News Ryzen 7 4700G Reportedly Pushes AMD APUs To Eight Cores

The jump to 6 CPU cores in an APU would have been semi-expected, but, 8 instead? Great...!

Now bump the graphics up to something 1050i -level.... and they will sell! The 2200G-3400G-sereis of integrated graphics rivaling a GTX1030 are certainly better than a sneaky crotch kick, but, they lack 'gpu muscle'.... (We'd all like to see GTX1650 SUper-level of APU capability, but, I'm hoping for a small realistic but noteworthy improvement)

CBed19

Prominent
May 11, 2020
I have a feeling we are going to see core counts go up.

Ryzen 3: 6 Core
5; 8 core
7: 12 core
9: 16 core

I bet this CPU is a 4400G or 4600G not a 4700G.
Making the assumption that mobile and desktop SKUs need similar configurations is a stretch.
Who knows though.

It's possible, seeing as Intel will be cutting their pricing for a given core count to roughly match AMD's offerings with Comet Lake. However, if this particular benchmark leak is to be believed, this 8-core processor will be called the Ryzen 7 4700G. That doesn't necessarily mean that other core counts won't be available as Ryzen 7 parts though, as we have seen that with the Ryzen 5 APUs having fewer cores than the other Ryzen 5 parts without graphics.

Another possibility though, is that AMD may keep core counts the same and simply reduce their prices a bit for each of those levels. It might be a bit of a stretch to expect an 8-core Ryzen to launch near $200, as the current models are still priced around $300 for that core-count, but a price under $300 could potentially happen. Of course, depending on how much performance gains the architectural changes of the Zen 3 architecture bring, AMD might not see much need to reduce pricing for a given core count substantially.

Jim90

Distinguished
If they were to 'step over' the more likely several iterations before, they could cause major disruption now, if they paired this up with a suitable RDNA-2 piece. They certainly have the tech to do this. In the end though - and absolutely understandably - it's all about maximising profit against current competition i.e. no company will jump this far into its available tech -if- it is capable of making profit iteratively. Still, the potential is clearly there, now. Interesting times, and well done AMD for 'waking up'.

May 12, 2020

Ryzen 3: 6 Core
5; 8 core
7: 12 core
9: 16 core

I bet this CPU is a 4400G or 4600G not a 4700G.
Making the assumption that mobile and desktop SKUs need similar configurations is a stretch.
Who knows though.

I agree! I think that the Threadripper 4990X or whatever it gets called will be the first ever 128-core CPU. As of now, the Threadripper 3990X is the most top-of-the-line highest-end desktop CPU, with the Epyc 7H12 being the fastest CPU in their server range. It will be good to see AMD beat its own record!

I also want to see Intel bump up their core counts. As of right now, the Core i9-10980XE is its most top of the line highest endesktop CPU on their end, with the Xeon W-3175X being their highest end server CPU. I want to see 32-, 48- or even 64-core Intel CPUs in the future.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
If this is confirmed, this is good news. The AMD G APUs and Intel CPU with IG are great solutions for low or middle cost DIY home, SOHO NAS or any flavor of edge servers. Using the integrated graphics is plenty sufficient for admin. This leaves the PCIe slot (mini-itx) or slots (mATX) free for real RAID cards and/or beefed up network cards, 10Gbe or higher.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I really hate the # naming scheme. It is so confusing. Then add the next ryzen 4000 series.
And when they start producing mobile chips and APUs on Zen 3, that will probably become 5000 series. Not keeping model #s matched to generation #s is snowballing on them. Pretty soon we'll see Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 series, Zen 5 Ryzen 9000 series, etc. Maybe that doesn't matter much to enthusiasts, but Ma and Pa shopping for a new computer are gonna have a hell of a time.

Reactions: gg83