Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
System Configuration:
Operating System: Windows 10 21H2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, no overclock
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B550-Plus, current BIOS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 PSU: Corsair CX600M

Hi All,
I've recently built a new system for use as a Plex server (config above) however any time I install any video driver (currently using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver), the system will BSOD. I can't imagine this is a common issue with the 5700G so I wanted to see if maybe I've overlooked something before I return it to Amazon for a replacement. I've been running Prime95 for 12 hours now with no issue so the system appears to be moderately stable (I understand 24 hours is the standard though). Resolution is fine and this won't be used for anything graphically intensive but I do want a fully functional CPU.

BSOD occurs when I: install the recommended Radeon Software (BSOD at 100% install), install mobo video drivers from Asus (again, at 100% install), or allow Windows to download the driver from Windows Update, including at install (this can BSOD at install completion or every couple minutes). I'm only able to run Prime95 for this long because I've disabled driver updates in GP and installed Windows without internet connectivity. If I do install a driver, I can boot into safe mode without issue. Is there anything you'd recommend I check or do, or would you move straight to the return/RMA process?

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
I've updated the chipset with drivers from Asus: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...aming/tuf-gaming-b550-plus/HelpDesk_Download/ - these work without issue and are what is currently installed. If you believe I should try the AMD provided drivers instead, I can do that.

The Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL) drivers are causing a BSOD. I've installed them twice just to reproduce the error and both times, at 100%, the system will BSOD.

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
This is/was a clean install on a brand new drive. After Prime95 hits the 24 hour mark, I will assume the system is fully stable and I will attempt the Adrenalin 21.10.2 install again but, based on my experience last night, I can expect another BSOD.

I've never had any issues either, which is why I found this odd. Especially since it only seems to BSOD with a video driver. This is about my 10th personal rig, all AMD, and this is the only time I've ever had repeatable issues with their drivers, which makes me think the CPU may be faulty. Were it the drivers alone, there would be hundreds of posts like mine. The VGA drivers from Asus (AMD Graphics Driver V27.20.15026.0 for Windows 10 64-bit) also BSODs, as does Microsoft's Window Update provided video driver.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you certain you have the most recent BIOS for your motherboard installed? Also, what speed is your memory set at in your BIOS? If higher than 2133, try lowering to that level to see if the system becomes more stable. Not all memory will work in all systems at their rated speeds.

If stable at 2133, try raising to 3000 and see what happens.

Reactions: TheIronFistOfDeath

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Yes, absolutely positive. I double checked it last night thinking maybe the update had not applied and Armoury Crate is currently reporting ver. 2423.

DRAM is also reporting 2133 in Armoury Crate. Once Prime95 finishes (~11 hours left to the 24 hour mark), I can bump it up to 3000 to see what happens. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for or just looking for general instability?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, absolutely positive. I double checked it last night thinking maybe the update had not applied and Armoury Crate is currently reporting ver. 2423.

DRAM is also reporting 2133 in Armoury Crate. Once Prime95 finishes (~11 hours left to the 24 hour mark), I can bump it up to 3000 to see what happens. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for or just looking for general instability?
Just looking for a stable baseline to build from.

Reactions: TheIronFistOfDeath

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Just looking for a stable baseline to build from.

Well, the system is stable. 24 hours on Prime95 without issue and 4 passes on MemTest86 at 3000MHz with 0 errors. I cleared the CMOS with the jumper and reloaded the optimized BIOS defaults and ran MemTest86 again @2133MHz with no errors.. Everything seems solid and yet, as soon as I installed Radeon Software again: BSOD at 100%. After that, it'll just BSOD as soon as the OS boots. Can't even get to the sign on screen. This time I booted into Safe Mode and ran the AMD Cleanup Utility. After that, I could boot normally again. I think it's pretty clear there's some display adapter/driver issue. I can't imagine it's the software or it would be more widely encountered so the only thing I can think of is the processor.

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Try booting a Live Linux distro and see if Linux has any wonkiness with the GPU.

So I was able to boot into a live Ubuntu environment. Since I didn't have anything in Windows yet, I figured I'd try the full install but kept hitting error after error and was not able to get the OS installed. So I installed Ubuntu on an old HDD I had and it installed on the first try. I did the same with Windows. No problem. Then I installed Radeon Software: no errors or BSOD (all on the HDD). So that has lead me down the nvme drive BSOD rabbit hole. Apparently, this isn't an entirely uncommon problem with nvme drives and another driver on the system. I'm going to keep messing with it but it seems like the nvme drive is the problem. Maybe Samsung specifically. They don't seem to have supported their 980 line well.

I've made sure I'm in AHCI mode, the drive passes all checks in Samsung Magician, and the firmware is current. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm going to keep messing with it but it seems like the processor was not the issue. If I find an answer, I'll follow up. Just for the sake of being thorough, I'm using: Samsung Electronics (MZ-V8V500B/AM) 980 SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology. I've ordered a Western Digital nvme drive to test with. I have one of their Black drives in my gaming rig and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am sitting between two systems (a third in pieces) using Samsung NVME SSDs and have not had any issues with them. I have a 980 Pro in the system I am using right now and 970 EVO in the one to my left. I am aware of no issues with their drivers/software. Do you have a source for your theory? If so, that would be an interesting read, especially if true.

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Don't know why I didn't think of it before but I put a dedicated GPU in and everything worked flawlessly. From Ubuntu install to Radeon Software in Windows. Needless to say I've returned the processor. Just for thoroughness' sake, I will update once more, assuming this goes as planned, to confirm the issue has been resolved in case someone else has this same issue.

Reactions: Dicat and COLGeek
Jan 24, 2022
ive been having issues shutting of my pc and restarting my pc. cant download radeon update. All of this has taken place since downloading recent armoury crate update. i don’t know if somehow this is related, but i have seen a few other recent posts and everyone seems to have an asus board.

Mar 27, 2022
I recently built one PC with the same CPU and MB and have the same issue. System freeze after installing display driver. If I use PCI-E graphic card, the system seems to be fine. I've tried OEM driver / AMD driver / Windows update driver, all ending up system crashed.
Also tried different RAM and SSD, but it's still the same issue.
Do you have any luck fixing this issue?

Apr 4, 2022
Hello, I have a quite similar setup like the thread opener and I had exactly the same issue. Everytime I installed a graphics driver from AMD, Microsoft or Gigabyte I got a bluescreen.

• Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
  • 2 x (GB Corsair memory (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

I now figured out that after changing the XMPP Auto option in the BIOS concerning the memory to Profile 1, everything works fine.

I hope that helps other people with the problem.

Greetings
Christoph