90.4%
TDC=0 actual max limit reached 81.4%
EDC=1 actual max limit reached 7737.7%
Scaler 10X PBO Override 500Mhz

Multi threaded and single threaded performance
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0VjJ7nfdOw

PC Gaming performance
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hue_XOOT3w4

Solution

Octopicake

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013

So Ryzen CPU's has it highest CPU boost and highest CPU voltage when in idle and light loads and the CPU range for default voltage in BIOS is 0.2v-1.5v.

As the workload on Ryzen CPU increases the CPU boost and CPU voltage will be lowered until safe parameters are reached.

IF you want quiet operation while running your Ryzen CPU ,you will have to adjust the CPU fan settings in BIOS for best Results.

I suggest
@56°C -30% Fan Speed Silent on desktop idle up to 56°C as workload increases so will fan speed
@60°C -45% Fan Speed
@65°C -50% Fan Speed
@75°C -100% Fan Speed

IF you want the best performance for your 3800X in multi threaded and single threaded operations you can set your BIOS settings and test for your self.

Your 3800X can perform up to 4650Mhz in single threaded light loads and PC gaming.
Your 3800X can perform up to 4400Mhz in heavy loads such as multi threaded such as Cinebench/Blender

People like testing this software for there Ryzen.I have HWinfo64 open for all settings.

Single Thread-530 score
Multi Thread -5260 score
Max temperature CPU-71°C

Settings in BIOS
MCLK/UCLK/FCLK Synced 1:1:1 1933Mhz ,that's DDR4 3866Mhz for those who do not know.

PC Gaming performance

Thank you! All is well. Got a thermal pad but had to trim it down a little.

I suggest
@60°C -45% Fan Speed
@65°C -50% Fan Speed
@75°C -100% Fan Speed

Single Thread-530 score
Multi Thread -5260 score
Max temperature CPU-71°C

Settings in BIOS

PC Gaming performance

What type of thermal pad do you mean?